N-Europe

Universities and shizzle.

Twozzok

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol speaking of with us all having to move back onto campus we were meant to pay a deposit but none of us could be bothered for the sake of a month. Which worked out favourably for my friend as in his flat someone has...lets say caused a mess...and its getting taken out of everyone's deposit.

Lesson is kids, don't pay your deposit ;)

Haha just checked my deposit for the house we were living in and due to interest I've gained £2.66. YES!

Fuel bond should be a one-off. There'll be a deposit to pay as well and you better get used to the idea of not getting it all back, especially if you live with utter *****!

I know, me and my mum (notice it's my mum and not mum and dad? haha he's not entirely bothered as long as it's not too expensive :indeed:), we aren't too bothered, my parents would gladly forsake a fuel bond for my sanity, it's only for a year anyway, we'll see. I'll be happy if I get into the exchange works it seems like a nice place to be living.

Well when you first apply to uni here they reply either with an offer or a flat-out rejection. Usually the offer will demand a certain set of results and/or otehr criteria (like having to get a pretty high grade in english in order to do english at uni, for instance).

Those kind of offers are called conditional offers, but sometimes they can give you unconditional which means you're in regardless of your grades. Only the smartest people get that.

The students are required to apply before mid-january, and can apply to (I think) six universities. Universities are expected to reply before the exams even start. Often the unis will then send prospectus..es? Prospecti? and details about fees and accomodation. The students then have to decide which university is the firm choice (where if tehy get the grades, they HAVE to go to that uni) and which is the secondary, insurance option.

Yeah, results come in around mid-august, and the universities get them maybe the day before? So they accept those who got the grades for the conditional offers and the students find out online and/or at school when they go in to collect their results.

Then there's either celebration, begging to unis or 'clearing'.

Very interesting to see the differences. I have to say, I did very much enjoy knowing the admissions decision by April (if I'd been waitlisted it would've been pretty much early on in May, but a waitlist is usually a "don't count on it: get used to the idea of going somewhere else").

Scotland as Charlie presented it sounds like a nicer version of that system. Waiting till mid-August? How nerve-wrecking. When do universities typically start? Hopefully at least a few weeks after that.

I'm also curious about how financing your education works over there. Is there a large discrepancy between government and private schools in both quality and cost? Private schools have a considerably higher sticker price over here, but they tend to offer substantial scholarships to ensure only a fraction of the student body pays full price. There's not much of a difference between the two here either, at least in terms of employment prospects or graduate school admissions. Class sizes tend to be larger in public schools, though.

Thanks for answering my questions :) I have an unreasonably high level of interest in education.

Unis tend to start around the first/second week of september, I think. Fresher's week is first, mind.

I don't know if british universities give out scholarships as much as american ones do. We don't have any ivy-league football or anything like that. As for private schools... well I'm sure they get more bang for their buck, but I wouldn't be able to tell you to what extent :)

Unis tend to start around the first/second week of september, I think. Fresher's week is first, mind.

I don't know if british universities give out scholarships as much as american ones do. We don't have any ivy-league football or anything like that. As for private schools... well I'm sure they get more bang for their buck, but I wouldn't be able to tell you to what extent :)

Freshers starts around the 18th/19th for me :p

Scotland as Charlie presented it sounds like a nicer version of that system. Waiting till mid-August? How nerve-wrecking. When do universities typically start? Hopefully at least a few weeks after that.

I'm also curious about how financing your education works over there. Is there a large discrepancy between government and private schools in both quality and cost? Private schools have a considerably higher sticker price over here, but they tend to offer substantial scholarships to ensure only a fraction of the student body pays full price. There's not much of a difference between the two here either, at least in terms of employment prospects or graduate school admissions. Class sizes tend to be larger in public schools, though.

If you don't get an unconditional you'll be waiting until the exam results come out in August like I had to for my Strathclyde place.

Finance is Scotland and England is different too. In Scotland the Government pay for our tuition fees whereas in England you have to pay yourself.

Hey people. I'm starting to worry about my application for accommodation...My first choice is Aston and I applied for accommodation on the 12th May...now its the 22nd May and I've heard absolutely nothing from them so far. Does it normally take so long?

This is all presumption but:

1) It depends on the university

2) Probably. I didn't do accom. in the first year, but with my brief experience of it this year they aren't the most go-getum kind of people *

*or as they would say "at this time of the year we are extremely busy"

May be worthwhile just ringing up the university and politely ask if someone could confirm that they received your application form. They may again say they are busy but leave contact details and if you don't hear anything within a few days ring again. Just make sure you appear kind and understanding.

Hey people. I'm starting to worry about my application for accommodation...My first choice is Aston and I applied for accommodation on the 12th May...now its the 22nd May and I've heard absolutely nothing from them so far. Does it normally take so long?

I'm worrying for the same mine's roughly been the same time limit, but you have to remember to be patient if it's a specially sought after place.

*dances a bit*

Now that I have your attention!

Im pretty sure I don't wish to do a postgrad, I don't think its worth the money personally (as in for me personally, rather than I personally think all postgrads aren't). But I believe if you do research that the university wishes to be done they pay for/towards it. So how do I go about finding out what they want researched?

Anyone here doing a Post-Grad this year or has experiences doing one?

I'm hopefully going to Leeds Uni to do a Post-Grad MA in Social Research this September after vowing never to go back to Uni. Just so happens that a 2:1 MA Hons in English does not guarantee you a job!:heh:

*dances a bit*

Now that I have your attention!

Im pretty sure I don't wish to do a postgrad, I don't think its worth the money personally (as in for me personally, rather than I personally think all postgrads aren't). But I believe if you do research that the university wishes to be done they pay for/towards it. So how do I go about finding out what they want researched?

In general you'd be associated with a supervisor and they'll have research interests. Check their uni webpages or just go ask them.

I did an MPhil and just asked around at my uni and emailed lecturers from other unis. I asked what was available with funding (post-grad funding is much nicer than undergrad too btw, for 2004-2005 I got about £10000 tax free) and then made my decision.

In general you'd be associated with a supervisor and they'll have research interests. Check their uni webpages or just go ask them.

I did an MPhil and just asked around at my uni and emailed lecturers from other unis. I asked what was available with funding (post-grad funding is much nicer than undergrad too btw, for 2004-2005 I got about £10000 tax free) and then made my decision.

Thanks for the advice :). I asked generally in careers a while ago and she read a list of ones for this year (which is a year too soon anyway) and was like "theres something about the library (can't remember what exactly) that may work." I was like yeah....

But they may start a media postgrad next year (or the year after, I can't tell) so im thinking if it does start 09 I may see if they can fund me. The staff love me afterall :D

I know it doesn't need to be thought of until later in the year but I like to plan and have aspirations and goals.

Anyone here doing a Post-Grad this year or has experiences doing one?

I'm hopefully going to Leeds Uni to do a Post-Grad MA in Social Research this September after vowing never to go back to Uni. Just so happens that a 2:1 MA Hons in English does not guarantee you a job!:heh:

just out of curiosity what does social research entail?

Guest Stefkov

Just applied for loans online today, it says it's awaiting parents financial information.should be getting some things in the post for that. Also nearly completed forms for accomodation, they make it so difficult don't they.

Should've done them ages ago, ah well.

What does the student loan actually pay for?

I know definitely tuition fees, but do you get money for accomodation on top of that money every term?

Maitenance loan basically means 3 times a year they'll pay you a sum of money to take care of yourself, you can spend it on what ever you want. Clothes, travel, accomodation, alcohol.

My mum and I sat down and finally got the student finance thing sorted, we pay for accomdation, they pay for the tutition, then my parents give me a certain amount for the whole year and student finance spilt it fairly each term. Sounds good to me but I'll end up blowing it all in the first week if I'm not careful.

Guest Stefkov
What does the student loan actually pay for?

I know definitely tuition fees, but do you get money for accomodation on top of that money every term?

From what I read, you can get a Maintence loan and a tuition loan. One for the course which goes straight to the Uni and the other to pay for accomodation. So what Ramar said was right.