NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

So a free month of Plus, overhauled security and the relentless hunting down of the offending hacker. Sounds good to me.

Not bad Sony, not bad at all. I'm just wanting back online I'm missing my Killzone 3 fix.

From IGN

During a press conference tonight in Tokyo, Sony detailed what it will reward PlayStation Network users when the service is turned back on next week after being shut down due to an illegal intrusion.

Sony announced its "Welcome Back" program worldwide, giving all existing PlayStation Network users 30 days of PlayStation Plus for free. Current PSN+ members will receive 30 days of additional service for free. It will also provide "selected PlayStation entertainment content" for free download. Details for each region will be announced at a later date. Music Unlimited subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks.

"Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

Sony also said it is working with the FBI criminal investigation to track down who hacked the network. The company re-confirmed it does not believe credit card information was taken, but says customers should keep an eye on their bank statements. Of the 78 million PSN users, roughly 10 million had active credit cards on their account.

When the Network goes live next week, users must download a new system firmware update and will ask users to create a new password. Sony will also do a phased rollout by region for PSN services. Next week's initial rollout includes:

- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation 3 and PSP systems. This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games

- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers. Sony will have a phased rollout by region for PlayStation Network next week. The services that will be available include:

- Access to account management and password reset

- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo

- PlayStation Home

- Friends List

- Chat Functionality

Image explaining the intrusion;

scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=aasye.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

So free content and a months free plus. So whats free now that we could possible get and what was planned for the next wave of plus goodies? I'm guessing that the free content may be this. Although it would suck if the free content they hand out only works when subscribed. It's a good idea the "welcome back" package although I am some what cynical that they are also using it as a free advert for their subscription service? Bet once the 30 days is over we all get emails saying wasn't Playstation Plus great become a proper member NOW!

Interestingly read that Playstation Store may not be online until the end of May. So perhaps those problems of people being able to access content for free by using custom firmware to create a debug unit were right.

I'm interested to see what extra security is added. To be honest whilst they are reconfirming that they don't think the card data has been taken, I'd now like the option adding where I can buy stuff without having my card details stored just in case.

Glad will be able to get back on the Killzone 3 in the next week or so...

Some people less than impressed;

Not good enough because whatever the free content is during that free 30 days will be kept to things no one cares about and there won't be any good sales, rendering it useless. PSN+ does nothing if they don't actually then give out things people want.

So basically this is going to be completely worthless garbage to a whole bunch of people. Not to mention how this works? Are they going to ask for credit card information when they roll out the "free" PSN+, which would then auto renew after the 30 days like retards or will it just disappear after 30 days? They have a lot more questions to answer.

The bit in bold is actually kinda a good point lol.

I don't really care what they give us for free. I'm alright with paying for everything as long as it means my information is secure. They could give everyone $1000 worth of shit and it wouldn't change the fact that someone could steal my identity.

One user puts in perspective:

Lol I love it when you cant make people happy. Free PSN users are getting quite a deal for putting up with 2 weeks of no service, yet some morons expect a year's worth of daily blowjobs to make them happy.
Edited by flameboy

Ace. Well I reckon Sony sorted that one out pretty well.

They got a fuck load of bad PR but that isn't my problem.

Since the Store won't be up immediately, am I right in thinking I can't redeem the online code for Mortal Kombat to play online? Unless it's done through the game itself, Warner should 'switch it off' temporarily if that's not the case..

Since the Store won't be up immediately, am I right in thinking I can't redeem the online code for Mortal Kombat to play online? Unless it's done through the game itself, Warner should 'switch it off' temporarily if that's not the case..

I think it will work they didn't mention mortal kombat specifically but did say games that require online activation would work.

Well done Sony. They've had so much stick over the past week about not releasing all the information about the attack and personal data as soon as it happened, even though they didn't know themselves till almost a week after. The point is, they've handled themselves very well and anyone who decides to avoid Sony now is clearly a dimwitted individual with the IQ of a nut. I fail to see how they could have anticipated this happening and hindsight would always say they could have had a more secure network but it's been up for 4 years without any problems so I doubt they have expected anything like this to happen.

I think it will work they didn't mention mortal kombat specifically but did say games that require online activation would work.

That's a relief.: peace:

That's a relief.: peace:

I think its because these games and their codes feed into your account management rather than the store directly.

Bit annoying about the Store — I have credit sat in my account waiting to purchase Red Johnson's Chronicles and Outland — but a bit longer wait isn't going to kill me.

At least this should mean a bumper month for Plus: given that it'll be a lot of people's first experience with the service, now would be a good time to pull out all the stops.

If only they'd announce the Resistance 3 beta as this month's Plus surprise.

Mmmmm.

Bit annoying about the Store — I have credit sat in my account waiting to purchase Red Johnson's Chronicles and Outland — but a bit longer wait isn't going to kill me.

At least this should mean a bumper month for Plus: given that it'll be a lot of people's first experience with the service, now would be a good time to pull out all the stops.

I wonder if it will be...will they had out whatever was scheduled for Plus in May as well as the free content as part of the "Welcome Back" package.

Even though Sony have had a lot of bad press regarding this, this could end up working quite well for them. In the free Plus sence, as if they offer loads of cool things they could get extra plus subscribers out of it all!

I write in white because I'm a lover not a fighter. Unless I want to fight. But I don't. Not now.

No, because you're a pussy who is slightly too scared to say what you truly think. You don't have to qualify everything you say you know. You can just say it. Though I'm really not surprised that you're with Choze on this, or that you don't think it's that bad when it's your beloved sony. If Microsoft did this on the other hand....

COuld end up being a really good thing for Sony, giving everyone free plus membership; it's the least they could do, but they could also get some extra plus memberships in the long run too. Especially if they make you have to cancel the subscription!

I don't think it would be a wise move for them to basically say "We have all this free stuff. You just need to give us your card details. You know it's safe with us."

I don't think it would be a wise move for them to basically say "We have all this free stuff. You just need to give us your card details. You know it's safe with us."

Haha. True. Wouldn't surprise me though.

No, because you're a pussy who is slightly too scared to say what you truly think. You don't have to qualify everything you say you know. You can just say it. Though I'm really not surprised that you're with Choze on this, or that you don't think it's that bad when it's your beloved sony. If Microsoft did this on the other hand....

COuld end up being a really good thing for Sony, giving everyone free plus membership; it's the least they could do, but they could also get some extra plus memberships in the long run too. Especially if they make you have to cancel the subscription!

Dazzybee, go fuck yourself.

You are an utter tosser. Literally no one else on this board is as big a tool as you. It's pretty black and white with Choze and Zechs but you are an utter cock slap.

I went into the Wii board to talk about Nintendo's next console and you just had a go at me. You were the only one. Everyone else was great. We had a great discussion. Not you, though.

You bore me. Fuck off.

Speaking personally, that's the best moment of N-Europe ever.

Dazzybee, go fuck yourself.

You are an utter tosser. Literally no one else on this board is as big a tool as you. It's pretty black and white with Choze and Zechs but you are an utter cock slap.

I went into the Wii board to talk about Nintendo's next console and you just had a go at me. You were the only one. Everyone else was great. We had a great discussion. Not you, though.

You bore me. Fuck off.

So I've disagreed with you twice and you throw a paddy? Fair enough, not surprising. You do qualify every even lightly controversial opinion with a softening white tag, you are a bit of a sony fanboy. But yeah, fully deserved reaction from you!

He definitely threw a paddy at his keyboard. Yup.

I can see what you mean about the white tag thing, I was going to give him a gentle ribbing myself.

But then again, I agree with his recent sentiments.

Edited by dwarf

lulz. Favourite part was when he had the audacity to call someone a fanboy.

You still have some left for Daz? no, not the popcorn