NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emasher

Should Gym Be Optional in high school?

Do you think gym should be optional in high school.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think gym should be optional in high school.

• It should be optional in all four grades
    • It should only be mandatory in grade 9
    • It should only be mandatory in grades 9 and 10
    • It should be an option in grade 12 only
    • It should be mandatory throughout high school
    • Other (please specify in post)

You should just give people an option.

If kids want to sit down and do sod all, getting fat then they can. Those who want to keep fit can go to the gym and keep fit. You're forced to learn about stuff, I mean (not being racist) why the hell do I need to be taught about Jews in an R.E lesson in a Catholic school?? What. the. hell.

At least give the kids one thing to decide for themselves.

I'm the same as Oxigen aswell. Most of what he said is the same as me apart from instead of standing up for myself no-one ever tried to mess with me. I'd probably just rip their face off so they didn't even try. I'm not exactly skinny but I was never really picked last in football. Sometimes even picked by like the best guy in my year at football (he's actually playing at Blackpool FC. Check on Fifa, he's there damnit!). Being picked by him just to go goalkeeper was pretty wierd.

Should be compulsary untill 16/17 cause there's to many people becoming obese and they need as much exercise they can get.

And if you get into it P.E is pretty fun with Badminton,Basketball and Gymnastics (so fun climbing that rope)

Its not that I can't stand up for myself, out of all the people who get picked on I can probably stand up for myself best. And I'm not fat either, I'm one of the skinniest people in my year. Though I'm not that fit either. I do however get exercise from other things and probably more than I'll ever get in gym.

Gym is just depressing at my school, the people who are good at basketball purposely throw basketballs at your head, the teachers don't care even if you and the basketball player start physically fighting.

The mark in gym is based on the dreaded fitness logs and also theory tests. It didn't bring my average down much this year as I got in the high 80s however there was one time I got in the low 70, that really hurt my average, most of my other marks were 90s. The teachers gave us our fitness logs and told us to fill them out with all the stuff we do over the next few months. They didn't tell us until after we handed them in that we couldn't use arrows and ditto marks so I and most other people got 2/10. Many people just lie on these anyway.

People saying that gym builds team spirit, your wrong you get openly flamed by your own team mates if you make a mistake in a recreational game of volley ball.

It doesn't build good sportsmanship either as games like dodgeball and yoshi's island just turn into whoever cheats the most wins.

This forum is full of fatmen. Seriously, lazy fatmen.

My sixth form no longer has P.E/Gym unless you look it at A Level (which, lets face it, no one is going to do given the choice)

I miss it because it was fun to the max, but I can understand why some people may resent it.

I loved the obligitory school run every year too, although some people nearly died doing it. It was only 1 goddamn mile.

I'm sure Coolness Pears will have some stories about his School's cross country races.

Definitely mandatory all the way throughout school. The fitness levels in Scotland at the moment are appalling. 2nd fattest nation in the world. At the moment in my old school you get 2 periods of PE a week in first and second year, then alternating between 1 and 2 in 3rd year and then 1 a week in 4th year.

After that you only do PE if you choose it.

I think there should be a compulsoray period of PE for everyone every single day. If you 'forget' your kit you should be given stuff to wear. You should also need a doctors note toget out of doing it rather than a note from your parents.

I don't know how it is in europe but in Canada Gym is now a required credit in order to pass high school.

Do you mean Physical Education

A thin and fit one at that.

Congratulations, now you only have to worry about your unexistant personality.

Congratulations, now you only have to worry about your unexistant personality.

Haha.

Isn't it nonexistant?

I don't know why so many people hate PE. I loved it.

One day i had about 4 or 5 periods of PE on my timetable. I think it was a Thursday.

Anyway it should be mandatory throughout high school, there were too many lazy buggers in my high school.

Honestly, I didn't like it back then, I don't like it now. And I don't know anyone who's changed their mind about it because of it. Do you?

Yes, lots.

Sportsmanship? That's crap, there's always been two groups of people in PE: the ones who're good, and the ones who get picked last. How the fuck does that encourage sportsmanship and teamwork or help build confidence??

That means there is clearly a problem with the way PE is being taught, not PE itself.

From what I gather, the problem everyone had with PE had to do with classmates and teachers, not PE itself. Just like everything else in school.

If PE should be optional because of that, so should every other discipline.

End result: most of the population can't solve logical problems or write properly because they thought math and english/portuguese/whatever were too difficult. They would also be fat and unhealthy because PE was also optional.

Firstly: my two cents: it should be compulsory up to the end of the year you turn 16 (second GCSE year in England and Wales), after which, as school is non-compulsory, it should still be required, but what you do is up to you, and is your responsibility.

A few international things - I suggest a mod edits all posts that reference year groups/'grades' to ages, and that it be referred to as PE, mainly because it's a European forum, as, in the UK/Ireland at least, "Gym" refers to a room, normally in a sports club/school, that has exercise machines.

A few international things - I suggest a mod edits all posts that reference year groups/'grades' to ages, and that it be referred to as PE, mainly because it's a European forum, as, in the UK/Ireland at least, "Gym" refers to a room, normally in a sports club/school, that has exercise machines.

The mods don't know what all the year groups/grades are. In Scotland you start again at 1 at the end of Year 7 (Primary 7). :heh:

Primary 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 = Year 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7

Secondary 1 = Year 8

S2 = Year 9

S3 = Year 10

S4 = Year 11

S5 = Year 12

S6 = Year 13

And in Scotland the cut-off date for which year group you are is at the end of February which I think is different to England? Which means that the ages for the year groups will be wrong too. Some people in Scotland go into 6th year only just having turned 16 and some people wil leave 6th year being 18.

Someone with a good average is a pretty complete person, yes? If so then why should physical fitness and knowledge of human biology not count?

P.E. is compulsory because it is good for you. You may not like it but that doesn't matter, you still need it.

Mandatory.

And I don't understand how people can not like PE, unless they have something medical / physical limiting them. It's the best class you get. When I had to sit out of it for 8months due to a knee injury I hated it.

I think you should do it, and then you can choose whether or not to do it when you choose your options.

I don't like geography, does that mean I should choose not to do it when I'm 14 or something. No. If we all chose to not do something we didn't like doing, then nothing would ever get done.

Firstly: my two cents: it should be compulsory up to the end of the year you turn 16 (second GCSE year in England and Wales), after which, as school is non-compulsory, it should still be required, but what you do is up to you, and is your responsibility.

Gym is slang for PE, there the same thing.

I put the north american grade system in the first post.

My point is they don't teach us anything in PE, if they actually taught us how to live healthy fine but they just tell us to do stuff not actually explaining it.

The mods don't know what all the year groups/grades are. In Scotland you start again at 1 at the end of Year 7 (Primary 7). :heh:

Primary 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 = Year 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7

Secondary 1 = Year 8

S2 = Year 9

S3 = Year 10

S4 = Year 11

S5 = Year 12

S6 = Year 13

And in Scotland the cut-off date for which year group you are is at the end of February which I think is different to England? Which means that the ages for the year groups will be wrong too. Some people in Scotland go into 6th year only just having turned 16 and some people wil leave 6th year being 18.

Wrong mate, our Primary 1 is their reception. Our Primary 2 is their Year 1.

Gym is slang for PE, there the same thing.

Here (and in most of the Anglophone world) it's a slang term for gymnasium, a different thing.

I love doing tennis, athletics etc, but I dreaded winter when we did Rugby and Football. Still, I know it was for my own good. It needs to be compulsory up to 16, like it is at the moment. I mean, kids are getting obese as it is.

Sign in to follow this