NEurope

I personally don't know anyone willing to pay that price for features they'll use once or twice.

That's exactly what i thought, but when i got mine i found the apps to be really good and i use them all the time. I have my Hotmail rigged up to my iPhone, i use the iPod on it all the time etc. There good apps that are handy, not useless junk no one will use.

Apple likes its products to be fool proof and constantly high quality, so of course they wouldn't let anyone put anything on their phone.

They don't do that on the Mac. Why? Because people would laugh at the Mac because it's such a fantastically horrible idea.

Clearly the only reason Apple are doing this is because they can see that if they get 30% of the monies made, they'll be rolling in the cash.

It's kinda like saying we should have a camera in every house so that the government can ensure no one's breaking the law. Sure it would cut down on crime but life wouldn't be as fun.

macs and phones are fundamentally different pieces of consumer electronics, though the iphone is very pc like its a phone. I seriously doubt the money apple is making will be in anyway different to the money it makes on song sales which basically pay for the hosting and advertising of the service, maintainence and development costs of the platform and other such things we consumers take for granted. Apple are the opposite of console manufacturers, apple use its software to sell hardware which makes them money. Rather than selling hardware at a last and skinning us through fees associated with software sales.

Ooo first post typed using my iPhone ^_^

I seriously doubt the money apple is making will be in anyway different to the money it makes on song sales which basically pay for the hosting and advertising of the service, maintainence and development costs of the platform and other such things we consumers take for granted.

OK so basically Apple could just not host the apps for developers and not screen them for 'unsuitable content' and save themselves some cash and let developers take care of themselves. I'm sure the developers are big boys now.

Maintenance and development costs of the platform? I thought costs like that were covered by the money people use to buy the devices. Then they also have a slice of you iPhone users' contracts going to them every month, that should be more than enough to continue development of the platform.

And advertising of the service? I think the point of advertising a service is that the advertising pays for itself.

I just thinks it's odd how you think Apple has to charge 30% to continue developing and maintaining the platform. Nokia, among many others, manage to let developers release their own software on their own terms and they seem to be doing ok. Hell, Nokia release firmware updates for free, just the other day I updated my N95 to v20, gave me a few nice little additions to my phone including a few backend changes, i.e. 'developing the platform'.

I think it's clear the 30% is profit for Apple. Apple isn't a charity, they're just another big American corporation.

Nokia is dead to me, the N95 is almost as big a pile of shit as the N73. And i've had both unfortunately.

The SDK and other software is very nice and it's free, are you forgetting this as well?

So i give a shit also? I have a fucking amazing mobile phone, media player and internet device, which is probably the best looking, most usable smartphone ever made in addition to syncing seamlessly with my content on my computer and making my life a lot easier, and my pockets less heavy with gadgets. I love my phone, it's the best thing i have ever purchased bar from my mac last year.

Also much like my mac was the first computer not to disappoint me, the iPhone is the first phone to actually make me happy and meet my expectations.

Nokia is dead to me, the N95 is almost as big a pile of shit as the N73. And i've had both unfortunately.

I have an N95. Best phone I've ever had. It let's me play ScummVM wherever I am, that's the coolest thing a phone can possibly do.

The SDK and other software is very nice and it's free, are you forgetting this as well?

A lot of people do free SDKs. And 'other software'? Like the other software the iPod Touch users had to pay £12.99 for despite the software already having been developed for the iPhone and already being fully compatible with the iPod Touch, essentially giving Apple infinite profit?

So i give a shit also?

I don't really care if you give a shit, it just annoys me when people on the Internet are wrong,

duty_calls.png

So what you're saying is people can't have an opinion.

I stopped posting in Apple arguments because people are usually offensive in what they say to Apple fans. I know some Apple fans can sound like the think they're better than others just because their hardware has an Apple logo, but I don't think theres a need to call people 'idiots' for buying stuff etc.

I'm not sure why it means so much to people to have a go at everything to do with Apple.

Meh *Goes back to enjoying iPhone*

Personally i don't. The iPhone is a good phone, it's not the messiah of the mobile world though. It's an alternative to the N95 and similar phones. On the plus side it has a good OS, web browser and the touch screen works well. On the downside it lacks 3G, is locked to O2 and it's locked for 3rd party apps.

There's good sides and bad sides and it's up to people to decide what is right for them. Neither product is better. The only thing that pisses me off is the bullshit elitism.

In my eyes the same goes for Macs. Until my parents got one i was willing to admit i might be wrong about them, but now im adamant that they aren't any better than PCs. They are just an alternative.

My parent's Mac crashes, freezes and glitches just as the Windows computer it replaced, the only difference now being that i have no idea how to help them fix the problems when they occur!

Please be nice people :) Having a discussion isn't any reason to talk bollocks

Apple likes its products to be fool proof and constantly high quality, so of course they wouldn't let anyone put anything on their phone.

You can play pause and skip track without taking the iPhone out of your pocket using the iPhone earphone with the mic/clicker thing which answers calls, hangs up, play/pause and skip track with 2 clicks. And the playback volume can be controlled with the volume adjustment buttons on the top left side of the iPhone, not on the iPod touch.

I found that the clicker/mic combined with the volume control being on the side allowed me more control and far easier control of music playback than on my iPod classic.

To be honest I don't think many mp3 players these days really take into consideration the issue of how to use it while it's in your pocket. The best time I ever had of that was years ago when I used a Sony MD Player and they made great half-way remotes.

Personally i don't. The iPhone is a good phone, it's not the messiah of the mobile world though. It's an alternative to the N95 and similar phones. On the plus side it has a good OS, web browser and the touch screen works well. On the downside it lacks 3G, is locked to O2 and it's locked for 3rd party apps.

There's good sides and bad sides and it's up to people to decide what is right for them. Neither product is better. The only thing that pisses me off is the bullshit elitism.

In my eyes the same goes for Macs. Until my parents got one i was willing to admit i might be wrong about them, but now im adamant that they aren't any better than PCs. They are just an alternative.

My parent's Mac crashes, freezes and glitches just as the Windows computer it replaced, the only difference now being that i have no idea how to help them fix the problems when they occur!

Please be nice people :) Having a discussion isn't any reason to talk bollocks

Agree with this post. I mean just because I prefer my Mac and iPhone doesn't mean the next person will. Whenever people ask me stuff like 'Is the iPhone good?' I'm never quite sure what to say in reply, because obviously I really like it and it would be easy to just say yes it's great, but really the other person needs to try it for themselves and decide if it's what they want.

Nope, which I agree is absolute arse, but then I've sent about 2 in my entire life and that was only because I got given some free ones, so it doesn't bother me.

Whoa whoa whoa.. iPhone doesn't do MMS?!

I just send pictures as emails. I never used MMS either, like That Guy.

One of the soul reasons I upgraded my phone last year was so I could send video messages. Whats the fucking point of having a camera (I'm assuming the iPhone lets you take videos) if you can't send them to friends.

I'm expecting a response like "you can transfer them to a computer then send them". But who carries their computer or mac or what ever about all the time.

I just send pictures as emails. I never used MMS either, like That Guy.

Problem with that is your friends then have to have a phone that does emails and then have email set up on their phone. Which believe you me, isn't as easy as it sounds.

*looks at D900*

You're shitting me?!

Sadly, no.

To be fair though if you hack he phone and install custom apps then the iPhone can send MMS and take videos. The features are there, im guessin Apple are just waiting for the right moment to charge people extra for them :indeed:

Sadly, no.

To be fair though if you hack he phone and install custom apps then the iPhone can send MMS and take videos. The features are there, im guessin Apple are just waiting for the right moment to charge people extra for them :indeed:

lol! Who knows?!

on the upside, the iPhone has piss easy email set-up. I tried doing it on my N95 and got bored.

Sadly, no.

Lol, I think they said they wanted people to use everything the phone has to offer, and that they were listening to what people wanted from it.

My guess is these features will be done by 3rd party apps eventually. Again I don't use them.

I've had phones with tons of features before and never used them at all. I use all of the iPhones ones pretty much every day.

lol! Who knows?!

on the upside, the iPhone has piss easy email set-up. I tried doing it on my N95 and got bored.

I didn't actually have to set mine up. After activating the phone it had synced settings from my computer.

Only criticism of the Email app is that it doesn't seem to autocheck very often. Mines set to autocheck every 30 mins and it simply doesn't half the time.

I didn't actually have to set mine up. After activating the phone it had synced settings from my computer.

Only criticism of the Email app is that it doesn't seem to autocheck very often. Mines set to autocheck every 30 mins and it simply doesn't half the time.

Mines set to do every 15mins, hopefully apple will update .Mac mail to push email in june too.

How can i get the iPhone to work with my Hotmail account?

After a quick Google, I don't think you can because Hotmail doesn't support POP3 unless you pay for the premium account.

Before anyone goes blaming Apple for this, POP3 is pretty much a standard now so it's really Microsoft to blame for this one, not Apple.

I have an app that does it on my N95's S60 OS, same with Gmail. Surely theres an app you can use to access it?