NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

The PS3 certainly publishes its MAC, I use it for the DMZ on my router.

And the browser is certainly a heap of garbage.

The browser, so bad. They better improve the Vita one over time. And by improve, I mean replace with Chrome.

Oh thought it was just me, tried using the browser in front of ppl, came away ashamed.

Just nabbed Final Fantasy 8 and 9.

Never played either so I'm quite excited.

I'll get round to playing them after I finish uni.

And complete all 199 Steam games I have.

And after I finish that pile of books...

And...

Fuck, why did I buy them?

The browser, so bad. They better improve the Vita one over time. And by improve, I mean replace with Chrome.

Oh thought it was just me, tried using the browser in front of ppl, came away ashamed.

Hello chaps, need some help for work and I don't have a PS3 to tinker with myself. Our clients pay for internet access through a PayPal portal page, similar to the automatic page you get if you try to log onto BT Openzone. That payment is linked specifically to that device by MAC address.

Now the PS3 browser does not seem to play with the PayPal webpage, kicking back an error message about not filling in all of the necessary information. This is complete rubbish as it only happens on PS3s and the information is being filled in properly.

Can anyone think of particular security precautions that might be in place on the PS3? Does it not publish it's own MAC address? Is the browser a heap of garbage?

Yah as much people bemoaned Microsoft for not having a browser on the 360 the PS3 may as well not have one either its really that bad....

Speaking of browsers...

...when are Sony going to make the PlayStation store usable from a browser?

Yah as much people bemoaned Microsoft for not having a browser on the 360 the PS3 may as well not have one either its really that bad....

True, the browser might be crap but it at least has a hard wired MAC address for both ethernet and wireless. The 360 has the inbuilt ability to spoof a MAC address, in fact it was suggested by xbox support for our customers to do that. Nice. They couldn't just have the wireless dongle actually producing a MAC address then?

The PS3's browser is based on NetFront, if that's any help. No idea if the people behind that have UK offices, or if they'd be able to help you in the first place; they might not be privy to adjustments Sony have made.

Funnily enough, they've just released an update browser in the new firmware. Paypal might work now, apparently Youtube works.

- The Internet Browser has been improved. This will result in better display of content and page layouts are displayed with greater accuracy. Some websites that could not be displayed correctly prior to the release of PS3 system software 4.10, including interactive websites, are now supported.

- You can automatically set the time more accurately via the Internet every time your PS3 system connects to PlayStation Network (PSN). This can be done via [settings] > [Date and Time Settings] > [set Automatically] on the XMB (XrossMediaBar).

- PSN Account will be renamed Sony Entertainment Network Account. This will not result in any changes to how you log in or the details you use to do so.

Signed up to PSN/SEN last night. My username is ashleytwo (surprise surprise! same one I use for everything) if anyone wants to add me.

Funnily enough, they've just released an update browser in the new firmware. Paypal might work now, apparently Youtube works.

yah just read this pretty cool. I wonder how much better...theres certain things I hope now work like watching football and stuff...

All this updating nonsense is starting to annoy me already! Plug the PS3 in...update for 20 minutes. Put LBP in...update for 30 minutes. Play it this morning...update for 10 minutes (bad timing, I know). Put Heavy Rain in...update for over two hours!!

All this updating nonsense is starting to annoy me already! Plug the PS3 in...update for 20 minutes. Put LBP in...update for 30 minutes. Play it this morning...update for 10 minutes (bad timing, I know). Put Heavy Rain in...update for over two hours!!

For me the PS3 has always updated so much slower than the 360 but yeah by getting older games which have been patched a lot does bring a lot of waiting...

The 360 (until very recently) also had a update size of 4MB. A lot of PS3 games have much bigger file sizes for patches.

For the real worst case scenario you should have whacked in GT5, too.

Typically game updates are much more manageable, but retail copies of LBP haven't been updated for years — the nature of the game necessitating new assets to be downloaded somewhat regularly — and Heavy Rain had a huge patch to add in Move support. When updates are large it's usually for a good reason, and often because you're getting something for free, but I can certainly appreciate how they can be annoying.

So long as you don't mind playing offline you can always press Cricle to cancel the update, whereupon the game will boot un-patched but you'll be disconnected from PSN for obvious reasons.

I think its because the PS3 doesnt have a size limit on patches where as the 360 does.

Unfortunately having to get big game patches all at the same time is just a consequence of getting games so long after they come out and something we all have to live with these days.

So long as you don't mind playing offline you can always press Cricle to cancel the update, whereupon the game will boot un-patched but you'll be disconnected from PSN for obvious reasons.

I'm fairly sure sometimes I've pressed circle to an update and I've stayed signed in to PSN (could see all my friends online anyway). I know that's not the case for the 360, but I think it just stops you playing online rather than actually disconnecting you?

Getting an early copy of burnout paradise would be another one for loads of updates!

But you get loads of cool shit for free! :D

You should get DC Universe Online, then you get the pleasure of downloading 17 gigs before you can play it :p

Is any one watching the current season of The Tester? Despite a lot of cringe worthy material and how scripted the shots seem to be, it's pretty funny and some of the contestants are just so ridiculous that it keeps me watching. It's also incredibly funny how they've glamoured up the job of a game tester as I've got friends in Studio Liverpool who would love to say otherwise haha

They've taken Egoraptor too seriously though. Any one who's known of him for a while will know that he is incredibly sarcastic and quite humble and would be genuinely good for the job being offered.

Yeah maybe... can you DL the update to a USB key? They won't be able to get the update unless they can connect to the internet!

Is any one watching the current season of The Tester? Despite a lot of cringe worthy material and how scripted the shots seem to be, it's pretty funny and some of the contestants are just so ridiculous that it keeps me watching. It's also incredibly funny how they've glamoured up the job of a game tester as I've got friends in Studio Liverpool who would love to say otherwise haha

They've taken Egoraptor too seriously though. Any one who's known of him for a while will know that he is incredibly sarcastic and quite humble and would be genuinely good for the job being offered.

Yes I am love The Tester!

Yeah maybe... can you DL the update to a USB key? They won't be able to get the update unless they can connect to the internet!

Yeah you can download it from here. It's needs to go in a folder called /PS3/UPDATE otherwise the PS3 won't recognise it.