NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

What's your friend doing with his old unit, flameboy? I ask as he could give

a go in order to back up his old HDD via the utility, restoring the data to his new system afterwards.

What's your friend doing with his old unit, flameboy? I ask as he could give
a go in order to back up his old HDD via the utility, restoring the data to his new system afterwards.

oh ok I'll mention that to him when I see him. He is just gonna chuck it I think....

Either way throwing the machine away is a waste. You can sell it for spares, there might even be a local repair store who'll take it off your hands depending on where you live.

Any Hdd works in any PS3.

The data itself is locked to one console though so you cannot just take an in use HDD and put it in another PS3 to use the same data. It will simply format the hdd.

Backups can be used anywhere though.

True, however some games lock save files. Which basically means you can't transfer them over unless you use an ethernet cable to connect the two consoles. I can't remember the exact details, you can find this info on the PS3 backup options, somewhere in system settings.

I have bad luck with my PS3's and even when I do remember to make a backup, I can't restore all save files, because some of them are locked.

Just transfer saves with Plus.

Oh yeah forgot about Plus. Too bad for the people that don't have it. Like Me :(

Edited by The Lillster

Or you could just get the 3 months for the sake of switching machines.

I think Plus is ridiculously worth it, though. We've already got two free games off it this year, Stacking and the Red Faction one. Plus a few months before we got LBP Prehistoric Moves.

You say that but there were a couple of months where it was absolute dog shit and thats why I let my membership lapse.

It's pretty absurd to expect every month to have exactly what you want.

Those three games along with the usual lot, all the beta access and the DLC for what equates to less than £3.50 a month. I actually don't really get why you wouldn't.

I get even less why anyone would then throw away money on XBL.

It's pretty absurd to expect every month to have exactly what you want.

Those three games along with the usual lot, all the beta access and the DLC for what equates to less than £3.50 a month. I actually don't really get why you wouldn't.

I get even less why anyone would then throw away money on XBL.

Well I wouldn't.

I don't get how it is absurd to expect a certain quality to be honest as thats what they advertised it as and there have been some months where they are giving away titles that wouldn't sell/havn't sold anyway. I do still think the notion of paying for free stuff it weird as well to be honest especially when its stuff you wouldn't want otherwise. I have a ton of PS Plus stuff that I never played.

Also kinda a swizz that they tell you your content will lapse once your subscription does, because for me it only has with the minis and ps1 games all the free psn titles still work...keeps people paying for fear of losing access to stuff I guess.

The main reason I barely use PSN is their store is absolutely shite. You can't find anything, there doesn't seem to be any dedicated area for downloadable titles equivalent to the VC or XBLA, trials aren't as standard with such games, few demos (and those that they do have disappear, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. Why? Were they running out of disk space?) I still don't even know what Minis are, but they seem to have a large price tag for a name like that. Because of this I would never pay for any kind of 'plus' account, because even if the content improved it would still have piss poor navigation meaning you couldn't find it in the first place.

They just rearranged the store this week into dedicated sections.

Also, all the Plus releases are in one section.

I thought they'd changed things up, but it's still a bitch to use. Workable though, it wouldn't stop me buying Plus, in fact what detracts from the Live and Virtual Console (Nintendo) stores more is that they operate on a points system. You know where you're at with PSN.

What would stop me from buying Plus is that I think it's a waste of money, despite above arguments claiming otherwise.

What would stop me from buying Plus is that I think it's a waste of money, despite above arguments claiming otherwise.

You know the Resistance 3 mutiplayer Beta is going to be a Plus download...

It's fantastic value.

Seriously though, it's only worth it if you know what'll be coming up in the next few months. I might be tempted to pay it retroactively, but that's just it ain't it?

It's definitely not for everyone.

I've easily got my money's worth but it's missing that killer app. The inclusive content is good, the discounts are nice, but the service really needs a banner feature like cross-game chat to lure more people in.

Automatic downloads are great but should be a standard feature of the machine. Cloud storage is a nice addition but not really comprehensive enough to swing things for people: you have to sync saves manually, etc. Sony needs to offer a baseline, constant feature which validates the fee regardless of what's on offer that month, much like Live Gold is primarily about online gaming.

Faster downloads should be that constant feature. I download TV shows from the Video store and i can never get faster than 1mbps.

Then again id rather have faster downloads for non-Plus users too

Have you checked your router's ports and everything? Personally I've never had my downloads go any slower than my admittedly rather rubbish 2Mb connection allows; it's the fastest connection I can get living where I am.

1 MB per second is almost unheard of here in my humble village. I'd only get those speeds if Sony stuck a server in my garden and half the planet died overnight.

Sony's downloads are definitely very slow. It took hours to download the SOCOM 4 beta and hours to update it. I can download a 7GB game on the 360 in less time than one of those downloads (which were about 700MB and 1GB).

I dont think its the router, its on Sony's end. Like Cube says, downloads on the 360 are substantially faster, even in my house.

I can't knock PSN too much though. Free ad-less online multiplayer trumps cross game chat or that extra bit of speed any day and im glad they keep finding new ways to support that. Hopefully it continues with NGP and PS4

When i download off the PSN store i nearly always get about 1mb/s. I must live in a good area? ::shrug:

Don't you have to open ports on your router though? I'm pretty sure i have, maybe that's why i get good speeds.