NEurope

Not even him agrees with himself (although he does raise some good points), its just the way he writes and part of his humor.

Anyone know of a great phone out at the moment?? I'm on contract so can get pretty much anything (to a certain degree =]) I was looking at getting a sony ericsson (sp? :S) with like mp3 stuff. But just wondering if any of you could recommend a great handy lil phone worth getting at the mo? =]

Wow, that does look pretty sweet! I might actually get that if it comes over here :)

lol @ iPhone comparison (yes, another one where it gets owned)

When are people going to realise that the iPhone isn't about FEATURES, it's about innovation and a new way to use mobile phones. Revolutionary for short.

It's Apple's first mobile phone for christ sake, of course it's not going to be perfect feature wise.

The whole point about the iPhone is it's OS/Multitouch/accelerometer etc etc... not the apps (of which there are a fair few cool ones anyway).

The iPhone is a fantastic product, but isn't the best mobile phone out there. YET.

Random fact, half good half bad, a nurse at work told me about some site doing deals on phones at the moment where if you get a certain contract minimum per month, you can get free stuff like HDTVs, PS3s, 360s, Wiis(she got a wii, but she says she's still waiting). The bad news is, she couldn't remember who it was that was doing it.

Anyway, this post is about me! I just bought me a Nokia 6300 like yesterday morning, and I kept my existing pay as you go O2 sim card(as I don't spend enough for contract to be worth it), which I've had for like 5 years along with my ancient samsung a800(a300? i dunno, it was a little monochrome flip phone). Anyway, of course I now have a phone that can actually do things, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any places good for free stuff like ringtones, themes, and other random stuff for my phone. Also, if anyone knows, I kind of lost my voicemail server number in the transfer, and I can't seem to get onto WAP with the phone atm, though I'm gonna contact o2 about that.

Wow, that does look pretty sweet! I might actually get that if it comes over here :)

lol @ iPhone comparison (yes, another one where it gets owned)

I read up about it, it's not going to come out here because of the technology it uses. Google "Helio Ocean UK" if you want to know more. :heh:

When are people going to realise that the iPhone isn't about FEATURES, it's about innovation and a new way to use mobile phones. Revolutionary for short.

It's Apple's first mobile phone for christ sake, of course it's not going to be perfect feature wise.

The whole point about the iPhone is it's OS/Multitouch/accelerometer etc etc... not the apps (of which there are a fair few cool ones anyway).

The iPhone is a fantastic product, but isn't the best mobile phone out there. YET.

It's all very well being innovative, but wheres the sense in innovation without function?

I'll buy an iPhone when a number of things happen:

1. They give me a keypad. The iPhone's touch screen keypad is useless, you actually have to look at it to use it!

2. They give me 3G data access. Maybe even go 1 step better and offer support for 4MB/s HSDPA! Edge is WAY too slow.

3. They include a Video camera.

4. They enable Stereo Bluetooth for wireless headphones.

5. LET OTHER PEOPLE WRITE APPS FOR THE PHONE!!!!!!!

There is more, but these are the most important to me personally.

Im also not really convinced they've done anything innovative. They've replaced buttons with a touch screen and added a tilt switch to rotate the screen (which doesn't actually work properly). The old fashioned button would have done a better job of both functions :p

The OS however is very nice. Hopefully it will spur Symbian into making they're (vastly superior) OS more user friendly (i.e. prettier)

I read up about it, it's not going to come out here because of the technology it uses. Google "Helio Ocean UK" if you want to know more.

Damn. Guess im stuck with Nokia and Sony Ericsson for the time being then :(

I agree, and I'm thinking twice about getting one because of the huge flaws you mentioned (3G, MMS, Video camera....).

Keypad I don't mind if it doesn't have one, I've heard it's ok.

Im also not really convinced they've done anything innovative.

So having a huge multi-touch glass display running OS X in a body that's about 1cm thick, whist at the same time having 8gb of storage, a new way to browse music and view photos, an accelerometer, as well as YouTube clips, weather and stock widgets, visual voicemail, proper web browsing and an OS that is pure genius... isn't innovation?

Give them a break, it's their first phone and what they've realeased, while very flawed in certain areas, is still something to be admired.

My N91 did all of that stuff, the only difference is the iPhone does it with a touch screen and a nicer looking OS.

The multitouch screen is certainly an innovation though, just not a particularly practical one

Keypad I don't mind if it doesn't have one, I've heard it's ok.

tbh my hate of touch screens stems from demo-ing a Prada for a week (review sample). I was trying to send a text whilst eating breakfast, but because i had to look at the phone to type i ended up spilling milk + cereal everywhere. Not good.

Ultimately i'd rather see Apple make a more practical phone and turn the iPhone concept into iPDA. The iPhone would work a lot better as a PDA than it does as a phone (another thing that makes the "no 3rd party apps" annoying)

My N91 did all of that stuff, the only difference is the iPhone does it with a touch screen and a nicer looking OS.

The multitouch screen is certainly an innovation though, just not a particularly practical one

Your N91 let you watch every youtube video on their site? Did it include maps and visual voicemail and an accelerometer? Mulititouch is incredibly practical and I think you need to use it before judging negatively. The way it handles photos is stunning and the OS looks perfect. Series 60 on phones is also good however.

tbh my hate of touch screens stems from demo-ing a Prada for a week (review sample). I was trying to send a text whilst eating breakfast, but because i had to look at the phone to type i ended up spilling milk + cereal everywhere. Not good.

Oh god, the Prada is a horrible phone with a horrible touch-screen. A phone that was lazily and cheaply created in an effort to rival the iPhone, trouble is it failed horribly.

Your N91 let you watch every youtube video on their site? Did it include maps and visual voicemail and an accelerometer? Mulititouch is incredibly practical and I think you need to use it before judging negatively. The way it handles photos is stunning and the OS looks perfect. Series 60 on phones is also good however.

Oh god, the Prada is a horrible phone with a horrible touch-screen. A phone that was lazily and cheaply created in an effort to rival the iPhone, trouble is it failed horribly.

Indeed, there are loads of iPhone styles rip offs out there now.

Those reasons above are the reason why iPhone does stuff not saw before. Also you have a huge high quality screen to watch widescreen movies on, and a fecking iPod inside of it. And a full browser. Plus you can type just as fast, or faster for some people, on the iPhone due to the predictive and error correction software in the iPhone.

Difference being is that no matter what other companies do to out spec the iPhone, no other company could make one. The experience of using it is far and above that of any other phone, smartphone or not.

Anywho, i came in here to say that Apple have 2 new iPhone ads up on their US site.

Difference being is that no matter what other companies do to out spec the iPhone, no other company could make one. The experience of using it is far and above that of any other phone, smartphone or not.

This really is what i love most about the iPhone. You say this and yet really Apple are just raising the bar. It's a good thing the iPhone is coming because now Symbian will have to make the next version of they're OS a lot more user friendly and a lot better looking! (no, im not going to be converted from symbian, ever)

Yes it is. But the iPhone isn't going to change the problem i had with the Prada's keypad.

Your N91 let you watch every youtube video on their site? Did it include maps and visual voicemail and an accelerometer?

The accelerometer wouldn't have been usefull in the N91. It isn't even practical in the iPhone (google it), a button would have done a better job of rotating the screen. Im not sure what "visual voicemail" is tbh but the N91 did the other 2 things, and is 18 months old now! I'd like to see Nokia replace it tbh, it's the best phone i've ever used (and i've been through a lot of them)!

Mulititouch is incredibly practical and I think you need to use it before judging negatively. The way it handles photos is stunning and the OS looks perfect. Series 60 on phones is also good however.

How you can compare the N91 to the iPhone is beyond me. If you're going to choose a series 60 phone, at least compare it to the N95 which is the best there is at the moment.

"a button would have done a better job than rotating the screen" ... huh? How much simpler can turning the device on it's side be? You would have to turn it after you press the button anyway!

N91 definately doesn't let you watch the entire youtube library because not even the N95 can do that.

Yes it is. But the iPhone isn't going to change the problem i had with the Prada's keypad.

But the Prada's screen is cheap and plastic and impossibly rubbish to use. Ie. the technology used in it isn't a patch on multi-touch. Plus the screen on the iPhone is bigger and it has auto-correcting predictive text when typing.

At least the iPhone will make the other manufacturers sit up and take notice and hopefully improve.

How you can compare the N91 to the iPhone is beyond me. If you're going to choose a series 60 phone, at least compare it to the N95 which is the best there is at the moment.

I used the N91 for a year, so i know the phone inside and out. The N95 on the other hand i borrowed off my dad for a week.

Also, it'd be unfair to compare the N95 to the iPhone. The N95 is a business phone that does so much more than the iPhone wheras the N91 has similar functions and a similar target audience.

"a button would have done a better job than rotating the screen" ... huh? How much simpler can turning the device on it's side be? You would have to turn it after you press the button anyway!

You do know the iPhones accelerometer doesn't always work right? It's also garaunteed not to work if you hold it horizontal or near horizontal. A button on the other hand just works :)

N91 definately doesn't let you watch the entire youtube library because not even the N95 can do that.

Ok, fair enough. I might have been wrong, can't check because i broke the phone a few months back :cry:I do remember using YouTube on it though

But the Prada's screen is cheap and plastic and impossibly rubbish to use. Ie. the technology used in it isn't a patch on multi-touch. Plus the screen on the iPhone is bigger and it has auto-correcting predictive text when typing.

But none of that was where my problems lay with the Prada. I said in my post that due to lack of buttons to feel you actually have to look at the keypad to type everything! It might not seem like a big deal but it really annoyed me after a few days. Theres no way the iPhone can be different as it's an inherent problem in the idea of the touch screen.

I could live with the faults you listed above, this on the other hand i can't live with.

At least the iPhone will make the other manufacturers sit up and take notice and hopefully improve.

As long as they don't start tacking touch screens onto every single phone i'll be happy. The iPhone will do nothing but good for mobile phone operating systems :)

Also, it'd be unfair to compare the N95 to the iPhone. The N95 is a business phone that does so much more than the iPhone

Like what may I ask? Apart from GPS navigation (and bear in mind the iPhone has actual satellite imagery) and a 5MP camera?

You do know the iPhones accelerometer doesn't always work right? It's also garaunteed not to work if you hold it horizontal or near horizontal. A button on the other hand just works :)

I've read countless reviews of the device and haven't heard a single word about the accelerometer not working and therefore the screen not switching sides. The technology used to get that particular funtion is flawless.

Anyway this is only the 1st version iPhone, but it still deserves all the praise it gets. Yes there's no 3G or video recording but its innovation, the main purpose of the phone is fantastic and it's housed in a gorgeous body with an added video iPod nano included! (+ a better battery life than the N-Series nokias).

Wondering whether I should get it, probably will and I've been using series 60 phones for the last 6 or so years.

http://www.myitablet.com/dont-freak-out-when-the-iphone-accelerometer-doesnt-work-021053.php

The accelerometer doesn't work when the iPhone is either horizontal or near horizontal. I guarantee it, it's a flaw in the tech itself (i.e. it uses gravity)

As for the features the N95 has over it:

1. Proper syncing with Microsoft Outlook

2. Video Recording

3. FM Tuner

4. Stereo Bluetooth

5. GPS (the N95 has google maps as well)

6. 3G internet access

7. Bluetooth/USB modem (i.e. connecting you're laptop to the net via the phone)

8. Replacement battery

9. 3rd Party Apps

I could go on, but you get the idea. The iPhone is a mainstream entertainment device, the n95 is a business device.

Most people used to using business phones as business phones would crack up at points 1, 6, 7 and 9. All 4 have become standard business tools that have been around for a fair while (the N95 just did all 4 very, very well)

Anyway, my point all along has been that other than the GUI the iPhone doesn't bring anything new (and useful) to the market. The brilliant thing is that the GUI is so good it allows the iPhone to get away with being a very underpowered mobile phone.

The n95 is a nice phone....The video camera is brilliant I have to admit that.

Symbian aint a bad OS either. (It was responsible for my addiction to owning phones within the smartphone genre...Although Nokias pissing about with releasing phones was my reason for updating to the XDA 2 and the WM platform).

As for a serious iPhone contender that is hackable as hell try : http://www.htctouch.com/

Already released on T-mobile and Orange under other names

(Still no good for me though....VGA spoilt me :P)

Another thing about the iPhone's accelerometer. It's not good for using it in bed, if you lie on your side it will change when you don't want it to etc.

I'm currently looking for a new phone. WiFi is a must along with 3G, Windows Mobile 6 would be nice but 5 will do.

Any recomendations?

I'm currently looking for a new phone. WiFi is a must along with 3G, Windows Mobile 6 would be nice but 5 will do.

Any recomendations?

What sort of spending limit are you looking at ?

Contract ?

Size restrictions ?

What sort of spending limit are you looking at ?

Contract ?

Size restrictions ?

Cheap as possible (ie. just not too much) :heh:

I'm on a contract with Three already, so the phone will have to be either SIM Free, on Three, or unlocked.

Size doesn't really bother me as long as it fits in my pocket.