NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

It does feel different but it's not trying to be like other games. The online is probably the best ever done in an RPG, the boss battles are epic and the difficulty is set to a decent level. I won't say it's extremely difficult as that insults peoples intelligence (it really isn't if you don't treat it as a hack slash). Easily one of my favourite games of recent times.

*In before the avalanche of demon souls defenders.

My point about the controls is kind of a moot point with regards to the type of game it is - it just seems to go with the genre. I tried it and didn't like it - from what I played I have no opinion on weather it's a good or bad game (although the opening story did sound very interesting) so there isn't really much for them to defend.

It's like Monster Hunter 3 Tri and Oblivion. I'm sure all three are great games, but they're not for me. There's just no harm in trying out the genre again in case one does win me over.

Geoff Keiley's Twitter -

'Big Sony PS3 reveal tonight on GTTV! Single and multiplayer footage coming your way. The countdown to E3 begins!'

Not sure what it is, we probably won't find out til tomorrow.

---

Played the Motorstorm Apocalypse demo, was very impressed with the sense of speed they've nailed, the boost system finally works and it seems as excitable as Burnout. The only thing is, the track and precision doesn't feel complex enough, it's become a bit more arcadey in that department. Anyone else bought it/tried the demo?

Not sure what it is, we probably won't find out til tomorrow.

It's almost certainly Starhawk/Warhawk 2. And if it's half as good as I expect everyone here will be required to buy it.

That said I hope they haven't messed with the game too much. All I really want is a slightly prettier game with new maps, more customisation and tighter aiming controls. Not that I'm necessarily adverse to change, just wary that they could try to make it more 'mainstream' by removing all the interesting bits.

Hmmm, could be interesting. I only ever played the Warhawk demo and wasn't impressed, but that's because it was a very primitive offering. I'm sure the full online experience is fantastic.

Issue is, my flight coordination skills are absolutely shocking. And being good in online competition is a must for me. I'm sure practice gets you into the swing of things. I heard the on-foot aspects of Warhawk let it down a bit?

This PSN outage sucks - there are some cheap ass games out there to ease the pain Snap that shit up!

Operation Flashpoint: Red River – £24.99

Crysis 2 – £22.99

Demon’s Souls for PS3 £11.57 “as newâ€

Killzone – £19.99

Dead Rising 2 - £13.85

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit – £18.95

Mafia 2 – £14.85 For Directors Cut Inc. all DLC

Homefront – £24.85

BulletStorm – £19.85

Shift 2: Unleashed – £21.95

Hmmm, could be interesting. I only ever played the Warhawk demo and wasn't impressed, but that's because it was a very primitive offering. I'm sure the full online experience is fantastic.

Issue is, my flight coordination skills are absolutely shocking. And being good in online competition is a must for me. I'm sure practice gets you into the swing of things. I heard the on-foot aspects of Warhawk let it down a bit?

The game's main issue was slightly unwieldy aiming acceleration. Not that is was impossibly unwieldy, but if stick control was up to CoD standards moment-to-moment play would have been a lot better.

I wouldn't say the on-foot aspects let it down as such. That element wasn't up to the standard of a modern third-person shooter — the game did come out in 2007, after all — but the core gameplay was centred on multiple disciplines: infantry, flight, driving, tank use, turrets, etc. It was more about the food chain, with a well-piloted Warhawk being at the top, than on-foot battles; the latter was largely contained to capturing bases, although a soldier with the right equipment could still decimate any of the vehicles if played correctly. There was a time and a place for all styles of play.

It's easily the multiplayer game that's given me the most unique blockbuster moments: there's nothing like barrelling off a cliff in a flaming Jeep straight into a hovering enemy Warhawk, a troop carrier hailing down turret fire in your wake.

Anyway, it definitely is Starhawk as GameSpot momentarily leaked some screenshots by accident:

GdRSH.jpg

3ehdy.jpg

p6Ykd.jpg

jRDrD.jpg

Well that looks surprisingly spectacular.

Hope it doesn't blow.

Awesome, Warhawk is one of my favourite online multiplayer games. Once you master the Warhawk, all the other forms of transport seem dull. I will say that perhaps this game should have better anti-aircraft.

WTF is a Starhawk?

358143-16591-starhawk_large.jpg

Anyway, isn't is a fairly poor idea to announce a brand new onlline multiplayer game at a time like this?

I only played the demo of warhawk and god I hated it! Would take something awesome to convince me to play starhawk!

358143-16591-starhawk_large.jpg

Anyway, isn't is a fairly poor idea to announce a brand new onlline multiplayer game at a time like this?

Why? we all know the PSN is going to be back online fairly soon and it's not like you're going to be able to play this game any time soon.

I only played the demo of warhawk and god I hated it! Would take something awesome to convince me to play starhawk!

Like mechs transforming into Starhawks? Building walls, turrets and the likes?

;)

Like mechs transforming into Starhawks? Building walls, turrets and the likes?

;)

ok so it does look pretty cool from that trailer. I like the building idea but IGN did raise a couple of concerns about it hopefully these can be ironed out.

Like the music on that trailer, kinda bit star wars in places.

I heard Sony are going to start offering paypal as a payment option when PSN is back.

This PSN outage is getting very tiresome - some developers are online now but we're still waiting *sigh*

It's baby steps for PlayStation Network, with developer sources informing me the developer version of PSN is online. Whatever steps Sony took to get PSN up and running, however, has broken some pieces.

Right now, developers are unable to register new accounts on PSN, only perform a recovery process on individual accounts. The problem? In order to facilitate testing, developers often created many, many dummy accounts with fake personal information. In order to recover an account, you need to know the personal information entered when the account was created. No surprise: most didn't write that down.

In order to access PSN, developers have been asked to install an updated firmware.

When reached for comment, Sony would not confirm the status of the developer-side PSN.

"We said in this post last week that we've begun internal restoration," said a spokesperson.

As I reported last night, PSN's three week hiatus has directly affected game development at several studios, as some have been unable to engage in active multiplayer testing for nearly a month now. As developers are able to bypass the login screen, shooters have been largely okay; those games connect to servers running independent of PSN. Games that access the friends list do not have the same option.

The continued issues have frustrated developers I've talked, too, while inspiring relief in others.

"I've never been more grateful to only work on single player games," said one developer.

NeoGaf - helps cheer us all up though.

apocalyps3.jpg

kazhirai-audreycleofac9hkc.jpg

Theres also this news as well;

A source from within the seedy depths of the Internet has implicated Amazon's cloud servers in the PlayStation Network breach that saw millions of consumer data stolen and the downtime of Sony's online services.

According to the allegation, hackers created a legitimate account (with fake details, obviously) to rent a server through Amazon’s EC2 service and stage its attack on the PSN from there. The account has been shut down, which is obviously a great comfort to know at this stage.

Amazon and Sony have declined to comment. The FBI has also refused to say if it is investigating Amazon.

If Amazon's found to be culpable in this situation, it'll be a hefty PR blow to Amazon's remote servers. Companies are already said to have concerns over such things, and this'll make those worries all the greater. At the very least, it looks like Sony isn't the only company that may need to drastically upgrade its security.

http://www.destructoid.com/amazon-cloud-servers-possibly-used-in-psn-hack-attack-201133.phtml

I've had enough of it now. I would never have said this in the whole time I've owned my PS3 previously as always been a primarily single player gamer but do miss playing Killzone 3. If only the Wii wasn't so shit online I'd be ok. (although only online games I own are mario strikers and mario kart not exactly same ground)

I saw an article saying that loads of people are trading in their PS3's because of this. I don't know if it's true but it seems a bit drastic just because they can't go online for a while.

If it had to happen at any time, I'm glad it is now since it doesn't hinder me as I am meant to be studying for my exams.

You really need to be assessing you priorities in life if a few weeks without online gaming is resulting in you actually trading in your console. Especially when almost all of the people doing it will crumble as soon as the PSN comes back online again and go out and buy a new PS3. Fair enough if the PSN was going to be off for a long time, not a few weeks.

I saw an article saying that loads of people are trading in their PS3's because of this. I don't know if it's true but it seems a bit drastic just because they can't go online for a while.

If it had to happen at any time, I'm glad it is now since it doesn't hinder me as I am meant to be studying for my exams.

You really need to be assessing you priorities in life if a few weeks without online gaming is resulting in you actually trading in your console. Especially when almost all of the people doing it will crumble as soon as the PSN comes back online again and go out and buy a new PS3. Fair enough if the PSN was going to be off for a long time, not a few weeks.

A lot of this evidence seems to be anecdotal with no actual numbers to back up these claims, which if true yes they are pretty sad. There does seem to be other stuff somewhat backing it up with reports of a number of key titles dropping drastically in price due to high number of trade ins.

The only reason I would say people could justify trading in is if they really had lost faith in sony and felt their trust couldn't be brought back. I guess its not different to someone leaving a bank or other such company when they have fuck ups...We are perhaps being abit harsh in purely attributing this to the lack of online play.

Most of the trade-ins are supposedly attributed to the fickle FPS/Sports crowd. You know, the type of gamer that only really owns a console for COD and Fifa, which doesn't surprise me in the least to be honest. They just want the same games and for the online to work.

I could understand it if people did it on principle and decided they'd had enough and wouldn't go back. I'd guess the majority of these people will be back on the PSN with-in weeks off it coming back on.