NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

It's ironic it should be in the same game in which a boss battle involves a guy who shoots bees. :rolleyes:

Yeah, The Pain is rather stupid.

But the rest are amazing, though.

The Pain - Shooting bees? Meh.

The Fear - the name says everything. I remember the battle being a bit nerve-wrecking.

The End - words cannot describe how awesome this fight is.

The Fury - Yes! Flame! Rage!

The Sorrow - I think this battle was really well done. Have to admit that I was slightly scared at some points. When you get hit by his "spikey-thing" (I don't know how to call it...) and the face comes up with a scream...man...SHOCK!

Volgin - This asshole. I hated him. But fighting him close-combat and beating the shit out of him, so satisfying :D

The Shagohod - Great scenes. Riding the motorcycle and shooting this thing. Awesome.

The Boss - Just experience it for yourself. You have to feel it.

My god...it's been years that I played this game. Now that I have so much time at my hands I might even play the four games again.

There's a PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2, in case you don't want to skip it.

Ive only played Metal Gear 1(NES) Metal Gear Sold, and Twin Snakes and i still think MGS4 is a stellar experience much like Heavy Rain.

Download the Metal Gear Database off PSN , it will help piece the series together without subjecting you to playing MGS2

In all honesty, I like Metal Gear Solid 4. But it's one of the most overrated pieces of anything I've ever witnessed. One thing I think we can all agree on is that it's spetacularly mundane in everything except the story. And as for the story, it's only "great" if you take into account the fact that it's an action videogame... as it doesn't even begin to compare to any sort of good non-gaming story.

I mean, people talk about how great the story is and all that... and it is... FOR A GAME. It's a totally different class from other types of fiction.

And since MGS4 is essentially a movie... it's just nothing special. And all the rave reviews it got/gets are merely drivel from either A: the hardcore Kojima fans, who are man-babies who would be willing to swallow every plot twist immaginable, no matter how Deus Ex Machina it is for the sake of their "religion" or B: unsatisfied PS3 owners who up till that point really had nothing going for them.

I think that, were it released now, the game wouldn't get the praise it's goten otherwise, since the drought is long over and the PS3 is currently the clear winner of the HD battle.

Much like Uncharted 1. I mean, how desperate were PS3 owners that they crowned that a masterpiece?

Fortunately, that time is all but gone.

I'm not bashing MGS2 for it's story or for Raiden, I love Raiden too. And the story is absolutely ludicrous, yes... but quite good entertainment overall. I just mean the game itself... is weak. Nothing really stands out. Twin Snakes/Snake Eater are the best gameplay wise, no real point in getting a ps2 just to play MGS2, imo. If he had a PS2, yeah, I'd say go ahead and play it. But without one, there really just is no point to it.

Snake Eater ending > the world.

I agree. I personally loved 2 but I totally get why you can see it's not great. I played through all four for the first time over four weekends and I never really liked MGS because it never really clicked with me (well it did when I finally bothered to get past the first five minutes) so my view on all the titles is slightly weird.

As a stand alone I'd probably say ignore it but if you want to enjoy 4 I think it's just as important as the other two.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that it's spetacularly mundane in everything except the story..

I'll concede that there's not MUCH actual gameplay left when you skip the OTT cutscenes but Kojima did alot of things right as far ways to hide and distract the enemy and the many many lethal and non-lethal weapons to finish the game with.

I really do need to find a way to play Snake Eater though

PlayStation 3s seized by EU customs

Sales of the PlayStation 3 are under threat after South Korean company LG won an injunction to have it banned from entering European countries for 10 days.

European customs officers have been ordered to seize shipments of PS3s, reports The Guardian.

A ruling by the civil court of justice in the Hague means all new PS3s have to be confiscated as they are imported into the UK and the rest of Europe.

The injunction could be extended – if LG wins its case against Sony.

Tens of thousands of PS3s were seized by customs officials in Holland last week. Sony imports around 100,000 consoles a week. Around two to three weeks' worth of PS3s are in stock in Europe, according to the report.

The dispute centres around LG's claim that Sony is infringing its use of Blu-ray technology. If Sony is found to have infringed LG patents, it could be forced to compensate LG for each PS3 it has sold around the world, which could cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

Sony has the right to appeal to the European patents office, but LG could apply to the same patents office to get the 10-day import ban extended.

A spokesman for Sony told The Guardian: "We are currently looking into this matter, and cannot make any comments at this point in time." LG declined to comment.

LG's complaint emerged earlier this month after it demanded PS3s and Bravia tellys be banned from sale in the US.

LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", but the PlayStation 3 (Model No. CECH-2501A) is the only Sony product to be specifically named in the main document of the complaint.

Reports have suggested LG's action is revenge for Sony's December claim it was infringing seven of its patents relating to LG phones.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-28-playstation-3s-seized-by-eu-customs

I think they pushed the technology the most but the Blu-Ray Disk Association is pretty big, and includes LG.

Well then how dumb...sure they won't have a leg to stand on.

That should teach Sony not to mess around. Why the hell did they start this whole thing when nobody was doing them any harm? Greed isn't a valid reason, here.

This was in my RSS feed, but the original article is gone.

hi Guys, hope you have been loving last months brand new titles and other classics. It’s now time for you to get your hands on more PlayStation Plus exclusive content.

Here’s the list of content that is available to Plus members between March 2nd and April 6th.

PSN:

Sonic The Hedgehog – brand new and exclusive to Plus for one month (I believe the article was pulled because this links to the Sonic 4 Ep1 Page - it's the Mega Drive version)

Astro Tripper

PS One:

Guilty Gears

We know from comments on here that some of you are not happy with receiving extra PSN titles instead of PS One Classics, so we will always try our best to include both.

minis:

Pix’n Love Rush

Enigmo

*Both brand new minis and 2 weeks exclusive for Plus

SOCOM: Special Forces Beta – This exclusive Beta trial for all Plus members is coming on the 23rd March so don’t miss the chance to play this great new, Move compatible game before anyone else.

Exclusive Discounts:

Fat Princess PS3 – 50% off

Fat Princess PSP – 50% off

Cool Borders 2 – 50% off

Stardrone PS3 – 50% Day 1 discount

Premier Manager – 50% off

PlayTV Live Chat – 25% off – valid until 6th July 2011

Dynamic themes:

Exclusive Sega Mega Drive Classics Theme

Exclusive InFAMOUS 2 Theme

Premium Avatars:

Eye Pet Avatars

Exclusive MotorStorm Apocalypse Avatars

Plus also has some amazing Prince of Persia content and offers over March and April so we wanted to let you know what they all are well in advance.

Today – Get your hands on the awesome classic ‘Prince of Persia 2008′, now on PSN, as a Full Game Trial.

16th March – We wanted to make sure that you guys have the best deals available so we have managed to get you an impressive and exclusive bundle, saving you £11.99/€15. Get [/b]Prince of Persia Sands of Time/ Warrior Within/The Two[/b] Thrones in a Plus exclusive, three for the price of two bundle at £23.99/€29.99.

And that’s not all! Next month, as an extra PSN title, we have managed to get you Prince of Persia Classic at no extra cost.

Here is some of what you can expect to see from the 6th April – 4th May

PSN:

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 – New to PSN and 2 weeks exclusive to Plus (includes trophy support)

Prince of Persia Classic

PS One:

Creature 3: Raised in Space

minis:

Dual Invaders

Dynogems

*brand new minis and 2 weeks exclusive for Plus

Exclusive Discounts:

*These will be confirmed ASAP

Dynamic themes:

Exclusive Abstract Art Theme

Exclusive Growing Garden Theme

Apologies that April looks a little light at the minute, this will not be the case when the content launches on the 6th.

As always we have been basing the content on your requests and also trying to get you as much new stuff as possible. There is plenty more to come.

I usually end up buying Sonic on every console. There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally bother with, but I'm certain there will be enough stuff that I would buy (like Stacking and Sonic) to make up for the cost.

Infamous 2 has a scenario/mission creator. Beta coming to test it. Users can create almost any type of mission link it etc. Unlimited sandbox playability.

Given that unique missions were Infamous's strong point compared to Assasin's etc. This is kind of really nice.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/01/infamous-2-user-created-missions-give-infinite-possibilities-limited-beta-in-april/

Video included in link. Looks great.

That's impressive. Was not expecting that.

Makes me want co-op.

Given that unique missions were Infamous's strong point compared to Assasin's etc.

Id say inFamous' strong point is how fun it is to control Cole. The missions were garbage though.

I couldn't glean from the video but can these missions be downloaded like LBP's user levels?

I couldn't glean from the video but can these missions be downloaded like LBP's user levels?

They appear on the map as you can see at the end of the video (the green mission markers). I assume when you enter one you download the mission.

Id say inFamous' strong point is how fun it is to control Cole. The missions were garbage though.

The missions's in Infamous were unique well into the game unlike assasin's which only had tiny variations. I mean we had flying saucer and air ballons towards the end in Infamous. That huge tower you have to go up etc.

What's the difference between a 3D-ready and a 3D TV?... Amazon has two different categories.

If you have a PS3 with it's 3D blu-ray player, does it effectively make a 3D-ready TV a 3D TV (seeing as 3D blu-rays and 3D games are the only way to really experience 3D at the moment).

It's just Samsung have a 40inch 1080p '3D Ready' TV for £698 (which may get a bit of consideration from me, though I don't really want to spend that much).

It's just Samsung have a 40inch 1080p '3D Ready' TV for £698 (which may get a bit of consideration from me, though I don't really want to spend that much).

You need to spend an extra £60ish on the glasses.