NEurope
UK

OOT or MM?

OOT or MM?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. OOT or MM?

• OOT
    • MM

I suppose I would choose OOT, but MM is a fantastic game that's literally a hair's length away from being better than OOT to me.

This is a hard one. None of them are as good as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but still very good. Ocarina of Time is fun, but overrated. A few of the dungeons were quite boring, but otherwise quite enjoyable. I just can't see why it's the greatest game of all time. Majoras Mask had better dungeons in my opinion, and harder too. The 72 hour limit was fun and annoying. I beat the fourth boss with only 30 minutes left :P Collecting masks and adding hints to the notebook was very fun. But there should have been more dungeons. I think I have to vote for MM. It's slightly better.

the orb hand bit was frustrating but hell, at least it gave a challenge.

i do love mm, it has a special quality, every note book caracter is a gem, so much personality.

thing is, the game makes me feel slightly sad, i guess its the impending doom, kinda reminds you of your own mortality or limited time, that and the fact that alot of the big caracters had some personal sorrows (goron hero being put to rest and seeing his cheering comrades really stuck with me, and the zora hero's death was sad.)

the music worked perfectly imo, it carried the mornfull theme of the game well, the mostly cheery 1st day, the 2nd bleak day with the rain, the tense and almost frightening mood of the 3rd day, and the music for the last 6 hours makes my balls go just a little bit up.

the whole game is the most emotional game in the serise, and im hard pressed to think of a more emotianaly involving game.

damn i want to change my vote :p

You see, when MM comes out I will download it. However, in the N64 game I went little past the first dungeon, albeit the impending difficulty. If I purchase it, I fear it'll be a game I will never complete, along with DKC and Sonic 2.And I've seen the ending on youtube.

damn i want to change my vote :p

You've made some good arguments and given Majora some great support, I wish you could change your vote! It's cool to see that MM is getting a decent enough amount of votes so far, I expected more of a landslide victory for Ocarina - not that I'm denying its greatness!

Killer Kirby, Deathborn and Daft also made some nice posts, and I totally understand Daft when he said that it feels so much cooler to be one of the people that appreciated Majora's Mask seeing as there seems to be so many others that couldn't get into it. It's a pity though that it didn't end up pleasing more of us though. In a way Majora was made all the more interesting because it had the same characters as Ocarina but they were just in the alternate universe of Termina. It was really interesting to see the lives they were living and how things were panning out for them away from Hyrule, you know what I mean?

And to Zell I say: Link's Awakening is a classic in its own right! : peace:

see when i really get thinking, ocarina of time has some mystic quality i can't really put my finger on. i know its one of the finest designed games, the story is alright, changing into an adult is a stand out moment in games history, it far supasses any moment on mm in terms of impact.

but

mm had a great uniqueness about it, it felt appart from the outher zeldas, oot and tp share so much, but mm did stuff no outher zelda did, it placed more ephasis on relationships, and didn't feel as lonely as oot did, and it had some great surreal moments, the inside of the moon especialy was so brilliantly bizzar.

the graphics were better in mm, the supporting cast were better, the basic gameplay was a little more enjoyable and the artistic quality was better

and yet for all its superior elements, if asked which was my fave my gut instinct would be oot, maybe its the better boss fights, or sheer epicness of the adventure, but i feel maybe, oot was the first time i actualy longed for a game, and had to deal with the huge hype, i think it won me over based no just on the game, but the general time it came out.

that said, i'll always have fond memories of clock town.

Umm... Link's Awakening!

Ah good stuff ... my first experience of Zelda ... I love the Ballad of the Wind Fish!

Do we not have this discussion every 3 months or so?

Apologies to the newer members but it sure feels like it.

Anyway felt I had to vote due to my extreme feeling that MM is by far the better game.

There's so much emotion and all the characters have so much personality in the game. I think the story is the best in the Zelda series by far, including the latest addition. It breaks free from the formula, tries something different and totally succeeds at it.

I know the whole save system thing is confusing, irritating and almost a game breaking issue for some but I argue that that's because you simply don't "get it" yet. It took me a while to really get to grips with it too and a couple of attempts at playing the game but once I did, I wouldn't have it any other way. It was perfect for the game and makes total sense.

OoT does SO much right and in terms of which game has had more influence and which was more ground breaking then it would definitely get my vote. But as this is a "which is the BETTER game" competition, Majora's mask wins hands down. It just refined everything about OoT. It's like the whole Mario 64 / Banjo Kazooie debate that crops up every now and then. Mario 64 was by far the most groundbreaking out of the two. Possibly the most groundbreaking game ever. Doesn't make it the BEST game though and I think some people confuse the difference. I find it hard that anyone can think that that Mario is a better game than BK as BK just refined and improved practically everything about M64. Blatantly stole a lot too but y'know it was just so much better.

The main thing that was lacking in OoT - story, in my opinion, was really given a heave ho. It really felt epic whereas the OoT story felt like 'just another average RPG tale'.

The fierce deity mask was also a fantastic little 'secret'. I don't think I've been so impressed or felt so rewarded by completing a 'collect them all' task since getting super sonic for the first time in sonic 2. I know that is only one little moment but that's the point. Games are all about the little moments, life's all about the little moments. And for me, Majora's Mask had far many more wonderful little moments out of the two games.

Many of these moments revolved around discovering more of the story of the folk of Clock Town. How intricately each of the characters stories twisted and intertwined with each other over the course of 3 days. And how you could change each of their lives by day 3.

I get why many think OoT is by far better but I think for a fair few of you (not everyone, I'm not that arrogant) it's because you haven't put enough time into MM yet to fully get it and I highly recommend that you do. A lot of the best times I've had with that game came after I completed the main storyline for the first time.

I'd say OoT but only because of nostalgia.

MM was just as good I think. I loved the dark atmosphere of it and the whole 'gorundhog day' thing going on was cool. Added a whole new way of planning your events.

Also you could redo dungeons and bosses which was a major bonus. In OoT once you've got to Ganondorf that's it, you can't really do anything else. But in MM you can experience your favourite parts again at will.

I think MM is very underrated and I'd definately put it as OoT's equal. And they are both definately the most perfect games ever created.

I put my tick next to OoT, just because it was there first and was the first really epic game I played. I wish I could vote for them both.

Also OoT has the absolute best collection of music I've heard in a game. But MM had the song of healing which was my favourite zelda song ever.

Have you ever gone to zreo music?Other than Zelda and Zelda 2, it has the best collection of Zelda musik, especially from OOT.

I coted MM, ages ago; don't know if I posted that I did.

I just prefered it as a game, it did have a lil bit of omph due to OOT though (as did WW).

I love:

The dark tone of the game

The proper puzzley time travel

Some of the masks are clever

There's ANOTHER Goron called Link

There's a Hand living in a loo

The characters have weird catchphases/noises when you talk to them

They also have a bit more character

The Aliens were just bloody awesomely creepy.

MM got my vote. Just for the grand and alive feel the world had, (even though it was smaller than OOT). I remember a few tings in OOT and the amazing juxtaposition of 7yrs. But MM had real emotion, developed cut scenes and hard as nails dungeons. Some of the music is still my favourite and far excels OOT. the Astral Observatory is phonomenal. And the oath to order and the wierd red giants were so.... beautiful :D.

Oh and the field at the end with the tree....That was the greatest thing ever. EVER! Such escapism and suprise. Man I love MM. But without OOT it wouldn't. Even. Exist....

oooo.

I will go with OOT but I will defend MM as its one of the most under rated Zelda games out there.

Just as Tapedeck said MM does feel more alive, more so than any other Zelda game. The fact that you do have to take an interest in other peoples lives and routines is what makes MM stand out for me. I mean the whole sidequest for getting the couples mask is truly a magical and emotional experience that any Zelda fan should play through.

The amount of masks/powers that Link gets are amazing and seeing Fierce Deity Link in the final battle is just made of pure win.

I also agree with everyone when they mention the darkness of the game. It gave the Zelda franchise a more adult feel, one which TP didnt even mange to mimic. The game was really filled with a kind of sorrow feeling.

Lastly, the fact that MM had the original Overworld Theme in it is reason enough to love this game. I loved running around Termina Field listening to that remixed tune.

Ah good stuff ... my first experience of Zelda ... I love the Ballad of the Wind Fish!

Link's Awakening...took me 5 years to complete....I gave up near the end and then came back to it like I had only put it down yesterday! Great game.

I would love to see Majora's Mask remade, maybe for the DS.

H-O-T, For purists, the theme tune was remixed in Bflat. it had a wacky military vibe :D

I used to play OOT and just put iron boots/blue getup on and just look at Links air bubbles popping on the surface. I just loved doing that. It was peaceful. It was lovely.

Bizzare I know!!

Then I used to do the same in the Beaver race area on MM as Zora Link. It was somehow sadder if only for the fact that this, and everything in the game was appreciated much more as the ominous moon lurched perilously over the entire skyline. It was a reminder that the little things were precious. Like bubbles popping on a pond. Or a rock band trying to play, or a deceased hero of yesteryear. Or a baby goron growing up. There was depth. Enough to perplex, and emotionally touch/engage the player on a personal level. The aligning of life and death/selflessness/helplessness. Ideas that games rarely forage through. That was what truly made MM darker and 'adult'.

For those who have been 'touched' by MM, Zelda would never be the same again.

Link's Awakening...took me 5 years to complete....I gave up near the end and then came back to it like I had only put it down yesterday! Great game.

I would love to see Majora's Mask remade, maybe for the DS.

I played it there a few weeks ago ... got the perfect ending, without dying once ... I tell ya, it was pretty underwhelming having worked so hard for it!

Just listening to GoNintendos podcast and a few of them complain about MM being too hard. Seriously, what is hard about MM? You just have to learn how to manage your time and you will be fine.

Just listening to GoNintendos podcast and a few of them complain about MM being too hard. Seriously, what is hard about MM? You just have to learn how to manage your time and you will be fine.

Yeah...I found OOT harder that MM; appart from the Final Battle.

If anything nintendo should be aiming at making the difficulty of the furture zelda games like MM

I thought MM was great because of it's hardness.

Not that it was too hard, but if you play a 3D zelda you simply don't expect any kind of challange really. I enjoyed that MM cost me a fair bit of health the first play through.

I started playing through MM again with 3 hearts and as few masks as possible. And it's only taken a couple of hours to get to the last temple. I think that's a bit of a shame, we all know the main quest is darn short, but I was shocked at how quick you can actually zip through it.

That's where OoT is better, the overall length. There are still 20 hearts and tons of collectables, but speed-running the game takes a lot longer.

I'd love to see these two games re-remade for the Wii with improved modern-day visuals. TP style but not as bland and lifeless.

Zelda in HD PS3/360 graphics..... droooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllll

I played it there a few weeks ago ... got the perfect ending, without dying once ... I tell ya, it was pretty underwhelming having worked so hard for it!

There was a "perfect" ending!? Was that in the original or just the DX version!? What happens exactly?

...Moment I can never ever forget:

"Link...Do not be alarmed...Look at yourself!"

That was something really special and had a big effect on me. OOT, though simple, was the quintessential Legend of Zelda.

Though MM was deeper in emotive strength and more extensive, but being in Termina and with the added sense of emergency, however, did not make me feel 'at home'. But it was a great game and technically superior to OOT.

...I choose OOT.

And the order of console games that I enjoyed are as followed:

1. OOT

2. MM

3. TP

4. WW