Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Any decent RPGS for the GC?

Guest dynastygal

Guest dynastygal

I currently have ToS (completed), Harvest Moon, Pokemon Colosseum, Animal Crossing rpg-ish wise for GC.

I really want another decent RPG for the GC and that I can get at an affordable price ( a lot of second hand gamecube games are still around £30 ).

Also, I cannot get my GC online, so Phantasy Star would be pointless. And I dislike Zelda games. So any suggestions minus PS and Zelda?

Lol, the question should be are there any RPGs at all for the good old GC. I have Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Baten Kaitos, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon (never really thought of it as an RPG though!), and both Pokemons.

Tales, Skies, Baten and Fire Emblem are the cream of the crop. I've heard Lost Kingdoms 2 is decent enough but I've never played it. Not sure what else there is on offer!

Try Baten Kaitos (though I'm not a fan of it myself, RPG and J-RPG fans usually praise it), Skies of Arcadia Legends (Dreamcast exclusive port with added extras) or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (not quite a "pure" RPG, but some think of it as a strategy-RPG for some reason). And there's always the brilliant Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, despite being fairly rare and, therefore, not that cheap. Well, I guess none of the above are all that cheap, mostly due to the fact that some stores, including online ones, take advantage of the fact that the Wii is GCN compatible and are trying to sell GCN games as if they are Wii ones and, as so, are selling them at almost their launch retail price. Still, you're sure to find places in which you might get them for their lowest value.

These are all the GCN RPGs I can think about, ToS aside...

Guest dynastygal

Ah, Baten Kaitos, completely forgot about that. I remember wanting it when it was released. But then totally forgot it existed. I've always wanted Skies of Arcadia too, but again the price issue pops up. But it's £25 on play.com so maybe if I'm feeling like I want to splash out lol. Fire emblem sounds good too.

As for the prices being cus of wii, they were ridiculously priced before the Wii came out. It seems to be something only nintendo does. Old GBA games can still be around £20+ pre-owned.

Guest dynastygal

Nah, I don't have a wii, and won't be getting one for various reasons. I'm not sure about Paper Mario. I've tried Mario Sunshine before, and boy did I find the controls annoying. I just couldn't get on with the controls for some reason.

You don't have a Wii and you aren't getting one yet you have the cheek to join a Nintendo forum?? :heh: Controls wise Paper Mario is nothing like Mario Sunshine or any other Mario platformer, its just a funny and charming RPG with Mario characters. The battles are more interactive than most RPGs too.

Dynastagal, I wouldn't have recommended Paper Mario 2 if it wasn't an RPG. It is an RPG, not a platformer (like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, or any other Super Mario platformer, for that matter). The Paper Mario series are a series of RPGs in the line of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (I don't know if you're familiar with it, so just go check it on Wikipedia, or something like that), and are not, I repeat, are not platformers.

Guest dynastygal
You don't have a Wii and you aren't getting one yet you have the cheek to join a Nintendo forum?? :heh: Controls wise Paper Mario is nothing like Mario Sunshine or any other Mario platformer, its just a funny and charming RPG with Mario characters. The battles are more interactive than most RPGs too.

Lol, I wuv my GC and DS though ! :heh:

Mind, my DS recieves more attention than my GC does now, since I completed ToS - man that game was good.

Dynastagal, I wouldn't have recommended Paper Mario 2 if it wasn't an RPG. It is an RPG, not a platformer (like Super Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, or any other Super Mario platformer, for that matter). The Paper Mario series are a series of RPGs in the line of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (I don't know if you're familiar with it, so just go check it on Wikipedia, or something like that), and are not, I repeat, are not platformers.

And good about controls. I didn't know Paper Mario was different controls wise to Sunshine. And nope, not heard of the Legend of the Seven Stars. I've heard of a Mario rpg, didn't know the name of it or anything. I'm more at home with the side scroller mario, it seems, although I loved Mario 64 for the DS.

All titles mentioned are great titles.

Choose Skies of Arcadia if you want a traditional epic turn-based RPG. The adventure is extremely long, the random battles can get a bit annoying though.

Baten Kaitos shines through the outrageous fantasy setting and story. The voice acting is horrible though,I advise you turn it off immediately =)

To me, Fire Emblem and Paper Mario are the best of the 4. Fire Emblem is more a strategy game, but it has plenty of story (if you don't mind reading...alot) and it's easy to get attached to your characters. This might be my most replayed game ever =)

Paper Mario is the slickest of RPGs. It's a bit more linear, though that also means you don't need to do ANY real grinding. There's plenty of fights, but it's all in perfect doses. The battle system doesn't seem too complex, but it's very rewarding.

Edit:

I didn't know Paper Mario was different controls wise to Sunshine.

Gameplay-wise (and graphically), it really is NOTHING like mario sunshine.

My thoughts and recommendations:

-Skies of Arcadia is very good. And rare.

The story is solid, many characters are cool, the combat system is enjoyable (although easier as the game progresses), has great music, the adventure is long and, the best part, the side-quests rule (discoveries, bounties, Moonfishes, Piastol, crew members and more).

Definately worth a shot. Pick it up if you find it.

-Baten Kaitos is above average. It's somewhat good, but nothing more.

Story is predictable and sometimes nonsensical, but has an unpredictable twist. The characters are nothing special and their voice acting is very (and I mean very) bad. Better to turn it off.

The music, backgrounds and special effects are amazing, though. The battle system works well and it's original. The card system for side-quests and battle is well-done and can keep you interested. There are several side-quests, too.

Some people think it's very good, others like me think it deserves no more than 7/10. Still recommendable.

-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is a must for Tactical RPG fans.

Great characters, interesting, racism driven world and plot, as well as several character interactions (supports) will keep you hooked.

The gameplay is good and challenging. If you don't want to lose characters, you can't make stupid mistakes. There is also much complexity in planning (equipment, weapon/magic triangle, bonus exp, support bonuses, etc.).

Pick it up unless you don't like strategy or tactical RPGs.

I never played Paper Mario 2, but Mario RPGs are good most of the time. The plot and characters are silly and comedy-driven, the battle system is interactive and is usually packed with fun. There are many non-battle interactive scenarios, as well.

Of course, I'm basing myself out of trailers and other Mario RPGs. If I said anything wrong, someone please correct me.

One last thing, the Mario & Luigi series for GBA and DS is very good. If you ever buy a Mario RPG, those are very good choices.

Guest dynastygal

Well, been looking around and saw Skies of Arcadia for £17.99, and Paper Mario for £22.99 in Gamestation (both pre-owned). Reasonable price or not?

Well, been looking around and saw Skies of Arcadia for £17.99, and Paper Mario for £22.99 in Gamestation (both pre-owned). Reasonable price or not?

I bought my Skies of Arcadia for far more than that (which pissed me off, since I saw it for 20€ a few weeks later).

I'd say it's definately a good price. Just finding Skies of Arcadia is good. Finding it at a good price is even better.

Guest dynastygal

Yeah, the only thing that worries me is the pre-owned bit. I'm a bit weary about them because I don't get why someone would sell on a really good game instead of keeping it.

I've got tons of pre-owned games via Ebay. Never had any problems with them, some people just don't play their games through more than 1 time.

I got Skies from there as well for about 30 euros. I regret that a bit as it wasn't as great as everyone said. The random battles really got to me, they were too slow and frequent and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't mind random battles. The story was great though, maybe I'll try to continue it one time.

I loved Baten Kaitos even though I don't like card games, really great game. Shame the sequel never got released here.

Yeah, the only thing that worries me is the pre-owned bit. I'm a bit weary about them because I don't get why someone would sell on a really good game instead of keeping it.

Well chuck, there are many people out there who are simply idiots. Of the 2 preowned games I bought yesterday, both looked like they had been played by people with limited attention spans. Pokemon FireRed had a 12 minute save; a guy with a L7 squirtle who had named his rival "fatso". Golden Sun had an hour or so save - odd since the cut off point was basically just at the end of Sol Sanctum (where you get some pay off for doing the dungeon).

There seem to be many people who either don't care to replay or just don't get games, so trade them in. I've never bought a preowned game that hasn't worked, and if you look after it it's not going to get any worse.

Well chuck, there are many people out there who are simply idiots. Of the 2 preowned games I bought yesterday, both looked like they had been played by people with limited attention spans. Pokemon FireRed had a 12 minute save; a guy with a L7 squirtle who had named his rival "fatso". Golden Sun had an hour or so save - odd since the cut off point was basically just at the end of Sol Sanctum (where you get some pay off for doing the dungeon)

Reminds me of the guy whom I bought Final Fantasy X from. He played it for 10 minutes then decided he didn't like it, he didn't even get to the first fight. :laughing:

I think that Skies of Arcadia is one of the best games I've played, ever. But it does take a long time to complete, so depends how long an RPG you want.

Also, Paper Mario really is a bona fide JRPG, even if it's a bit on the easy side. The legend of the seven stars is way better than any of the other Mario RPGs if you ask me.

• 9 months later...

Skies of Arcadia is excellent and has as good an atmosphere as everyone says. Paper Mario 2 is very good. I didn't like Baten Kaitos at all, but maybe someone with a huge amount of patience would like the card-battling system.

One I should have tried is Tales of Symphonia! Oh well, maybe I'll get a next-gen "Tales" game someday.

Though for Baten Kaitos there is also the prequel. I prefered the original fighting system though over the changed one in Baten Kaitos Origins BUT I think the story was a bit better then the one of Baten Kaitos.

If you ask me both had a good story though. However, regarding Gameplay and that you need to like it - otherwise I don't think that the game will be that great (it will still be good but not great or something like this). I however really liked it. Though I think I liked ToS the most. I thnk second is Skies of Arcadia though (because of the story and because you have so many "options" in that game). However, though Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins follow afterwards - and there weren't much more RPGs for the GameCube - I still think it is one of the better RPGs (comparing it with all the RPGs I played, also on other consoles).

But well: All that is - of course - extremely subjective.