NEurope
Slaggis

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

...really? Wow, you guys need some pop culture.

These are what I believe I haven't heard of:

Comedy

The Armando Iannucci Shows (2001)

The Thick Of It (2005)

Kenny vs Spenny (2002)

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005)

Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! (2007)

Trailer Park Boys (2001)

Nathan Barley (2005)

The Colbert Report (2005)

Drama

Angels in America (2003)

Torchwood: Children Of Earth (2009)

Children’s

Something Special (2007)

Factual

The Genius Of Photography (2007)

The Power Of Nightmares (2004)

...really? Wow, you guys need some pop culture.

I'm planning on watching The Wire, but whichever channel it was decided to show it daily. Perhaps I should look into the DVD.

4. It was Brooker co-written, I'm surprised you never watched it. In fact, I assumed you had all these years.

I've fully seen 9 of those on teh list. Needs some BSG, Dexter, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, Kings, Carnivale, Look Around You, and for 'cultural impact' Heroes should be there, as should House (but then, I don't really know the criterion you have).

Actually that's a point. If you're going for cultural impact then Wife Swap, Big Brother and a shitload of shit should also technically be on there.

Has Heroes had much "cultural impact"? Other than mass-mind-numbing of the general public?

You ask most people (certainly in America and the UK) "have you heard of the show Heroes" and theres a good chance they'll say yes. So yes, its impacted upon the conscience collective.

Stuff with cultural impact isn't necessarily good.

I wish that Mr. Jack Wills had never opened his shop.

Stuff with cultural impact isn't necessarily good.

I hope this appears in the "No S**t Sherlock" section of tomorrow's Metro :heh:

I'm liking killthenet's list more and more, if not just because of the discussion potential.

Actually that's a point. If you're going for cultural impact then Wife Swap, Big Brother and a shitload of shit should also technically be on there.

Big Bro was a noughties thing, wasn't it? But yeah, I think some of killthenet's list is off (eggheads?!) so would like some definition, so I can have a go at making my own list :P

Has Heroes had much "cultural impact"? Other than mass-mind-numbing of the general public?

Save the cheerleader...

We may have to define 'cultural impact' :P Ideally we're talking about shows that altered the way we perceive TV, or the way we simply watch it. Perhaps such an impact would be seen in how networks operate - as in a subsequent overload of copycat shows. In that sense, at least, I think Heroes was lucky enough to appear at just the right stage of the superhero dominance of cinema to ride the wave on the smallscreen in ways that similar previous shows, like 4400, failed to do.

While I admit my mind is fairly blank (besides misfits and, to some extent, Flashforward which is arguably following Lost's footsteps more closely) for recent copycats, I do remember feeling/thinking/saying "heroes totally did that first" (despite thinking the same thing about heroes copying other shows) several times.

From that tangent sparks this; if we have misfits then where are our other brit teen TV shows, like Skins and inbetweeners?

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005)

Thank you for reminding me about this! My friend showed me an episode on the train the other day and I could not stop myself from laughing, loudly, and the people glared at me. Must buy it.

Comedy wise I'd add Spaced, Nighty Night and Garth. I'll browse the rest of the list when I'm not supposed to be sleeping.

stuff

I get what you mean, I just don't think Heroes has had that much of any impact. But I'm not the best judge, I don't watch THAT much T.V, and thought Heroes was shit and try and forget everything about it.

Something like Twilight cries cultural impact, media/entertainment wise, to me. I'm sure it does to you and I'm just going about nothing for no reason. :p

Graham Norton with Robert Downey Jr and Will Young

Amazing. For the last 15 minutes (When Will Young came on) I laughed so many times. When he tried to blow the tea-pot I laughed so damn hard.

Funny.

Buzzcocks - Jamelia and Lily Allen

"You said Javine's a slag!"

*Laughs*

"....Yeah, but she really is a slag".

Or the bit at the end where Lily wants more points, gets a hug and then the round ends. Amazing. So annoyed Simon Amstell has left.

Thank you for reminding me about this! My friend showed me an episode on the train the other day and I could not stop myself from laughing, loudly, and the people glared at me. Must buy it.

Comedy wise I'd add Spaced, Nighty Night and Garth. I'll browse the rest of the list when I'm not supposed to be sleeping.

Agreed - but Spaced is 1999! Doh :(

I get what you mean, I just don't think Heroes has had that much of any impact. But I'm not the best judge, I don't watch THAT much T.V, and thought Heroes was shit and try and forget everything about it.

Something like Twilight cries cultural impact, media/entertainment wise, to me. I'm sure it does to you and I'm just going about nothing for no reason. :p

I think you're right. If I say 'cultural impact' then Heroes hasn't really done much at all! When we have the "I <3 the 00's" I suppose it'll have a brief mention somewhere... Hum.

Ashley: Big Brother has been culturally significant, yes, but I didn't include it on this list because it began in the 1990's. I didn't include Big Love, Dexter, Heroes et al because I didn't find them to be too culturally significant in terms of their content, with the likes of The Wire, Misfits and Six Feet Under telling us more about our culture and our humanity.

In terms of the comedy I certainly went overboard with my listings, the only selections on there that I would say hold a real cultural significance would be Peep Show, The Thick Of It, The Office and Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! The rest were simply shows that I enjoyed immensely or felt at least said something about the psychology of people in the last decade (as evidenced by the psychosis of Kenny vs Spenny & It's Always Sunny).

EDIT: Oh, and I count Curb as 90's too because of the pilot.

Ashley: Big Brother has been culturally significant, yes, but I didn't include it on this list because it began in the 1990's. I didn't include Big Love, Dexter, Heroes et al because I didn't find them to be too culturally significant in terms of their content, with the likes of The Wire, Misfits and Six Feet Under telling us more about our culture and our humanity.

In terms of the comedy I certainly went overboard with my listings, the only selections on there that I would say hold a real cultural significance would be Peep Show, The Thick Of It, The Office and Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! The rest were simply shows that I enjoyed immensely or felt at least said something about the psychology of people in the last decade (as evidenced by the psychosis of Kenny vs Spenny & It's Always Sunny).

EDIT: Oh, and I count Curb as 90's too because of the pilot.

Big Love is a metaphor for homosexual marriage (as well as still being of significance due to the continued practice of polygamy) and it launched in 2006 for a reason ;) And it says a lot about contemporary society and the subjugation of women within it.

Personally I'd say if you've got Trailer Park Boys in there then you should have that. We can't have Canadians getting big headed ;)

Edited by Ashley

Dexter - Season 1

I liked, but didn't love. Then it got to the final couple of episodes and it hit me just how much I was enjoying it. Absolutely fantastic and utterly twisted. Cannot wait to get started on the second season.

Glee - Pilot

Re-watched on E4 and I loved just as much the second time round. It has the same appeal for me that Ugly Betty does, it's total escapism.

Glee - Ballad

Brilliant. It was nice to finally see some proper emotion from Gwen and the situation she's in with her family was heartbreaking. The Stand By Me performance was completely amazing. So damn sweet and I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face throughout.

One thing though. I don't like how some of the songs are brilliant show choir versions and then others are just basically watered down karaoke versions. But when they get it right, it's fantastic.

Glee - Pilot

Re-watched on E4 and I loved just as much the second time round. It has the same appeal for me that Ugly Betty does, it's total escapism.

Glee - Ballad

Brilliant. It was nice to finally see some proper emotion from Gwen and the situation she's in with her family was heartbreaking. The Stand By Me performance was completely amazing. So damn sweet and I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face throughout.

One thing though. I don't like how some of the songs are brilliant show choir versions and then others are just basically watered down karaoke versions. But when they get it right, it's fantastic.

Wait, what? Glee has already started?! I MISSED IT! NO! TELL me it's repeated! :cry:

Wait, what? Glee has already started?! I MISSED IT! NO! TELL me it's repeated! :cry:

It started last night, but I've also been watching online. I'm sure it will be at some point...but they're only showing the first episode. The rest start in January. :)

Glee - Sectionals (Finale until April)

This made me feel so happy. Their performance at Sectionals was brilliant, especially "You Don't Alway Get What You Want". It was great to see some storyline's get wrapped up, or at least get a good kick up the backside finally.

Happy television. :)