Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PC Gaming Discussion

McPhee

Im tempted to get Gone Home off Steam. The Giant Bomb guys seemed to love it and it sounds like its a pretty interesting game/story. After having played To the Moon recently I would love another great Indie story game but I'm just not sure its worth paying £13.49 for.

Quick Look:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-gone-home/2300-7813/

Ok another role of the dice at the let's buy me a laptop. Now I have found this 14inch acer at $399.99 the 15.6inch is $60 more.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-e1-series-14-laptop-black-amd-e1-2500-500gb-hdd-4gb-ram-windows-8-e1-422-3444/10254574.aspx?lang=en-CA&pcname=&sku=10254574&path=15e981e5a41424b64454bb520da9a30den02

In terms of graphics it says:

Graphics

Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 8240

Video Memory Configuration Integrated

Dedicated Video Memory Size Not Applicable

Wireless Display (WiDi) Capable No

Now in store the acer sticker on the laptop says AMD Radeon HD 8240 with 512mb Memory...which I assume is dedicated?

The faster the response the better I may go buy it today! I can't find any benchmarks for this graphics card, some sites even saying it's not out yet.

@flameboy According to NotebookCheck (Your friend and mine) that does not use dedicated graphics memory.

Depending on the benchmark, the performance of the Radeon HD 8240 is somewhere between the Intel HD Graphics (Ivy Bridge) and HD Graphics 4000. This is similar to a dedicated Radeon HD 6450M, but usually to slow for modern games. However, some older and less demanding games should run fluently.

That seems like a pretty modest laptop all-told, would be fine for basic stuff. What roughly is the most taxing thing you're going to want to do with it?

Edited by gaggle64

@flameboy According to NotebookCheck (Your friend and mine) that does not use dedicated graphics memory.

That seems like a pretty modest laptop all-told, would be fine for basic stuff. What roughly is the most taxing thing you're going to want to do with it?

Light gaming fun...football manager, FTL, fallout 3, rogue legacy, stuffs

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Sir, you are being hunted! out now!

There do seem to be some issues (both at Steam and the Humble Store), checking the official forums for some more information.

Anyway, will buy it, probably later tonight and definitely from the Humble Store as the price is in $ and will be converted to € via PayPal. It's always cheaper than the Steam price. :)

Currently it means I won't get a Steam key, but that's not a problem (especially as it seems you might get a key later when the Humble Store sorts its shit out).

Edit: Bought it, played it for 20 minutes, and by god...I have had some adrenaline rushes already :D

Shady.jpg

A town, hopefully with some nice loot.

Loot.jpg

An example of shitty loot -.-

Druuuuuuugs.jpg

Don't do drugs, kids!

Surveillance.jpg

First almost-contact.

Nowhere_to_go.jpg

Their voices...scaaary.

Big_guy.jpg

Yeah, came across this beast. Decided not to engage...

Aaaaaand I bought Gone Home (also from the Humble Store, because cheaper!).

"Played" through the game in one go (79 minutes according to Steam). I was captivated.

The narrative is superb and the story (while nothing really special) is executed almost perfectly.

While I couldn't completely relate to Sam's story/development (for obvious reasons), the emotional aspect of her life/teenage years is what makes this game.

I instantly remembered how strong (and sometimes stupid :D ) my feelings/attitudes/behaviour were/was in my teenage years.

14€ well spent. One of my favourite gaming experiences this year, maybe ever.

Edited by drahkon

Those are looking good drahkon, especially the last one. I’d like to get them, but with one of my videocards seemingly blown up, I’m not sure if that’s a good idea :). I also have 2 indie games I’m interested in, but I’ll post them in the indie game thread later.

I also have 2 indie games I’m interested in, but I’ll post them in the indie game thread later.

Dooo eeeet! :p

Sir, you are being Hunted! is sooo good. That moment when you try to get some useful items and hear a 'bleep'. Shit's about to get real.

I've spent more time holding my breath than breathing while playing this game.

Yeah but the acer sticker on the top of the laptop said had dedicated memory so who do I believe?!

Will it be any good for the gaming habits I described?

Yeah but the acer sticker on the top of the laptop said had dedicated memory so who do I believe?!

Will it be any good for the gaming habits I described?

Should do, Fallout 3 is the only question mark but I'm sure it'll be fine on lower settings. For a $400 budget it seems solid. Integrated graphics are in a weird place right now as they're starting to reach out to where you would normally get a dedicated low-end card.

If you're prepared to stretch to an extra $50 this model should leave you somewhat more secure with a low end 4-core processor and extra ram, though it's still quite modest. ($50 off, but only for the next couple of days.)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-c40d-14-laptop-amd-a6-5200-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-windows-8-white-c40d-a-008/10257007.aspx?path=e8f360a1a972256fcde4d3e41f017dc8en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Edited by gaggle64

Should do, Fallout 3 is the only question mark but I'm sure it'll be fine on lower settings. For a $400 budget it seems solid. Integrated graphics are in a weird place right now as they're starting to reach out to where you would normally get a dedicated low-end card.

If you're prepared to stretch to an extra $50 this model should leave you somewhat more secure with a low end 4-core processor and extra ram, though it's still quite modest. ($50 off, but only for the next couple of days.)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-c40d-14-laptop-amd-a6-5200-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-windows-8-white-c40d-a-008/10257007.aspx?path=e8f360a1a972256fcde4d3e41f017dc8en02&SearchPageIndex=1

ooooh thanks mate nice find.

Heads up: there's a special Total War sale on Steam until the 26th, seems all the current Total War titles are 50% off and the Total War master collection is 75% off (less than £20 for Rome, Empire, Medieval 2 and some other goodies.) I don't think I can resist.

Heads up: there's a special Total War sale on Steam until the 26th, seems all the current Total War titles are 50% off and the Total War master collection is 75% off (less than £20 for Rome, Empire, Medieval 2 and some other goodies.) I don't think I can resist.

Well crap oh crap. They had the same discount during the Summer Sale, but I didn't have the time to buy it then. Guess it's round 2 right now, then...

They were even cheaper during the summer sale, but getting Rome and Medieval II for less than 4 euros is very very good. Spent lots of time on those two. If you get Medieval II I highly recommend the expansion pack. The Britannia campaign, among other, is very fun.

Bought To the Moon on todays sale. I shall see if I can find time for it tomorrow. Played a few minutes today though, chuckled a few times from the dialouge and the game seems interesting.

Edited by Tales
Automerged Doublepost