NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

Games you Hate, But everyone else loves

I've played a lot of MW2 this year, but recently I had a bit of a drunken sesh of Halo with some mates. Whilst the multiplayer in MW2 is great and all, it doesn't come close to Halo's matchmaking. I don't really fully appreciate the campaign, but the sheer number of hours I've put into "owning noobs" over the years puts Halo on another level to other online FPSs.

I hate most/all FPS I've ever played. I can't work them. Or they don't work with me.

It's too hard to have two seperate control sticks to do move about while trying to find your enemy before they just kill you.

I hate it.

I like the tension of the view you're allowed, but hate the actual way they're played. But I'm sure If I could do them properly, they'd be fun. I actually enjoy Halo Co-op most when it's set to only use those little swords. I know what's going on then.

The difference between HL2 and Halo1 is the difference between the best level design FPS can get and no level design (at least Halo1, which is the only one I played).

Topical to this thread:

I didn't like Arkham Asylum. The fighting was good but the items/exploration possibilities were just superficial. The Unreal Engine graphics put me off, the faces of the characters looked horrible, and in general it was more obvious that they were just shells of actual people somehow. It felt like the characters were solid and real when I was playing as Nathan Drake, heck even when playing protagonists in GC/PS2 games they seemed believable.

When Arkham grabbed the UK GotY award over much better nominees I couldn't help but sigh. I swear the fact that it wasn't a crap game rocketed the ratings to extortionate levels.

The difference between HL2 and Halo1 is the difference between the best level design FPS can get and no level design (at least Halo1, which is the only one I played).

How does Halo not have any level design?

How does Halo not have any level design?

All the "Halo" (i.e. the ones on the ring/arks/whatever they're called) buildings are terribly designed. I find that the open levels are pretty well done, though.

and in general it was more obvious that they were just shells of actual people somehow.

I thought that the voice acting and writing made the characters great in Arkham Asylum, unlike games like Prince of Persia (new), Dark Void and Shadow Complex where the bad voice acting/writing destroyed the characters.

I meant more in appearance. The voice acting still looked awkward somehow with expression-less faces like they were empty.

The demo for Dark Void (is that the jet-pack one yeah?) had terrible presentation. The 'cut-scenes' were horrible, as was the dialogue.

I hate bad presentation in games, and it's so common.

Holy god I'm not proud of any comments on this thread. Sorry :D I'm still a bitter bitch though :)

but back to this?

Am I can't remember what I said before but for years I didn't like rpgs. Things have changed since , nowadays I tend to prefer a nice slow relaxing game to a hectic fps.

My favourite games series are fire emblem and advance wars and metroid I guess.

I enjoy a bit of action also, but i find myself desperately trying to get into modern warfare 2 but my competitive spirit died a little.

That's ridiculous. Absolutely farcical assertion.

People say they hate the Gears games. Personally, i love them. Great story to them, great action and combat as such. Multi-player is a hoot. But i don't like the Halo games, but everyone else loves them. I don't know what it is to be fair, but they just don't appeal to me.

I love both Gears of War games too.

Last Christmas I played through the campaign of Halo 3 in 4 player co-op and I don't see the appeal of that game. It was fun, but nothing more.

Thats generally the appeal. It's fun, and with the relatively dynamic AI no two battles will be the same which gives it great replay.

I tend to find that if a game scores very well, and most people love it, I will too. I am quite easy to please. The main exception is probably realistic racers such as Gran Turismo, which I just find dull, I'd rather have an arcade racer with shortcuts and speed boosts any day :) I also get a bit bored by super-deep RPGs such as Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age etc..

I tend to find that if a game scores very well, and most people love it, I will too. I am quite easy to please.

That most likely sums up my gaming experiences as well. But sometimes, i could find a game that has a low score (around 60-70%) a good game, whilst others find it non-enjoyable)

I also get a bit bored by super-deep RPGs such as Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age etc..

I've only been on Oblivion once, still got it on my to-do list. Will have to see how it goes once i get into the game properly.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I've kept an open mind about it all my time as a teenager, maybe I just wasn't understanding what I was doing, maybe I just didn't devote myself to it.

But now, I just don't get the big deal. One of the games heralded for being one of the best of all time, and I think its damn boring. I can see why people might like it, but for it to constantly be claimed to be the game of all games, I'm at a complete loss.

OOT is fantastic when viewed as an overall game I find but it really crawls at some points...

To really love OoT you had to play it when it was new, it was revolutionary. It was the same leap Mario 64 made over Super Mario World. Suddenly this great franchise was in three sprawling, glorious dimensions. And the storytelling was truly epic for a non-RPG title of its era. OoT was a masterpiece, I could go on for ages about things such as the music and the general atmosphere of the huge and wonderfully crafted areas - but it's simply something you either completely get straight away without convincing or you probably never will.

I know the A.I in Halo is better but HL2 is just so much more interesting and the story is so immersive. Not original mind, but it is played out brilliantly and while I think the overall game mechanics of Halo 3 are better and more refined, Half Life 2 is the much more compelling experience. Plus, HL2 has good characters, really incredible characters by general video game standards, especially Alyx. I suppose it comes down to what you appreciate more in games. Apart from anything, for a six year old game to be that good is quite staggering.

I prefer Majora's Mask to OoT generally speaking, although it is a very thin preference.

actually heres one.. I fucking hate the world ends with you!

there expect more soon :D

as a whole i'm not MADLY fond of the pokemon series either.. im just tired of it and kinda shocked nobody else feels the same as its really been the same thing for 10 years.

actually heres one.. I fucking hate the world ends with you!

Same, World Ends With You just felt like a nomura version of Gantz. Plus the whole group of characters were just the same old typical characters you would see in any modern JRPG as well.

I may as well also mention Final Fantasy X and the Kingdom Hearts series while I am here.

I just realised how much I hate sandbox games. GTA, Just Cause etc.

I like limitation in a game, by virtue of the fact that every freedom or empowerment they give you seems exponential comparitively within the games own context (games like Metroid being a prime example). The more choice you have, the more apathetic you become towards the decision you have to make, and the things you can do.

In my experience, sandbox games often have little choice other than "you can do multiple mission arcs at the same time". You still have to do each story arc in order, and these story arcs simply pause if it reaches a plot point involving another mission you haven't reached yet.

Also, open-world describes them a bit better. Sandbox sounds more like Sim City.

I just realised how much I hate sandbox games. GTA, Just Cause etc.

I like limitation in a game, by virtue of the fact that every freedom or empowerment they give you seems exponential comparitively within the games own context (games like Metroid being a prime example). The more choice you have, the more apathetic you become towards the decision you have to make, and the things you can do.

I really dislike too much choice, too. I guess that's why I like more linear games...too much choice can be incredibly distracting. The same goes for having so much choice that you practically determine the entire story...you're usually left with a piss poor plot as a result.

The only time I dislike choice is when I'm not sure what choice to make to get the result I want. Ergo, I save and make choices.