Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PC Gaming Discussion

McPhee

Can you actually be competitive with a gamepad on a PC fps?

It wouldn't be much different to how competitive I am at FPS games, anyway.

I mean like, how the hell do you get hand cramps from WASD? It's three fingers lying in perfectly natural positions::shrug:

I have odd fingers that have bizarre natural positions. My inner two fingers naturally sit on top of the other two fingers.

Can you actually be competitive with a gamepad on a PC fps?

To an extent yes. A pad will never match the speed and accuracy of a mouse, but with some skill you can still put up a good fight. And in something like TF2, it will depend on the class alot too. Sniper, I'd say no, Spy yes Solider to an extent pyro yes, and so on and so forth.

Cube, maybe you could try an ergonomic keyboard or perhaps customize the controls to a comfortable position. The first thing I ever do with controls is make Left Shift Crouch since it's too damn hard to hit Left Control in the heat of battle.

I'm gonna ask for some tech help on Paperman. Anyone remember Paperman? It was announced at TGS06 and playable at TGS07 (played it there myself).

Anyways, today I got around to register an account and download it, but after running the exe and letting the game update, I press start, but then nothing happens.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I could fix this? I've tried setting every language setting on my Windows XP to Japanese, but that didn't solve anything.

Sorry if this should have been posted somewhere else =)

Guess what guys, now you have even less reason to not own Fallout 1 and 2.

Beginning today, Interplay titles including the original Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Sacrificeand Kingpin will become available for purchase via Steam.

"We are excited to offer the millions of Steam customers online access to Interplay titles beginning with some jewels of our classic PC catalog priced below $10," said Herve Caen, Interplay CEO.

Well put, Herve. Welcome aboard! Oh, you can also get the three Fallout games as a package deal here as Fallout Collection.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2741/

I respectfully only demand you all to buy Fallout 1&2 and Sacrifice. I don't know anything about Kingpin, and Fallout Tactics is fun but nothing that needs to be played.

Guess what guys, now you have even less reason to not own Fallout 1 and 2.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2741/

I respectfully only demand you all to buy Fallout 1&2 and Sacrifice. I don't know anything about Kingpin, and Fallout Tactics is fun but nothing that needs to be played.

Kingpin was awesomely violent for it's time. May be a bit too dated to be a must play now.

I used a 360 controller along with the mouse for a while last year when i sliced my finger open at work. Was pretty good, tho it took a bit of getting used to and the 360 controller is a bit big to hold in one hand. I'd imaging a Wii Nunchuck would work quite nicely, though you might be a bit lacking in buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually looking at the x360 controller for my new PC (counting down 2 weeks, finally :P), for the few 3rd person games I have (which'll soon include Batman probably..). Anyway, I can sometimes be pretty obsessive over little details, and I have decided I require a black controller. Problem is they don't sell a Windows version of it. I'll need a wireless receiver, but they don't appear to be sold seperately (anymore).

Does X-box customers service sell these as spare parts perhaps? I'll call them when I'm actually ready to purchase it (if possible), but if anyone can inform me beforehand? Their e-mail support (well, at least the Dutch division) wasn't very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

1080p Not large enough?

Try Eyefinity!

Play the latest games at a whopping 7680x3600!

Seriously though, if you've got money to burn, six 30" Dell Monitors at 2560x1600 each and a single ATI GPU(as of yet unreleased, but will be shortly) and you can play Dead Space like that.

Now I'll quit babbling like a moron and leave that to the professionals, with pictures too.

Say you're AMD, and you make graphics chips that nearly double in performance with every generation. Yet games haven't been getting all that much more demanding over time. What would you do with all of that excess power, especially if you wanted to stir up interest in your latest product?

AMD's answer at the moment is a new feature it calls Eyefinity. Here's the basic concept: through the magic of its next-generation GPU and an array of compact DisplayPort connections, a single GPU can drive up to six high-megapixel displays for gaming at resolutions that boggle the mind. The example I saw in action today looked like this:

six-displays.jpg

Dead Space at over 24 million pixels

That's six Dell 30" monitors, each at a resolution of 2560x1600, showing Dead Space at over 24 megapixels. The game ran fluidly, and as you can see, your character on screen is pretty much life-sized, if not a little larger.

7680x3200.jpg

7680x3200 resolution, anyone?

I didn't snap a picture of it, but I checked the back of the PC accomplishing this feat, and all six of the DisplayPort connections were plugged into a single expansion slot. Not only did games like Left 4 Dead and World of Warcraft play smoothly, but DiRT 2, a DirectX 11 game, ran at more or less acceptable frame rates and looked stunning doing it, as well.

Suporting six monitors with a single graphics card will require a specialized board, since most don't ship with six DisplayPort connectors across the back. But most cards based on the forthcoming Radeons will be able to drive three ultra-high-res displays of various types. Here's AMD's Dave Baumann showing off DiRT 2 on a triple-monitor setup.

dirt-three.jpg

If you're an old-timer like me, you're probably having flashbacks to the days of the Matrox Parhelia and TripleHead, a similar feature that didn't fit well with the Parhelia's inability to run games at sufficient speeds on even a single display.

By contrast, AMD says quite a few of today's games run just fine at such mega-resolutions. Part of the trick to making this work is that Windows sees the array of monitors as a single display device, which helps with game compatibility. AMD's drivers then handle the task of setting up the displays and coordinating their relative positions. I got a quick look at an early version of the control panel wizard designed for this task, and it's already reasonably straightforward to use.

AMD seems to think Eyefinity could be a pretty compelling feature for some folks, and no doubt playing DiRT 2 on a 24+ megapixel display is an interesting experience, at least. Part of AMD's pitch for Eyefinity is based on the realities of monitor pricing: three relatively nice displays could be had for the price of a single 34" high-density monster. So why not build a gaming setup with three displays instead?

Although the demo we saw today was based on conventional Dell 30" monitors, AMD has been working with Samsung on Eyefinity support and has plans involving monitors with very narrow bezels, so that many displays can act together as one with a minimum of visual interruption. The company may also incorporate a feature in its graphics drivers to compensate for the visual offsets caused by bezels. Still, if this takes off, three-display setups will almost certainly be the most popular variation, because four- and six-display configs will have the display edges interruputing the dead-center focal point—where the crosshair goes in first-person shooters, among other things.

One can't help but think of Eyefinity as a rival of sorts to Nvidia's GeForce 3D Vision scheme, which involves per-game compatibility profiles, steep GPU requirements, specialized 3D glasses, and 120Hz displays—or Jaws 3D-style red-and-blue glasses in its ghetto guise. The question is whether Eyefinity will gain any more traction than Nvidia's 3D tech has with consumers. I have my doubts. The peripheral vision afforded by a wrap-around three-way display might be nice for locating zombies in Left 4 Dead, but one wonders whether so having so very many pixels—and the GPU requirements that come along with them—really makes sense when another option is planting a giant-screen HDTV in front of your gaming rig and calling it good.

Then again, ultra-megapixel monitor arrays aren't just good for gaming. Google Earth looks mighty impressive at 7680x3200, as well, and workstation users don't have the budgetary constraints of your typical gamer, either.

Sauce

I'm not done yet.

While Dirt 2 and Cry-Engine 3 may not be 7680x3200 they are still 7680x1600 which is damn impressive for a single GPU. The theory goes that this GPU is of the R870 line of "Evergreen" Cards that is about to be released within the next few months.

Edited by Nolan

One person's experiment done for fun.

It demonstrates how original Monkey Island 2 backgrounds look and feel in a modern 3d game engine. The sets were built using Maya and then exported into Cryengine's Sandbox editor.

This is a followup to my other Monkey Island 2 videos that showed how to "convert" 2d concept art into 3d scenes using camera projection techiques.

Joygasm!

ATI Radeon 5870 has hit Newegg!

Out of stock already, but at $379 it's a steal(that sounds weird). To put slightly in perspective, the closest Nvidia product in Performance is the GTX 295 which the cheapest one runs $469.

I'd do UK prices since they'd be more relevant, but the 5870 isn't up yet. But as a starting reference, the cheapest 295 on Scan after VAT is 336 and according to google that's roughly $550.

First Review

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=119245

Toms Hardware's Italian page, which has now past the NDA date, has listed their review of the 5870. Since it is Toms Hardware, I would actually trust this one:

Toms Hardware 5870 Review (Italian)

English Translation

• 3 weeks later...

w00p! I'm back biatches! Internet connection fixed :D I'd like to dedicate this miracle to the wonders of the BT iPlate, cost me about £7.50 and it's upped my speed to 8 times what it was and dropped my ping from 800+ to ~60!

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7256

Now to catch up on 9 months of missed Team Fortress 2 playing!