NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Prototype

Well no you can only put into it what they give to you, which in this case isn't a whole lot. It lloks like they give you powers but when the streets are just an assortment of copy and pasted crowds, repetitive attacks with boring buildings (no proper vocal points) and you can't even see that far because it doesn't load fast enough then it's bound to get boring.

The video posted back shows you how bad it is.

Well, just checked on Gamerankings.com and it's:

Prototype (PlayStation 3)92.60%

Prototype (X360) 85.60%

Prototype (PC) 96.50%

So... that IGN is on the lower scale of things. Not sure why the 360 score is lower, one of those things.

Activision have been blocking reviews lol. Not a good sign.

the impressions are that this is very average and quite dissapointing.

Well no you can only put into it what they give to you, which in this case isn't a whole lot. It lloks like they give you powers but when the streets are just an assortment of copy and pasted crowds, repetitive attacks with boring buildings (no proper vocal points) and you can't even see that far because it doesn't load fast enough then it's bound to get boring.

The video posted back shows you how bad it is.

It does give you a lot, the "tools" are all there, just because you don't have a "go here, do this" structure doesn't mean it wont be fun.

Yeah its strange, specially since I've heard many reviewers giving really good opinions about it.

Yeah its strange, specially since I've heard many reviewers giving really good opinions about it.

ActivisionBlizzard for you.

MMm. I'm still gonna buy it anyway, simply because I need a new game right now. This one seems as good as any.

It does give you a lot, the "tools" are all there, just because you don't have a "go here, do this" structure doesn't mean it wont be fun.

Well it's a 'go here, do this, then go here again, do this again' structure. You wouldn't want to roam this city just to have a laugh, the motions get boring just playing. Plus you aren't invited to explore (why you'd want to I don't know, there isn't anything interesting about the architecture) because just flying around makes the police follow you so you'd be constantly caught in fights.

You know this, or you are going on the word of the IGN writer?

Mostly on the IGN writer as well as the videos. Many parts of the review are opinion but the parts I've shown are pretty much fact. It looks like it'll grow stale quickly.

Pretty much fact, and you haven't played it.

You'll forgive me if I ignore you.

Well it's a 'go here, do this, then go here again, do this again' structure. You wouldn't want to roam this city just to have a laugh, the motions get boring just playing. Plus you aren't invited to explore (why you'd want to I don't know, there isn't anything interesting about the architecture) because just flying around makes the police follow you so you'd be constantly caught in fights.

Funny because that's exactly what I do in this sort of game.

Funny because that's exactly what I do in this sort of game.

I think thats what a lot of people do, including myself.

I still play Spider-Man 2 on the original Xbox from time to time to do just that.

Pretty much fact, and you haven't played it.

You'll forgive me if I ignore you.

I should ignore you, with arrogance like that. Rarely do I become so bored when watching gameplay footage, after 2 minutes of the video there was a paint-dry moment.

And your classic assumption of 'oh you haven't played it' doesn't apply here. This sandbox game, like many others, gives you freedom that can't be taken at face value.

OK if you like wandering around constantly killing people by shoving a car into their face then fine. I've had enough of that stuff.

Played a bit today and it's ok. From what I've done it has been trying to keep me pretty linear so far but I think I've reached a part where I can explore. I think dwarf is spot on by what he said about the crowds, buildings and landscape in general. Not very in-depth, unique or polished and definatly no Liberty City. It starts off at the end of the game with a maxed out character and destroyed city and then takes you back to the beginning where you survived... whatever it is you survived and got your powers from. I like the running and jumping accross buildings which is perfect for launching to get height above a tank or helicopter but not so good if you want to remain unknown. From what I played at the beginning I couldn't switch what sort of arm extension I had as it did it for me at differenct sections, I hope this is different later on. The absorb ability is cool even if it is a big contrast to a destroy everything appeal. Can't see a big need to sneak, the character feels indestructible.

Prototype isn't really a game of exploration though. It's also less visually striking and varied than last month's inFamous, and less stylish than Crackdown

That's pretty much what I said. And other things as well, so at least I have some backup evidence if it was ever needed.

Agreed its not a good sign...but also slightly worrying as so many journos on podcasts and such like have said how much they have enjoyed infamous but that they really can't wait to get started on prototype. So to find out its not all that is disappointing.

That's pretty much what I said. And other things as well, so at least I have some backup evidence if it was ever needed.

You forgot the part where it said it isn´t really criticism to the game because it tries not be that.

Rather that it tries to be fun and gory, which according to him it succeeds at that.

That also happens to be what people were expecting from this game, something mindless, fun and gory not a masterpiece.

Well just in case someone brought that up, I thought to myself, well, why would you make a gore-filled romp and sandbox game? More linear levels would've been more suitable, ala Madworld, instead of block by block running so that you can get to a destination. They could've still had a few buildings to drop from but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

And if it's just a mindless romp then I could see why it would be fun for that, but the ambition in design makes it seem like it was intentionally made for more.

And Shino the things it isn't are things you would've actually liked.

Agreed its not a good sign...but also slightly worrying as so many journos on podcasts and such like have said how much they have enjoyed infamous but that they really can't wait to get started on prototype. So to find out its not all that is disappointing.

I agree but lets see. I dont know the logic of blocking reviews for thistype of game. Its not like a big movie where plot points get spoiled.

I agree but lets see. I dont know the logic of blocking reviews for thistype of game. Its not like a big movie where plot points get spoiled.

I don't think its about plot points. I think its about scores. More a case of them making them hold back on the reviews till after release so that they don't lose out on Day One sales by people getting put off as a result of the rubbish reviews.

I should ignore you, with arrogance like that. Rarely do I become so bored when watching gameplay footage, after 2 minutes of the video there was a paint-dry moment.

And your classic assumption of 'oh you haven't played it' doesn't apply here. This sandbox game, like many others, gives you freedom that can't be taken at face value.

OK if you like wandering around constantly killing people by shoving a car into their face then fine. I've had enough of that stuff.

In what way is mine arrogance? Forgive me for not taking the word of a random person on the internet who hasn't experienced the thing he is talking about. Maybe you're right, maybe not, but the arrogance of "pretty much a fact" is quite clear.

I shall buy Prototype none-the-less, because I want to make my own mind up about this one. Assassins Creed was ridiculously repetitive and yet I still completed and enjoyed that one.

Wow nice turn around 'arrogance of...' that's something Boris Johnson would say when he doesn't have a democratic solution. Yeah I'm a random guy on the net, that's a shit point. I've not made unfair judgements, they are what I can SEE and what has been SAID.

It was arrogance because you just said you'd ignore me, nothing else in that comment (constructive), it's the equivalent of a polite 'fuck you'. Why don't we just both add each other to ignore lists seeing as you're such a stirrir?

Both of you shut the fuck up.

dwarf, you don't like it, diddums. Why are you still in this thread?

Gizmo, I hope you like it.

I'll rent this. Since the initial hype died down it never really picked up so I'm not convinced. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.