NEurope
Coolness Bears

Multilingual!!!

I can only speak English! I have learnt Spanish and French in the passed but i barely scrapped through the oral exams so i could not string a sentance together now!

I want to learn Japanese, i'm learning basic stuff at the moment but hopefully i'll progress. :D

How many languages can you speak?

What can you speak?

Do you want to learn other language? Why?

I tried. I failed. The end.

Nah, I did both French and German for 3 years at school, and I'm damned if I can remember anything more than I knew before I started learning it. How I managed to make it through without failing I don't know.

I'd love to learn french, but until they sort the grammar out (It's all the wrong way round!), I'm damned if I'm trying again.

I'd like to learn another language for the sake of learning another language.

I wouldn't mind speaking Japanese, but to learn Kanji and Hiragana and all that? I really can't be arsed. :shakehead

I speak: English, French, German, Italian and Chinese. I can read Spanish and Dutch.

Eu falo Português!

I speak English!

Yo hablo Español!

Je parle un petit peu de Français!

I wouldn't mind learning Japanese or Italian.

Japanese, because I'm in contact with that language more than I should.

Italian, because it looks fun. I can understand enough of it, but it's the only Latin language I have yet to speak (that, and...Latin :heh:)

I have learnt Japanese to the level where I can just about read some books, and hold some conversations. Am always studying it and trying to improve.

Other than that, I've learnt French and Spanish to GCSE level, and can just about read things in French, mostly because it's so similar to English. I also know some Latin and German.

In the future, I would like to study ancient Greek, Korean, Chinese, Hindi, Russian, Hebrew, [insert more langauges]. I would like to be able to understand as many writing systems as possible.

I want to change to linguistics next year. :heh:

awesome barney avatar jonnas :)

id love to know a different language to understand other cultures more but i cant for the life of me :(

French, mostly because it's so similar to English.

Seriously? I find French to be closer to Spanish and Portuguese, while English is the most different.

Maybe French is an easy language, regardless of mother tongue?

EDIT: @Daniel: Well, Barney is awesome, and I wanted my avatar to be legen.......wait for it.........dary.

i'm learning spoken japanese and katakana (for starters) because of my new job :grin: but duuh.. y'all know what already...

i'd like to learn sign language! i knew a little when i was in primary school, made friends with a deaf girl and learnt a bit from her... but it's all gone from my head now....

for all the budding japanese speakers: try japanesepod101 (google it for their website or download the podcasts from itunes) and this flashcard site is great for katakana and hiragana practice.

I obviously am... aside from English I can say I know Spanish like every Portuguese person. I also had a year of French and I could tell it wouldn't be hard at all to learn it. I would like to try a more "exotic" language like Chinese, Japanese or Arabic.

Seriously? I find French to be closer to Spanish and Portuguese, while English is the most different.

I think 1/3 of the English language derives from French, its probably the language that's more similar to them.

Also, Romanian is also a Latin language so, there's one more for you.

I obviously am... aside from English I can say I know Spanish like every Portuguese person. I also had a year of French and I could tell it wouldn't be hard at all to learn it. I would like to try a more "exotic" language like Chinese, Japanese or Arabic.

I think 1/3 of the English language derives from French, its probably the language that's more similar to them.

Also, Romanian is also a Latin language so, there's one more for you.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Romanian.

I'm going to check written Romanian to see how well I understand it.

Well, this is in comparison to say, Japanese. I pick up a book in French and can use my knowledge of derivatives and English words to work out a large amount of it.

i'm learning spoken japanese and katakana (for starters) because of my new job :grin: but duuh.. y'all know what already...

i'd like to learn sign language! i knew a little when i was in primary school, made friends with a deaf girl and learnt a bit from her... but it's all gone from my head now....

for all the budding japanese speakers: try japanesepod101 (google it for their website or download the podcasts from itunes) and this flashcard site is great for katakana and hiragana practice.

My mum can speak semi-fluently in sign language, because she teaches deaf children. However, the vast majority of deaf children don't actually use sign langauge, and she doesn't use it all that much.

Also, Japanesepod101 is indeed good.

Additonally: would also like to learn Arabic.

Well, this is in comparison to say, Japanese. I pick up a book in French and can use my knowledge of derivatives and English words to work out a large amount of it.

Oh, I get it. From an English speaker perspective, French is indeed the closer.

Portuguese, English, some Spanish (just because its similar to portuguese), I scratch at French and will start learning Japanese soon, have a rosetta stone program, will see if it's any good. I suppose I can somewhat understand Latin languages.

I can speak English(native speaker), Punjabi, Hindi & Urdu(only cause its similar to Hindi).

I didn't care much for French in school so didn't bother learning it but still, I can understand basically the jist of most french conversations and, really, in todays world all you really need to know is English lol :P

Saying that though, I'd like to learn sign language, I think its quite awesome.

I doubt that I will have any trouble when it comes to communication in any country (I can also draw however badly).

にほんごをべんきょうします。

nihongo o benkyou shimasu

(I study Japanese :3)

I really got on with German in year 7 but when I moved schools at the beginning of year 8, the German department was awful. I think I could've pulled an A or higher at GCSE at my original school. So I've always thought of a second language - decided to take Japanese alongside my Languages degree at Uni :D

にほんごをべんきょうします。

でも漢字がまだ勉強しませんみたいwwwww

*stops acting like a 2chan user*

I'm also learning Japanese, I made this letter to Nintendo using just a dictionary.

Kawaii Nippon

Watashi wa ketsubou ato nendai no shakuhou.

Watashi wa kirai temae.

I speak english and spanish. I can also understand (read: get the basic gist of) italian and portugese if they're written, fairly similar. I also understand a lot of Catalan so I can psuedo read french as well, never speak these languages of course.

Also I'm learning java and python. :v:

Well I'd love to learn French, German, Polish & Japanese but alas I am lazy so haven't got around to it yet. I do have the Linguaphone Speak French thing, but it seems like a lot of work to learn very little.

I'll probably just get myself a girlfriend of each nationality and get them to teach me. But that's probably more difficult than learning them all by myself.

I can write and speak Icelandic and English.

and I can get by in Danish but mostly just written, the same thing with French.

I can read a little Swedish and Norwegian but that´s just because it´s similar to Danish and Icelandic

でも漢字がまだ勉強しませんみたいwwwww

*stops acting like a 2chan user*

So you know the wwwww aswell.

I know English obviously. Learnt French until Year 9. From Year 8 I was learning Spanish so I took that on to GCSE. Our High school it wasn't an option to not choose a language. Also studied Italian after school but gave up on that.

I know a fair bit of Ukrainian and a have miniscule knowledge of Japanese.

моя iм'я є стефан.

Ah, as well as English I speak an ancient Nubian language called Nobiin.

I'm at a stage where I want to learn a language but can't really decide. Like I aim to learn one (Japanese), then change because I think I wouldn't really need to use it so whats the point? Its logical to learn the top 5 languages, i'm leaning towards French or Arabic.