NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Teppo Holmqvist

Horrible Blu-Ray patent!

Here is something really, really fun...

Sony has patented technology for Blu-Ray that makes disc usable only in the first machine where disc is put to. Patent even has following quote:

"By means of the present invention as described above, the following effects are obtained. Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end-user becomes practically impossible. When data recorded on a disk is illegally copied in full, since the exact pattern of the verification data cannot be recreated, the manufacture of counterfeit software becomes extremely difficult, and simple copying to a recording medium becomes meaningless. "

Imagine the possibilites!

No more piracy!

No more used games!

No more lending games to your friends!

No more way to play games that you have bought if your PS3 breaks up!

Hooray for $ony! :)

URL: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=ptxt&S1=(Kutaragi.INZZ.+AND+Sony.ASNM.)&OS=in/Kutaragi+AND+an/Sony&RS=(IN/Kutaragi+AND+AN/Sony)

Sony are fucking retarded.

This will only kill support for blu-ray and make everyone hop to the HD-DVD camp more.

Microsoft supports HD-DVD because it HAS to allow you to copy it.

There is no way PS3 will be as successful as PS2 in my opinion. It may even fail next gen, I mean come on:

• No dedicated online service
  • This blueray shit
  • 2007 maybe?
  • Boomerang controller

If this is true, it'll kill the PS3. No one's going to buy a game they cant lend, resell or take to a mate's house are they?

Wouldn't be the first mistake they've made. Sony are all about DRM and stupid fucking shit format creation.

Yeah but also IF it affects the blu-ray movies then you would only be able to watch it on the ps3 so you wouldn't even be able to watch on the other blu-player (if you got one)

all the people which have no money and have to trade old games in for a new one are gunna get a nasty shock mwhahahaha :P

nice one sony keep digging that grave

but to me this is a will believe it when i see it thing...i just cant see sony being this stupid...what if the PS3 breaks, the people with huge games collections are gunna be fuked

*good point wes*

Heh, no game rentals either. Sony are fucking themselves in the ass more than Nintendo are doing with the WiFi Connection (see the MK thread).

If this happens it'll be the biggest the biggest rake Sony have stepped on so far. It will be even easier to get people to come to the Revolution... hahah

I'd imagine they'd release rentable versions which won't be the same, if they want Blu-Ray to take off as the new DVD then they must know renting=huge. But yeah games you can't lend, trade in etc is just silly.

Doesn't surprise me. What with all this stuff about Sony music CD's installing spyware on peoples computers.

:-| If this is true then hello Xbox 360 winner of the next gen console war.

but revo will be 2nd :P getting better for ninty!

Sign in to follow this