NEurope
The fish

AOL: Public Enemy No. 1

For the last week or so, various websites have been outright refusing to load on my laptop, my family PC, and my dad's phone's browser when connecting through our wireless router. Most sites work without a hitch, fast as ever.

The effected sites will all load when attempted on the phone's GPRS internet, but not the router. This lead me to one of three conclusions - there is a virus/spyware/malware of some kind preventing connection to these specific sites on all three devices (highly unlikely as the PC and laptop were scanned with Prevx and the prior was system restored to a week before the issue occurred, plus I experience absolutely no performance changes on the laptop before and after the beginning of the issue), that the router was blocking these certain sites, and that AOL themselves, my family's ISP, are blocking them.

Worryingly, I ensured that the router's firewalls were both set to allow all sites through, even experimentally taking them down, and then ensured that the firmware was clean by updating it.

The only conclusion that I personally can reach is that AOL have decided it is in the best interest of my family to block these websites. Awesome. :blank:

Well, they can look forward to an irate phone call in the morning from my father, which will include the request for the beginning of a transfer to an alternative provider, most likely Be.

Anyone care to offer an alternative explanation, because I can't find one...

Apart from getting the fuck off AOL, no.

What I've been telling my dad for years, but now he listens to me... :indeed:

My dad still uses the AOL dial up web browser for some reason. Even though we went off AOL years ago, and it's basically internet explorer, but with other useless bars all around it meaning you have to scroll for everything. It's horrible.

At least it means he leaves my Firefox alone.

1. Get off AOL.

2. Switch to ANYONE else.

3. ???????

4. Profit

I've been telling my dad that for ages, he doesn't understand. :nono:

Which websites are these? And are you using the AOL software?

EDIT: 'cos we're on AOL, but don't use the software and it's actually really quick for some reason, as in, we're getting 8mb speeds when I think we're only signed for 2mb O_o

we used to have aol broadband (like 4/5 years ago maybe more) when the whole moving providers thing was UBER IMPOSSIBLE.

Because of them we had to have dial up for 9 months til it was sorted =(

I'm on AOL.

Can't wait to switch to Sky (8Mb instead of the 2Mb i've got atm). Telling AOL over the phone that i'm leaving is going to be the sex <3

Which websites are these? And are you using the AOL software?

Any sites that need passwords to be accessed.

I've temporarily remedied the problem with the use of a proxy, but I can't access hotmail. I checked at school today, and I have 54 messages. I feel popular! :yay:

I've temporarily remedied the problem with the use of a proxy, but I can't access hotmail. I checked at school today, and I have 54 messages. I feel popular! :yay:

How many of them were offering to enlarge your penis? :heh:

How many of them were offering to enlarge your penis? :heh:

Lol, that is so true...my gmail gets more than my hotmail though.

Yeah the sooner you get off AOL the better. We've had BT at home for a while now and its not problem at all. So yeah, get the hell out outta there.

Well, i recommend leaving AOL and moving on to another provider. Anyone is better than AOL.

Be careful leaving as AOL may block the line and refuse to give it to another provider to allow you to use them instead until you go back to AOL as my mate had the same problem until he threatened legal action.

Also AOL leaves itself on your PC and is 3/4 removable but still leaves parts of itself on the HDD

Thankfully, i prevented my Dad from going to AOL and we are on BT which has a great service.

Well, i recommend leaving AOL and moving on to another provider. Anyone is better than AOL.

Be careful leaving as AOL may block the line and refuse to give it to another provider to allow you to use them instead until you go back to AOL as my mate had the same problem until he threatened legal action.

Also AOL leaves itself on your PC and is 3/4 removable but still leaves parts of itself on the HDD

Thankfully, i prevented my Dad from going to AOL and we are on BT which has a great service.

I think its now illegal for an ISP not to give you your MAC (migration authorisation code) as soon as you ask for it if your contract is up... That was defintely coming into practice sometime, just not sure if its happened yet.

Are you using the AOL software?

Oh the irony. I called AOL today to cancel :)

I must admit I've rarely had any problems with the connection itself. Basically just the speed. I had to phone and ask why my speed was so poor once and they put a "speed update" on it. It was faster 48hrs later, but when your paying for 2mb you expect 2mb (or thereabouts).

The reason I'm leaving is because there are many ISP's offering 2mb for as little as £14 now. AOL are priced at £17.99 after the first 6months. For 2mb I find that pretty expensive.

I am switching to Bethere Broadband. For £18 they offer "upto" 24mb. Mind you, I'll probably get half of that. But for 1p more I aint too fussed.

I must admit that I NEVER EVER used the AOL browser, which caused problems initially when I bought my wireless router. But when I sorted it (a week later) it was all okay.

AOL now offer wireless routers with their broadband packages yet I bought mine for £50 last year and AOL only accept LOWERCASE on the router settings. That took me HOURS to find out. Now it's stated on the page setup. But I really think AOL is outdated and overpriced. And the call centres are horrific.

I remember trying AOL for a short period when my mum first got her PC about a decade ago, since we had free trial disks spewing from every possible orifice in the house. Too late we realised the trap we had walked into.

Ah, AOL, always good for a big ol LOL. My friend has it and it speaks to you like an answer machine (you have x new massages). The best bit is when it randomly decides you should be a bit tired from all that surfing and signs out and stops everything. It just says 'Goodbye' as if it is rubbing it in, in the most correct Queens english oxford accent ever.

I believe AOL is blocking the ports necessary to use these websites.

At least it means he leaves my Firefox alone.

Why don't you just use separate accounts.

Oh the irony. I called AOL today to cancel :)

I must admit I've rarely had any problems with the connection itself. Basically just the speed. I had to phone and ask why my speed was so poor once and they put a "speed update" on it. It was faster 48hrs later, but when your paying for 2mb you expect 2mb (or thereabouts).

The reason I'm leaving is because there are many ISP's offering 2mb for as little as £14 now. AOL are priced at £17.99 after the first 6months. For 2mb I find that pretty expensive.

I am switching to Bethere Broadband. For £18 they offer "upto" 24mb. Mind you, I'll probably get half of that. But for 1p more I aint too fussed.

I must admit that I NEVER EVER used the AOL browser, which caused problems initially when I bought my wireless router. But when I sorted it (a week later) it was all okay.

AOL now offer wireless routers with their broadband packages yet I bought mine for £50 last year and AOL only accept LOWERCASE on the router settings. That took me HOURS to find out. Now it's stated on the page setup. But I really think AOL is outdated and overpriced. And the call centres are horrific.

I totally recommend to use BeThere. Very good service, ive had no problems and great speeds on using the old 360.