N-Europe

Can i have some tips on writing lyrics?

mcj metroid

I create a lot of music for myself and my band(rock band) and so on. Lyrics is something I just can't seem to get. I tried my hand at them a few days ago and it turned out very cheesy.

Should I write the music first and adapt lyrics to them or should I write blind lyrics and set music to them?

Or do both at the same time?

I know some of you are great at this stuff but I don't tend to be very good. Reading some internet poety has helped a tiny bit I think.

It depends what kind of song you're writing really, and whether or not the lyrics are telling a story, or if they're personal to you, etc.

There's no right and wrong however, one day you'll find a niche for the way you work and be cranking them out in no time :)

Generally the music/chords you've laid down can create a "mood" that the lyrics can drop into. You're generally not going to find songs about lollypops and rainbows in minor chord songs. But as stated it's independant on the person. I just sit and sing randomly whilst strumming/tinkling the chords. Over and over again until something sticks. What may be cheesy to you may be beautiful to someone else. It's all about the confidence and delivery. You can have terrible words but if the melody is memorable you can get away with murder. That's my take on it. If you take everything around you and just think heavily about the world/situations through your own eyes, I'm sure these ideas lead to more ideas and so on and so on....It will come :)

Always carry a notepad and pen/cil. Lyrics come when you least expect it lol. I was dreaming about the army the other day and they were all fake armies. (?!) I came to the conclusion of an 'action figure army' and so I wrote about the whole thing and then played along to thoughts and standout pointers with "action figure army" being the chorus. Thus turning into a song. I learnt to keep paper at hand from reading Paul McCartneys Autobiography. Always helpful.

carry a notepad. Seriously the past 6 weeks there have been days when I just start to talk to myself, in my head of course, and came up with some really good stuff. When it was time to write it down I had forgotten all of what I came up with.:blank:

Definitely have a note pad. A lot of the time you'll come up with something awesome while you're on the bus, or even more common with me, in bed. You think you'll remember it later but you won't, especially in bed. As soon as you think of something good right it down. Don't steal from other artists but look at the things they talk about, the number of comparisons and metaphors they use, don't overkill with adjectives. And tbh, when writing for a band, you have to write to the music. IMO, music is easier to write than words, so put some words to a tune and keep working on it.

A lot of the time you'll come up with something awesome while you're on the bus, or even more common with me, in bed.

:o!

Well I never

But seriously, yes a notepad is a good idea for anyone creative, have one at all times to jot down ideas and notes and stuff.

(p.s. "or, as I often do, in bed" sounds less like you're sleeping with the forumers Shorty :p)

• 2 weeks later...