Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Timesplitters 4 announced!

jammy2211

as far as i remember free radical had 2 teams while one was working on second sight the other was working on timesplitters 3.

but second sight was still great so i wonder what the hell the problem was.

A lot of hazes complants are things that free radical were never good at though..

I mean graphics? no the graphics in timeplitters wasnt great was it and second sight used the same engine.

haze was a serious game:

they never really tried that before... No second sight wasnt completely serious either.

yet the actual mechanics of the game worked at times.

The game is still supposed to be fun despite this..

bad voice acting and story

HAZE has numerous complaints, and the ad is cringe worthy - 'They gave me Nectar' lol

I always really liked the Timesplitters graphics. Very Solid, good style, no seams and runs at 60FPS! AWESOME!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAZE has numerous complaints, and the ad is cringe worthy - 'They gave me Nectar' lol

I always really liked the Timesplitters graphics. Very Solid, good style, no seams and runs at 60FPS! AWESOME!

wonder where they hell they went wrong after being delayed a few times.. I mean if it's this bad why delay it a few months? They can't fix a bad game in a few months.. If you;re going to release shit at leastdo it as quick as possible.

No its running on the Haze engine. Which although may not seem the best engine, they are used to it from Haze and the time they have now will let them sort out of problems they had.

This really does need to be a hit though, although Haze I think is selling well its nowhere FR's standard and I thought TS3 a bit lacking when compared to TS2.

I was thinking. Wouldn't it be a good idea for them to pay to use Retro Studio's Metroid Prime 3 engine? At least to use the FPS controls and graphics portion.

Not that the other Time Splitters were bad. Quite on the contrary. Just an idea.

good luck on getting it though :P

Just like wouldn't it be cool for racing games on PS2 to have had access to GT engine, or for third person games to have acess to God of War engine. ;)

I doubt Nintendo will give that to anyone. FPS's on that engine would be wonderful though.

No its running on the Haze engine. Which although may not seem the best engine, they are used to it from Haze and the time they have now will let them sort out of problems they had.

This really does need to be a hit though, although Haze I think is selling well its nowhere FR's standard and I thought TS3 a bit lacking when compared to TS2.

Oh dear, are you sure? That ain;t a good start, talk about bad foundations...

Nah the real money maker engine wise in the UE3. Epic must be swimming in money off of that.

I don't think TS would suit it though since pretty much everything that runs of UE3 comes out looking ridiculously shiny.

i for one trust free radical with this game.. I have never played a bad game of theirs to be fair.. I actually enjoyed timesplitters 3 despite it not being a vast improvemnet over 2.

Keep the split-screen multiplayer game the same but the single player needs an overhaul.

i for one trust free radical with this game.. I have never played a bad game of theirs to be fair.. I actually enjoyed timesplitters 3 despite it not being a vast improvemnet over 2.

Keep the split-screen multiplayer game the same but the single player needs an overhaul.

I loved TS3, in fact I'd put it on even ground with the second as I enjoyed the single player story campaign a lot more in the third.

• 3 months later...

Check out the art work in the top bar on their site. It includes a new monkey outfit (as a bell boy/porter), some weird mansion (possibly a hotel for the monkey to work in?), a big guy with a massive axe guarding an archway, and some people in what appears to be a tribal village, but with modern clothes... and floating in the sky. How very Timesplitters.

The previously seen Jo-Beth Casey dressed as a nun with a bloody chainsaw is there, too.

I've also been reminded of my love of Free Radical by this extract from the history of their staff: "we should point out that our Creative Lead on HAZE previously worked as the 'Bakery Assistant' in Sainsbury's. That gave him all the skills he needed to be a games designer: an unrelenting love of cakes."

EDIT: They even have a dig at EA: "Free Radical is leading the development industry by recognising the hard work of it's staff with a unique system of paid over-time."

I shouldn't have looked at their site. I now want to play TSFP again.

I've also been reminded of my love of Free Radical by this extract from the history of their staff: "we should point out that our Creative Lead on HAZE previously worked as the 'Bakery Assistant' in Sainsbury's. That gave him all the skills he needed to be a games designer: an unrelenting love of cakes."

At least they acknowledge that it was a stinker - and in an amusing way. I think Free Radical will get TS4 right, it's their key property.

Slightly off topic, I find it really sad how Rare have gone down hill.

The humour from that Baker quote is typical old-skool Rare.

TS2 was brilliant :D yet Haze was just a "me too!" approach to the ever growing amount of HALO rip offs. (The Nectar idea was nice but never really made too much of a difference imo.)

The best thing about TS was the level creators. Utterly amazing. I must have cerated a good 100 levels. I remember NGamer running Goldeneye/Perfect Dark levels too. Good days indeed.

That was some acheivement. Oh, and on that POLL, Wii is doing ok but it needs more votes!

They should just give up on TS. All 3 previous games failed to live up to expectations. Haze was a mess.

Apologies, but you are wrong :)

TS 3 was a slight let down but that doesn't mean it was a bad game. TS2 however was awesome, and hours and hours of fun with mates. Looking forward to this one.

Oh and Second Sight was awesome too, that was Free Radical. That one really was a fantastic game.

I actually liked the TS2 campaign, it has the retro sort of feel with it being mismatch and completely random, loved it, even the Tokyo one that people complained about.

TS FP was also great, just lacked a bit of the brilliance of 2. Campaign was technically better, but I loved the 2nd more.

I voted it to go on the PS3 because I sold the Wii and playstation is my only console, but I think it would be better on the Wii. That said, it will be enjoyable playing it in HD and with the growing online network.

I thought they were making it for all consoles (apart from PC) though. Maybe they just want a popularity contest.

I was never a fan of TS2, so I'm probably with Choze on this...fuck.

Its odd, because when you look at each characteristic seperately, it seems pretty good. But, it just didn't come off well, for me. I really didn't feel "in-tune" with the weapons. With Goldeneye or even Perfect Dark, each weapon stood out and was a classic in its own right. With TS2, I just didn't feel that. They didn't feel meaty enough. In all, it had a perfect body, but no soul.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!