N-Europe

Bungie Leaves Microsoft!

Maiky-NiSuTe

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) is reporting about a rumor saying that Halo developer Bungie has had enough of being "the Halo company".Apparently it plans to head back to where they started off before Microsoft came by with a big fat money suitcase. Yes, I'm talking about my platform of choice; the Macintosh. This rumor seems in line with the interesting growth of game development for the Mac lately, with EA, Blizzard, and Id leading the pack. A comeback of bungie would seem very welcome indeed. Apple CEO Steve Jobs knows about the relatively small number of games being released on the Mac currently, and it seems he moved heaven and earth in an attempt to change that. So is gaming on the Mac about to take off? Nobody knows for sure

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one made a thread about the recent rumors of them leaving Microsoft. I didn't however know about the rumor being to develop for Apple Macs. Bad choice in my opinion.

Also, I don't see how Steve Jobs has moved Heaven and Earth. According to Gabe Newell he promises but there is never any deliverance.

I'm not sure it would be a great idea for bungie really.. not like anyone would think it is.

I mean they're making plenty of money on Microsoft platforms. And they're still making mac compatible (WoW, Starcraft) games. What's wrong with their current position?

Bungie make Starcraft and WoW?

Yeah sounds weird. Maybe MS arent treating them as well as they should. They should have more freedom to work on other games. Imagine the feeling that Halo is the only thing you will ever make. I am sure bungie are more talented than that. Companies need to look after their talent better.

They NEEDED to make Halo 3, i doubt they were being pressured into it, im sure the feeling of millions of people waiting for the game was enough to make them all want to work their hardest on it. And with the sales figures, and amount of hours spent online, it must of been worth it for the whole team involved.

Im not assed what they do, ive got halo 3, let them do whatever they want now.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) is reporting about a rumor saying that Halo developer Bungie has had enough of being "the Halo company".Apparently it plans to head back to where they started off before Microsoft came by with a big fat money suitcase. Yes, I'm talking about my platform of choice; the Macintosh. This rumor seems in line with the interesting growth of game development for the Mac lately, with EA, Blizzard, and Id leading the pack. A comeback of bungie would seem very welcome indeed. Apple CEO Steve Jobs knows about the relatively small number of games being released on the Mac currently, and it seems he moved heaven and earth in an attempt to change that. So is gaming on the Mac about to take off? Nobody knows for sure

If they leave to do games on the Mac, it's proboly the worst move they will ever make.

Guest Jordan

You do know they were originally a Mac developer right? All their games were exclusive on Mac (Marathon and Mythic series)

Yeah but look at it.

Hay! i'm gonna but a new £900 Macbook to play Halo 4! oh wait, they have internal graphics...Well i'll just get a Macbook Pro instead! oh wait, that's pretty poor for hardcore games too...Jezze i'll just have to get a lovley new iMac. Oh cool those ones with the shity weak ATI cards in?

I have nothing against Macs at all as we all know, but there not made for games.

I think they might go 3rd party but i doubt they will go to Macs.

Guest Jordan

Microsoft are fucking morons.

First Bizarre, now Bungie.

Who else do they have left? Mistwalker, Rare, Team Ninja of Tecmo (well they have exclusive rights to all DoA games and thats all they make!).

Microsoft, either you're leaving the console race, or you're going insane.

They're making $16BN a quater, A QUATER. Its not like they don't have the money to keep these developers. I for one am getting extremely worried about the future of the 360 and I'm not the kinda person who worries about this kinda thing.

EDIT: Looked into it.

MGS developers left:

ACES Game Studio

Carbonated Games

Ensemble

Hired Gun

Lionhead

Rare

Turn 10

Wingnut Interactive

Massive Inc.

Didn't expect that.

What does this mean for Halo Wars, then?

Edit: I think the only thing this changes is that Bungie gets more creative freedom. MS is going to remain their publisher, and Bungie continue to use the Halo trademark. Sounds like win-win to me.