NEurope
Tellyn

Rate the last game you played

(I'm not following the trend of the TV shows one, I was thinking about making this thread last week :heh:)

Here you can tell your fellow N-E-ers about the last games you've played (clearly). :)

Half Life 2 (PC) - 8/10

I'm not too far into it, but it's really engrossing. Unfortunately it crashed whilst the professor was trying to find his vicious bastard of a cat, so I've got "LEMAR-LEMAR-LEMAR-LEMAR-LEMAR" on a loop at the moment. Great stuff.

Endless Ocean (Wii) - 8/10

This was a Christmas present. It's a great game to relax to, and the diving works well with the Remote. I need to find someone to play online with though.

zelda: the phantom hourglass. (DS)

Only really started it, but the excitement of playing it all tonight is killing me =) i love the whole use of the touch screen to move + attack

9/10

Link's Crossbow Training

It's fun in the beginning, but after a while it's get very tedious having to retry because one small mistake.

6/10

Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War

The story is good and the anime great, but the battle system is flawed and the battles is annoyingly difficult at times. FFTA is way better than this

6/10

Pokemon Battle Revolution

The announcer is great and the moves are looking great, but several things is not great at all, which I explained in the other thread

5/10

Ohh another rate the last X you played. I may as well rate a batch this time.

Forza 2 - Fun until I got to the longer races. 6/10

PGR4 - Not quite as good as Forza, but still quite good fun. 6/10

Call of Duty 4 - Fantastic game, one of the best in the last year. 9/10

Assassin's Creed - Fun and an entertaining plot, but very repetitive. 8/10

Gears of War - Co-op is fantastic, but it's horrendously short. 8/10

Bioshock - Utterly fantastic, plasmids are wonderful, great graphical style and decent plot/back-plot. Has a Metroid (Prime) feeling to it. 10/10

Halo 3 - Average. Nothing particularly great about it. Feels like Turok Evolution. 6/10

Mass Effect - Great story, graphics and decent levels. Could be better with a few more months of refining, but still fun. 9/10

Mario & Sonic at the olimpics

Pleasently surprised, really fun and a blast in multiplayer-

Links Crossbow Training

Also surprised, it's very addictive and I actually like the crossbow.

Beyond Good & Evil

Haven't played long enough to pass final judgement, but I'm very disapointed. Sluggish controls, boring overworld, uninspired combat, lots of bugs. I'm guessing most people said it was mega-awesome just because it's an alternative to Zelda

Mario Galaxy

Still playing, it's so much fun ^^ One of the best games ever

Metroid Prime 3 - 10/10.

Not as good as the first and second in terms of content, I completed the game in just over 13 hours, but boy, the Wii remote just makes suits the Prime series so perfectly.

Virtua Fighter 5 - 11/10

I've been playing this nonstop since Dan Dare kicked my ass at this a few weeks ago, and it without a shred of doubt is the most perfect 3D fighter ever made. The move lists are frighteningly large, and there are a huge number of ways you can approach playing as a single character. It's perfectly balanced too. Still using Akira though...man he is one tough guy to master...

Metroid Prime 3 - 10/10.

Not as good as the first and second in terms of content, I completed the game in just over 13 hours, but boy, the Wii remote just makes suits the Prime series so perfectly.

Virtua Fighter 5 - 11/10

I've been playing this nonstop since Dan Dare kicked my ass at this a few weeks ago, and it without a shred of doubt is the most perfect 3D fighter ever made. The move lists are frighteningly large, and there are a huge number of ways you can approach playing as a single character. It's perfectly balanced too. Still using Akira though...man he is one tough guy to master...

Agree on MP3. 10/10 everytime... :heh:

And VF5... I played a bit in a store and I quite liked it... Gotta get myself a 360... I've got the moneyz to do it... so... hmmm... maybe it's too soon.

Rome Total War with Rome Total Realism mod - 9/10

The mod makes this great game even better, and how! It fixes the ahistorical stuff, which actually makes the game play better, and adds more cities, including Paestum, which is now a ruin in Campania, which I have been to! It also extends the map in North and South slightly, and massively to the East, stretching it to the Indus, to give the territory of Alexander The Great, thus making the empires of the Diadochi much more potent enemies, making the game harder, and therefore more satisfying.

Yeah, sorry it's a little long, but I love this game!

Rogue Galaxy

I bought this on impulse because I wanted a new RPG. It's surprisingly good actually, the battle system is action-packed, and it's really big - the maps are huge.

8/10

Assassin's Creed

Godspeed to anyone sad enough to find all the flags.

5/10

Assassin's Creed

Godspeed to anyone sad enough to find all the flags.

5/10

It's worth at least a 7 IMO.

DS

Diddy Kong Racing DS - Good port of the N64 version (because let's face it, that's basically what it is), controls are fine, the "spin to speed boost" method at the start of races is bloody stupid, because i can't get it fast, then move my fingers back to the buttons in time.

Osu, Tatakae, OUUEENNDAAAAN! - Fantastic is the only word to describe it, tons of fun, good tracks an easy to understand game also, doesn't exactly take much learning, pick up and play fun.

Elite Beat Agents - Not quite as good as Ouendan, the tracks aren't AS good, and the fact EBA gets "Elite beat agents are here" whereas Ouendan get OSU, TATAKE, OUEENNDDANN! Still a fun game, but easily overshadowed by Ouendan.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies - What i love is that it contains Retro Evolved, so i have one of the best Xbox 360 games on the move, the new game is quite good also, though the levels could sorta do with.. and "end" to them.

Dementium: The Ward - Serious underdog this one is. With headphones on, the experience is all the better, for a DS game to also increase my heart rate a little is quite a feat, graphics are probably similar to RE:DS's (though i haven't tried that one). Controls are very good also (Stylus to look and select items/open doors etc, DPad to move, L Button to use whatever you're holding, be it a weapon, torch, etc.) Though i've only played Chapter 1 so far, iid recommend it already (head over to the Dementium thread for more details)

PC

Unreal Tournament 3 - What lets this game down is the fact there are no goddamn servers online! Not one in Deathmatch that i could find, where i can go on CS: Source and find 1000, or hit a couple of hundred on TF2 quite easily.

Otherwise it's a pretty solid game, though even in single player you can't avoid n00bish taunts from the Bots (well, you can if you turn it off in the settings). It's a good looking game too. As always the same range of weapons. As for vehicles i love the tripod, it looks like one of the tripods from War Of The Worlds, and has the same weapon to boot. Very fun game, recommended for people in search of a new FPS on the PC.

The Witcher - Now this is underrated and underhyped. Absolutely fantastic game, it looks good, it's got some serious depth LOADS to do. This game is serious proof that PC RPGs do not need to be online to be awesome, this shits all over something like WoW. The fighting mechanic is good, alchemy is there, blending items together to make your potions, levels aren't necessarily there (like levelling up in other RPGs), but you do gain your talent points and stick them on different attributes, things like strength, figting, endurance, etc.

Effects are also felt in this game, on things like toxicity. Drink too much alcohol, things start to blur, your hero starts to sway. Night/day affects the game alot also, creatures that need to be disposed of for a quest may only appear at night for example. But the day/night phase can be skipped to through meditiation, (which is also when you assign your talent points, mix your items to make potions, etc. Meditiation can also remove the effects of alcohol or other things, putting it simply meditiation is alot like sleeping).

Also, the day/night phase can effect the safety of an area, for example an area that may be safe to meditate/wander in during the day, can become a dangerous place to loiter around at night.

I'm sure if you're really interested "proffesional" reviewers will tell you more about the game, but i recommend this to all PC gamers.

Agree on MP3. 10/10 everytime... :heh:

And VF5... I played a bit in a store and I quite liked it... Gotta get myself a 360... I've got the moneyz to do it... so... hmmm... maybe it's too soon.

Doooo it! You won't be disappointed :).

Uncharted Drakes Fortune: Beautiful graphics and smooth gameplay. It can get abit tiresome with the gun fights though. 8.5/10

Call of Duty 4: What a great game. I've played some games online and it's so addictive. 9/10

Up tp a point the hardness is great, then it's just cheap and artificial. It made me give up on it.

The only real hindering problem with the game is the camera, if that was fine then the only reason for people finding it 'too' hard would be their failure to manipulate the combat system to its full extent.

I'm on my second play through at the moment, I'm coming up to the Boss fight with Alma soon, bitch is going down within 5 tries this time.

The main problem is that it doesn't let you retry you need to reload, it just puts me off and takes any joy from the challenge the game provides.

Up tp a point the hardness is great, then it's just cheap and artificial. It made me give up on it.

Yeah, it was an amazing game for about the first few hours, but it gets really excessive, and you don't have any motive to master the fighting system cause it's not a multiplayer fighter. I reckon DMC3 is better, especially because you can choose the difficulty you play on, and it doesn't make you feel cheated all the time.

Oh, and:

Phoenix Wright: Justice For All - 9/10

Took me ages to finish, cause I got lazy, and it's not as amazing as the first game, but yeah, absolutely brilliant series of games, gonna get Trials and Tribulations soon, should be good. The only problem with the series is that in the last case, there is always a ton of guesswork going on, and some objections are just to obscure to see straight away, so you end up presenting every piece of evidence that might have even a tenuous link to whatever point you're trying to make...but meh, like the story. Great games.

Metroid Prime 3

Exactly what it says on the tin. 10/10

I wrote a little review a while back, read it if you want.

Just completed it. Veteran, 100% items, 16 hours 38 minutes.

Another brilliant entry in the Prime series. Despite the foreign (though action-packed) opening, the game still feels like a prime game. Lots more exploration to do, upgrades to find and baddies to blast. The game had great locations, awesome puzzles and ace bosses. As long as it didn't depart from any of that, it was always going to be amazing. It was however lot more plot driven. While it didn't feel very "metroidy", it didn't make too much difference to the overall gameplay, although they went a bit overkill with the amount of set pieces.

The two things that made it stand out from the other two prime games were the controls and hypermode. The motion controls were superb and it really made fighting space pirate more immersive and more intense. Hypermode was also, I felt, a great addition and it really helped mix up the combat.

The weapons were a step up from Echoes' annoying light/dark ammo system, and the new stackable approach worked fairly well. Still, not quite as good as the awesome power/wave/ice/plasma beams in Prime 1 (and their brilliant missile combos). Speaking of that, where was the Super Missile? Or Power Bomb? Instead we get the hardly ever used ship missiles. Still, the addition of hypermode was awesome.

Progressing through the game was a lot easier than in the other prime games. Even with the hint system off, the game basically tells you what to do next, which was disappointing because discovering where to go for yourself was something that made Metroid great. Getting 100% items was a lot easier as well. Most of the pickups were just too easy to find, the few you miss get pointed out to you anyway thanks to a certain room.

The things that annoyed me most about this game were the set pieces involving infinitely respawning enemies (especially when the enemies were pirates in hypermode). The game forced you to figure out the puzzle while being constantly bombarded. While being challenging was probably the intention, there were too many of them, and when you just couldn't figure out what to do they were really damn frustrating.

Other bad points: the loading times on some of the doors were horrendous; the grapple beam motion did not always work perfectly, neither did the morth ball jump.

The final part of the game was well... unexpected. Didn't particually enjoy the long crawl to the final boss room. Final boss was awesome, if a little underwhelming if compared to Metroid Prime from Prime 1. The 100% ending, annoyingly, left on some daft cliffhanger.

All in all a fantastic game. Anyone with a decent taste in games must play this. Not quite as good as Prime 1, but definately on a par with Prime 2. I sincerely hope Nintendo use these FPS controls to make a great multiplayer shooter for the Wii (seeing as it's lacking one at the moment).

Super Mario Galaxy

Superb, let down though because of it's difficulty. Where's the challenge? Still, it's well polished, controls great, some outstanding music and enough ideas to make it fun and refreshing throughout. 9/10

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Story wise, this is everything a Phoenix Wright fan could hope for. Wraps up the series in a satisfying way. The new prosecuter, Godot, is excellent. This is the first game to have many cases all linked with each other, and as a result PW3 feels the most well rounded game of the three. Again the dialogue is witty and at times hilarious. Case 3 is, however, farfetched and has a crew of characters you couldn't give a rat's arse about. In terms of gameplay, not much is new, but the lengths of the cases are just about right, and the difficulty is spot on. Overall, a great end to a great series. 8/10

Zelda - Phantom Hourglass

Very disappointing. A case of dumbing it down so all the casual tards can play it. This game didn't need or even want touch controls. What we have is simple and monotonous gameplay. While some of the touch controls for some of the items work pretty well, it isn't necessary and would have worked better with normal controls. The dungeons are all strictly linear and and have very easy puzzles and bosses. Exploration equates to going from island to island and seeing what little there is. The game is too easy, most enemies require only a few taps of the stylus to defeat. The worst part of the game is The Temple of the Ocean King. It was just a bad idea. Unfortunately, the game turns out to be very stale and not actually that fun. I hope they Nintendo return to making the 2D Zeldas of old that made the series what it is. 6/10

The main problem is that it doesn't let you retry you need to reload, it just puts me off and takes any joy from the challenge the game provides.

I'll agree with you there, that can be a real bitch in some parts, especially when you reach an end of level boss and have to do half of it all over again, fortunately though that doesn't occur too much.

Still for its genre (Hack n' Slash) it stands tall above its main competitors: God of War and Devil May Cry, and I love Devil May Cry.

Guitar Hero 3 - Although I only play with the 360 pad, like a noob.

(I also beat Domstercool)

Damn pad users :P

Ah well, still a master of through the fire and flames! :>

This thread would probably be better if it was "Rate the last game you finish" otherwise it's going to fill up fast with probably a lot of the same stuff. O_o

Zell, me and you have such similar gaming opinions lol.

Anyways, the last game i played was Contra 4...

-Fantastic game and it's a great addition to the series. Haven't completed it but that's mainly because the difficulty is stupidly hard (which also makes it Contra tbh lol). The fact that you unlock the original contra aswell makes it well worth the effort. 9/10

Guitar Hero 3:

-This game rocks, and i'm sure everyone else who has it would agree. I've got the wii version and it feels awesome to activate Star Power by shaking teh guitar. Awesome songs in it and i can't wait to finish hard mode! 9/10

Phoenix Wright 3:

-As Zell said this was a fantastic way to end the series. Fantastic script, great ideas, and the way the cases were linking was brilliant. I absolutely loved the final case as it really represented what the games are about in general; fighting on to the bitter end ('Lawyers don't cry until it's all over').

Infact, my fav quote was probably this:

Phoenix: It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. We defense attorneys are warriors who are constantly challenged by that question. Even when the battle is over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again ..

Wicked game. 9/10.

Halo 3

I love this game. One of the best online multiplayer games. 9.5/10

COD4

This game is one of the best if not the best realistic FPS games. 9/10