Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Charlie

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this book for 3 or 4 days and only read a couple of chapters o_o I just suck at reading these days when I have a girlfriend, and when she's not about - the internet is available.... Such a shame. What I've read so far is good though :/

if fred and colin didnt die, then it would have been only lupin and tonks who died in the whole battle. It would be quite hard to believe that they managed to kill the whole deatheater army whilst only taking two casualties.

What about the other 46-odd people who died in the battle?

Anyway, got the book yesterday, finished today. Quite enjoyable. Some things I didn't like:

• Most of the travelling around bit was a rather boring - nothing happened. Ron pointing this out just made it more obvious as to how boring it was
  • The ring and the stone got me confused. Was the stone in the ring, or something? Or were they different things altogether
  • Lupin and Tonk's deaths. They could at least told us how they happened.
  • It needed another chapter between the epilogue and the last chapter. It just ended. None of the other books just ended - there was always something after. A chapter about celebration and mourning (explaining how said deaths happened, a memorial service for all those that died in the battle including Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Colin and Snape, plus all the other unnamed people), Harry & Ginny; Ron & Hermionie getting together properly after the battle, who looked after Teddy, had Teddy inherited his Father's warewolfness, why were the Malfoys just let free, who became the new headmaster (It was probably McGonagall), what did Harry do after. Did he just laze around for 19 years, How did the sword get from the Goblin to the Sorting Hat, did Harry ever see the Vernons again (I mean, why reveal that his aunt wanted to go to Hogwarts if it didn't really have any relevance to anything at that point). I suppose all this is a moneymaking scheme for the encyclopaedia.
  • I thought the spiders were friends of Hagrids....
  • What exactly was the point in Colin's death? Did she just think "Hmm...I need one more person to die. I know, I'll throw in Neville carrying Colin after the battle"
  • Why did they just get rid of Mad-Eye's Eye? Why did they not put it somewhere safe until they could give it a proper burial with other people there?
  • If the cloak was perfect, why could the Mad-Eye imposter see Harry when he was in his cloak, and why did the eye not notice Harry in the Ministry?

At least they made it clear that Sirius was dead, and the battle was good.

What about the other 46-odd people who died in the battle?

Anyway, got the book yesterday, finished today. Quite enjoyable. Some things I didn't like:

• Most of the travelling around bit was a rather boring - nothing happened. Ron pointing this out just made it more obvious as to how boring it was
  • The ring and the stone got me confused. Was the stone in the ring, or something? Or were they different things altogether
  • It needed another chapter between the epilogue and the last chapter. It just ended. None of the other books just ended - there was always something after. A chapter about celebration and mourning (explaining how said deaths happened, a memorial service for all those that died in the battle including Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Colin and Snape, plus all the other unnamed people), Harry & Ginny; Ron & Hermionie getting together properly after the battle, who looked after Teddy, had Teddy inherited his Father's warewolfness, why were the Malfoys just let free, who became the new headmaster (It was probably McGonagall), what did Harry do after. Did he just laze around for 19 years, How did the sword get from the Goblin to the Sorting Hat, did Harry ever see the Vernons again (I mean, why reveal that his aunt wanted to go to Hogwarts if it didn't really have any relevance to anything at that point). I suppose all this is a moneymaking scheme for the encyclopaedia.
  • What exactly was the point in Colin's death? Did she just think "Hmm...I need one more person to die. I know, I'll throw in Neville carrying Colin after the battle"
  • Why did they just get rid of Mad-Eye's Eye? Why did they not put it somewhere safe until they could give it a proper burial with other people there?
  • If the cloak was perfect, why could the Mad-Eye imposter see Harry when he was in his cloak, and why did the eye not notice Harry in the Ministry?

only the big **** face now dead spider was hagrids mate, he told them not to harm him when he went into the forest and that was in book 6. Slughorn got the venom from him then. The other spiders would've eaten him long ago if it wasn't for the big scary old dude whose name i can't think of.

-The stone was on the ring, in the same way a diamond is on a diamond ring.

-The reason the sword came out of the hat was because the sword will always appear to a "true gryffindor", like Neville. This happenned to Harry in book 2.

But yeah, the epilogue was really quite poor.

- i thought fred dying was a good move, i mean, theres got to be a fairly big big death for it to really hit home, and fred was one of the most loved supporting roles in the books, his death was pretty hard to take.

also lupin and tonks dying after the baby's birth. well harsh, would have liked to know how thye died, youd assume avada kedava from the description of the bodies

real issue, in the dules, why wouldent the death eaters just be throwing avadad kedava's around, i mean i know you have to mean it but if i was in a battle, id have wanted to kill every one coming at me

i did think it was a little corney how the elves and centaurs came to the aid at the last minute, still im not a magic poletics expert.

- i thought fred dying was a good move, i mean, theres got to be a fairly big big death for it to really hit home, and fred was one of the most loved supporting roles in the books, his death was pretty hard to take.

also lupin and tonks dying after the baby's birth. well harsh, would have liked to know how thye died, youd assume avada kedava from the description of the bodies

real issue, in the dules, why wouldent the death eaters just be throwing avadad kedava's around, i mean i know you have to mean it but if i was in a battle, id have wanted to kill every one coming at me

i did think it was a little corney how the elves and centaurs came to the aid at the last minute, still im not a magic poletics expert.

Nor a great speller for 20 years of being alive.

• The 'boring travelling round bits were important, if they just went from horcrux to horcrux it would have been too unrealistic. They were 17 with no clue how to carry on it was needed to show they really weren't all powerful.
  • As mentioned, the stone set in the ring was the Hallow.
  • It was a battle (as I've said) if Harry wasn't there to see it 'we' weren't there to see it.
  • I agree, an extra chapter would have been good, but as JK says if she put in what everyone wanted, the book would have had to have been >1000 long, including the middle names of Harry's Great-great grandparents!!
  • As pointed out, only Aragog was Hagrid's friend, his offspring had no such loyalty. (But how did he escape??)
  • Colin was the example to the reader that even the young, underaged and innocent were victims too. Also proves why Colin was in Gryffindor, he stayed and faught when he didn't have to/told not to!
  • They never knew when the'd have a chance again, but I would have put it to good use some how!
  • But then so could Dumbledore, very powerful magic could probably penetrate it! And the eye would have seen Harry, but as no-one was looking at it so who colud see him??

• The 'boring travelling round bits were important, if they just went from horcrux to horcrux it would have been too unrealistic. They were 17 with no clue how to carry on it was needed to show they really weren't all powerful.
  • As mentioned, the stone set in the ring was the Hallow.
  • It was a battle (as I've said) if Harry wasn't there to see it 'we' weren't there to see it.
  • I agree, an extra chapter would have been good, but as JK says if she put in what everyone wanted, the book would have had to have been >1000 long, including the middle names of Harry's Great-great grandparents!!
  • As pointed out, only Aragog was Hagrid's friend, his offspring had no such loyalty. (But how did he escape??)
  • Colin was the example to the reader that even the young, underaged and innocent were victims too. Also proves why Colin was in Gryffindor, he stayed and faught when he didn't have to/told not to!
  • They never knew when the'd have a chance again, but I would have put it to good use some how!
  • But then so could Dumbledore, very powerful magic could probably penetrate it! And the eye would have seen Harry, but as no-one was looking at it so who colud see him??

We got an explanation for Mad-Eye. Harry didn't see it, but we knew exactly what happened. The same could have been done for Lupin and Tonks - 1 small paragraph would be all that was needed.

What's the point of giving the door a security feature like that if it isn't useful when noone is in the room?

Anyway, the perfectness of the cloak was a continuity error.

I'm still pissed off about the epilogue. What the fuck happenned in those nineteen years? Did McGonagall become head? What happenned to Hagrid? Was Snape remembered as a hero or villain? Did Harry become an auror? Who did Malfoy marry? What the fuck happenned? Grr...

I'm still pissed off about the epilogue. What the fuck happenned in those nineteen years? Did McGonagall become head? What happenned to Hagrid? Was Snape remembered as a hero or villain? Did Harry become an auror? Who did Malfoy marry? What the fuck happenned? Grr...

...will be revealed in the encyclopaedia

She's already answered some of those, the link is on Mugglenet. McGonagall is not the Headmaster in the Epilogue. Snape is not a Hero, every thing he did in the previous 6 books is still valid; i.e. a bully, spiteful etc... Harry and Ron are both Aurors, but radically change the Auror division. Hermione is high up in the Dept. for Magical Law Enforcement.

I actually think the very vague epilogue was a perfect way to end the story. If Rowling would have tried to cram everything that had happened during those 19 years in one chapter, it could´ve easily become basically a list.

And btw, according to Rowling, Ron and Harry did became aurors. (EDIT: Beaten by Phube..)

I really appreciate how there are tons of these little clues and hints in all of the books from The Philosopher´s Stone to Deathly Hallows that really make sense only now when the series is completed.

For example, the first thing we EVER see Snape do in any of the books is look straight into Harry's (Lily´s) eyes (which is also the last thing he does). In OOTP we hear Petunia talking about Lily and "that nasty boy" who everyone of course assumed to be James but who really was Snape.

Seems like Rowling knew what she was doing the whole time.

I really appreciate how there are tons of these little clues and hints in all of the books from The Philosopher´s Stone to Deathly Hallows that really make sense only now when the series is completed.

For example, the first thing we EVER see Snape do in any of the books is look straight into Harry's (Lily´s) eyes (which is also the last thing he does). In OOTP we hear Petunia talking about Lily and "that nasty boy" who everyone of course assumed to be James but who really was Snape.

Seems like Rowling really knew what she was doing the whole time.

Sad correction, sorry....

"That awful boy..."

I loved the book and all but just a couple of things that annoyed me (just slightly)

I wanted to see everyones response when Voldermort got defeated from the people he knew such as the Weasleys,Dumbledores Brother,Teachers etc after they went to Dumbledores office.

Also why 19 years? Such a long time though for a time skip, thought under 10 years would of done it and i'm curious as to what happened to other people apart from Harry,Ginny,Ron,Hermoine and Neville.Really should of been longer.

Would it of killed her to add more about the other characters and what they're up to now though.

I loved the book and all but just a couple of things that annoyed me (just slightly)

I wanted to see everyones response when Voldermort got defeated from the people he knew such as the Weasleys,Dumbledores Brother,Teachers etc after they went to Dumbledores office.

Also why 19 years? Such a long time though for a time skip, thought under 10 years would of done it and i'm curious as to what happened to other people apart from Harry,Ginny,Ron,Hermoine and Neville.Really should of been longer.

Would it of killed her to add more about the other characters and what they're up to now though.

I think she put 19 years as it was long enough to stop her having to do anouther book, Harry is 36 and not really young enough to be on his usual muckings on, and it erases the question of anything ahppeneing between the last chapter and the end that could be written about

Also, i think that the 19 year gap, Rowling is abel to put in harrys kids without making it seem he had them too young, he have been 24 when the first was born, some what preserving the traditional family unit.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!