NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Fair enough.

Have you already tried using the Recovery Menu? I haven't used it in a while but I'm sure Google could dish up a very comprehensive guide.

Failing that, you could simply try taking the HDD out and then reseating it in the machine. I don't know if you move your PS3 around a lot — or if it's taken any knocks lately — but it's one more possibility struck off the list.

Thought this was quite interesting, I guess the team feel so settled/at home on the PS3 now!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1215115p1.html

Naughty Dog 'Terrified' by PlayStation 4

As development for PlayStation 4 gears up, Naughty Dog has expressed its concerns about the transition to Sony's next system. In a new interview, studio co-president Evan Wells explains that moving to new hardware is a "double-edged sword."

"The geek inside you is always excited about a shiny new toy, but then the practicality of it starts to set in: this is going to be a lot of hard work," Wells told Eurogamer. "When you're going to new technology, every day is a slog, progress is slow and it really takes a different kind of attitude and mentality to get through that kind of push and it's not right for everybody."

Wells described the transition period between PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 as "the period that Naughty Dog had its darkest days and we lost people on a weekly basis. People just couldn't get through it."

Co-president Christophe Balestra shared the same view, calling development for new systems "terrifying." "We made some mistakes with our move from PS2 to PS3," he said, "and we won't make those again. I guess we've done it a couple of times!"

Last week, it was confirmed that Naughty Dog has split into two teams. While one team is working on The Last of Us, Wells isn't ready to reveal what the team that developed Uncharted 3 will be working on next.

"Right now they're not working that much. Some of them are working mainly on DLC for multiplayer, and a lot of them are on vacation," he said. "I think the team's going to regroup and we're going to figure out what's going to be the next move for that team. Next-gen, current-gen - that's totally in the air."

It must be the case with many dev teams on 360/PS3, such as those working on series like Mass Effect, Assasins Creed etc... They've had so much success with this generation and have got so good at making the games in the series now, they'd probably rather the next gen didn't come out! Edited by Retro_Link

Me too! I've got the whole of the PS3 to catch up on! :p

Plus it's nice going through this period of developers being confident in producing great games, rather than the awkward couple of years at the start of a each new console!

I could do without the next generation for a couple more years, tbh.

Yah same here especially having just bought a new ps3 this year

Lots of sales on already online so got Resistance 3 for £14.99 and Bulletstorm Limited Edition for £9.98.

Also getting Infamous 2 from my sister for my Chrimbo so lots of gaming ahead.

Lots of sales on already online so got Resistance 3 for £14.99 and Bulletstorm Limited Edition for £9.98.

Also getting Infamous 2 from my sister for my Chrimbo so lots of gaming ahead.

Great stuff. If you need a co-op buddy for Resistance or Bulletstorm, give me a shout.

Great stuff. If you need a co-op buddy for Resistance or Bulletstorm, give me a shout.

Matt, you can be my wingman on both!

wingman-fat-girl-600x430.jpg

Setting up my PS3 for the first time and with an HDMI cable... on the menu screen I'm getting occasional flickering horizontal green lines (they don't run the length of the screen).

I'm using a Sony Bravia LCD TV, maybe 4 years old.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that.

Do you have another HDMI cable you could try? My guess would be the shielding on your current one isn't working correctly, so you're picking up interference from another nearby electronic device.

Worst case scenario you've landed a faulty PS3, but my money's on the cable.

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that.

Do you have another HDMI cable you could try? My guess would be the shielding on your current one isn't working correctly, so you're picking up interference from another nearby electronic device.

Worst case scenario you've landed a faulty PS3, but my money's on the cable.

It's a brand new cable... I suppose it could be faulty... but I don't have another one to try, so might just have to order another if that's what you think it is.

Maybe I'll film it on a digital camera (if it's visible) and put it up here to see.

Yeah I agree with Aimless, sounds like something is faulty. Have you tired a different HDMI port on your TV?

Here's a video of the flickering lines, watch from the right side of the screen (could be better but hopefully you can make them out):

Reckon I need a replacement HDMI cable?

Edited by Retro_Link

I'd say try the cable on someone else's HD setup that you know works before you go buying a new one.

Don't really have anyone near by I could try that with.

If that's what people think it looks like, I'll probably just order another one, it was only £1.50 on Amazon.

Edited by Retro_Link

I know everyone said they are all the same but maybe you should get one that costs more than £1.50 :p

They're all the same in the sense that if it works then it works, you aren't going to notice any difference in quality. As such I'd buy a different brand to last time but you don't necessarily need to spend any more on it. If you have some kind of £1 shop near you they'll probably stock something suitable.

The main reason I suggested checking the HDMI cable is because it's the easiest and cheapest thing to sort. The issue doesn't sound like a PS3 hardware problem to me — my 60GB suffered some graphical corruption before it died, but not like that — but it could potentially be something with the TV. The cable seems a more likely suspect, though, and it is at least easy to eliminate at the cost of little time/money/effort.

Thanks for the advice @Aimless, I think I'll drop by PC World tomorrow and try one of their cheaper cables.

All the reviews of that cable I bought on Amazon were positive, so I think you're right about price, but I'll try something a little pricier just to make sure it's HDMI related.

@ReZourceman is right. You really need to be spending at least £10 per meter on HDMI, perhaps even more with longer distances. My advice would be to get the best HDMI cable you can for your budget.

Do you have other kit that you can try on that HDMI connection?

£10 per metre, is that a joke? You do realise the so called 'premium' gold plated etc. versions are just a con?

Please do not take that advice. If it was meant as a joke then I apologise!

@ReZourceman is right. You really need to be spending at least £10 per meter on HDMI, perhaps even more with longer distances. My advice would be to get the best HDMI cable you can for your budget.

Do you have other kit that you can try on that HDMI connection?

HDMI is digital not analogue. There is no signal degradation. A £2 cable will do exactly the same as a £130 cable.

Edited by Daft
Typo

I've bought 2 HDMI cables from Amazon for less than £2, and they have both worked perfectly fine for about 2 years.

Basically HDMI works on an all or nothing principle so you can buy a cheap cable no problem but a sensible compromise would be to maybe spend about £5 - £10 on one but probably no more than that seeing as it'll do the same thing as any other cable.