Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

It seems the editors of Famitsu may have hired a new staff writer: in the latest issue, the magazine has enlisted the help of Assassin’s Creed producer Jade Raymond in interviewing famed Japanese developer Hideo Kojima.

In the piece, translated by Develop, Raymond spoke of the differences in culture and play style between different game markets, and asked Kojima how he creates games that are anticipated in both his native Japan and the West.

“The fundamentals of game design, and how the game controls, come from listening to my instinct, so those aspects get made first,” replied Kojima.

“The rest we adjust depending on the region. For example, the new system where you can read books to restore your spirit is in all versions of the game, but things like the speed of the recovery are changed depending on region.”

Raymond then asked how he feels about violence in games, given the current issues surrounding games and the Japanese market.

“I don’t think there are many games that tackle violence head on,” he said

“When you hit someone or inflict pain, faces get disfigured for example, and I want to make games that show that sort of thing.”

“If you don’t see the pain, you can’t understand what you’ve done, and you’ll pass through battles without taking responsibility for your actions. I don’t want to ignore that. I want players to think, even if it’s just a little, about what violence and war are.”

Finally, talk turned to the recently released Assassin’s Creed, which Raymond admits takes much inspiration from Metal Gear Solid.

Kojima heaped the Ubisoft Montreal development team with similar praise, saying: “I’ve got to choose my words carefully so that I’m not misunderstood, but I think there are fewer developers around today who think about making a good game. As a creator, I find that sad, but when I see teams like the Assassin’s Creed team it gives me confidence. I want Assassin’s Creed to sell well.”

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the next big exclusive for PS3 is Haze, although when it's getting released is beyond me. Most places still seem pretty set on Janaury 18th, but Ubisoft have been playing silly buggers with their release date so there's still time for a huge u-turn.

I think that'll be my next game too, albeit I might need to complete Zack & Wiki before buying it. I still think it could flop so I'll wait for the reviews, and I've not got time to catch up on 2007's best yet seeing as exams are here to steal my time. Hopefully I'll be getting Haze for free with an offer on my broadband anyway :P.

Anywho, anyone a fan of SOCOM? That is the game which is going to define PS3 online, and is the single reason why I chose it above the Xbox 360. I really hope they don't screw this one up, but so far the signs are positive, just don't want to see it get delayed too much :(.

Guys, so I bought the audio cable http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Female-3-5mm-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=pd_ts_ce_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics and the hdmi to dvi cable http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS3-HDMI-DVI-cable/dp/B000NWQULS/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

Although the HDMI cable hasent arrived yet, I'm thinking that I still need more cables...

The audio cable doesnt fit into the Audio port on the PS3, so Iam confused...

Can anyone tell me what plugs into what? As now I've no idea...

Guys, so I bought the audio cable http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Female-3-5mm-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=pd_ts_ce_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics and the hdmi to dvi cable http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS3-HDMI-DVI-cable/dp/B000NWQULS/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b

Although the HDMI cable hasent arrived yet, I'm thinking that I still need more cables...

The audio cable doesnt fit into the Audio port on the PS3, so Iam confused...

Can anyone tell me what plugs into what? As now I've no idea...

Hdmi (ps3) - Dvi (tv)

audio (ps3) - audio (tv (pc-in) with jack)

German GamePro's DMC4 Review

Score: 85/100

Graphics:

+Characters

+Beautiful animations and effects

- flickering shadows and edges

- sometimes too bright

Sound:

+ A good mixture of Rock and Classical music

+ directional/ambient effect

+ Good (English) synchro

- often repeating tracks

Controls:

+ Good controls

+ Camera

+ Lock On system

- A bit chaotic

Game design:

+ Non-stop action

+ Upgrade system

- Backtracking!

- No innovation

- Can become tedious

Story/ Game world:

+ Beautiful Setting

+ Cool cutscenes

- Story somewhat chaotic

- Bland main villain

Overall:

+ Main Game

+ Two Characters

+ Many side missions

+ Additional Goodies

Taken from the PS3 manual of DMC4:

Install

When the game starts for the first time, Devil May Cry 4 game data will be installed on the PLAYSTATION®3 Hard Disk Drive (HDD). You must install the Devil May Cry 4 game data to play the game. Only one copy of the Devil May Cry 4 game data can be installed to the Hard Disk Drive (HDD). 4.8GB of free space is required to install the game data.

Into the options menu, you can enable the motion sensor:

Motion Sensor

With the Motion Sensor ON, turn the controller left and right to move the camera.

To quickly set the camera behind your character, shake the controller vigorously.

There are also intersting PSN features and "accomplishments":

At the Network menu, view player rankings divided according to difficulty, as well as various accomplishments. By using the PLAYSTATION®Network service, you can view the world rankings and play information of players around the world.

Definitely great to hear companies can do stuff like that, obviously we still need to know it's gonna work but it sounds great. Shame about the loading at the start though, albeit I'm sure I could wait 10 minutes :P.

Hope this happens more often though, it seems weird it's taken over a year for a game to do something like this. I'm guessing all the X360 ports are holding it back, or maybe the tech just wasn't there? *shrug*.

Guest Jordan

Yeah, but i have a feeling some do leave temp data on the HDD.

If you play Uncharted, first time you play it or play it after playing another BD game it takes alot longer to load.

Heavenly Sword is a good game, just don't expect the next God of War from it though.

The install thing isn't a problem, and if you are really scared of running out of space, you can cheaply buy a massive hard drive to install in your system. Unlike other companies you don't need any fancy bollocks that's overpriced to add on to your PS3.

4.8 is nothing, RR7 was like 6gb and that took about 90 secs to install, you also got a lovely namco game to play while it installed. That install was optional too, some are some aren't. :D

Having to install games really shouldn't be seen as a problem. I uninstall games I'm not playing on the PC just to make it run faster.

And if you can keep the save files when you uninstall then I the only fault I can think of is it wastes 5 minutes of your life installing it. :)

Having to install games really shouldn't be seen as a problem. I uninstall games I'm not playing on the PC just to make it run faster.

And if you can keep the save files when you uninstall then I the only fault I can think of is it wastes 5 minutes of your life installing it. :)

Shouldn't really have to put up with it on a console though should we? It's not too big of an issue though anyway.

How come the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 is more expensive on EVERY internet site than the 360 one - sometimes £10+??!! Why should we have to pay more? The biggest joke is on Gameplay's website. The Ltd Ed is £32.99 on Xbox 360 but if you want it on PlayStation 3 you have to pay £44.99!!!.

I'm new to this PS3 lark but that is an absolute bloody outrage I tell you - an outrage!:heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!