NEurope

How does the sat nav work on the n95 do you have to pay for it?

Poorly and yes, i believe so.

I used it to direct my mom the familiar route from Birmingham to Manchester but it lagged a few hundred meters behind where i actually was, which lead to a couple missed turns. Another problem was it took a while for it to load up the maps but ah well, still usable, but only in times of dire need.

I expect the iPhone 3G GPS to be a lot more accurate.

For the N95 GPS to work its recommended you have maps 2.0 installed and that you have the slider up on the phone. Oh and you're on the latest firmware.

Thankfully that was fixed in the N95-3/4... but not for us. I'm sure the iPhone 3G will the best thing ever created, God himself would probably give it 100% perfect GPS. :indeed:

All phones have flaws, personally i've never used the GPS on my phone i've never had reason to so i can't say how good/bad the proformance is. But generally speaking its supposed to be alright.

Thankfully that was fixed in the N95-3/4... but not for us. I'm sure the iPhone 3G will the best thing ever created, God himself would probably give it 100% perfect GPS. :indeed:

Just saying, since it uses a combination of 3 things to determine you're location rather than just relying on stalites. Moo :D

Ah right...I'm mainly wanting it for the big screen for web browsing and the great camera. It was my missus that was wondering about the sat nav. Takeo how does it do if its not sats up the sky?

Mobile web browsing still isn't great, i mean even with Opera Mini.

The camera is pretty unbeatable on the N95 (for the mean time anyway untill SE bring out their new range, some of them having a 8.2MP camera and a real Xenon flash meaning it'll basically be a true digital camera).

Mobile web browsing still isn't great, i mean even with Opera Mini.

The camera is pretty unbeatable on the N95 (for the mean time anyway untill SE bring out their new range, some of them having a 8.2MP camera and a real Xenon flash meaning it'll basically be a true digital camera).

yeah its is the camera mostly... for web browsing its not like to do tons of stuff just to check emails and forums thats it really.

You can get software to turn an N95 (or other N-Series phone) in to a WiFi access point, so if you have a mobile web browser (laptop, internet tablet, iPod Touch) you could use that to browse the web through the phone.

You can get software to turn an N95 (or other N-Series phone) in to a WiFi access point, so if you have a mobile web browser (laptop, internet tablet, iPod Touch) you could use that to browse the web through the phone.

would it work with a DS? my router doesn't.

No, it only recieves, it can't broadcast a signal.

Ah right...I'm mainly wanting it for the big screen for web browsing and the great camera. It was my missus that was wondering about the sat nav. Takeo how does it do if its not sats up the sky?

It uses the satalites, and triangulation between telephone mast things, and information if it hops onto a wi-fi hotspot to give a very accurate way of finding out where you are.

I'm new to this thread so be nice! :p

Right, I'm getting a phone on contract this weekend. I want something with a 5MP camera if possible, good memory for a phone (and if not, a card slot), looks good, plays MP3's and records video and though not really needed - if it's able to access the internet to watch video's or check things that would be ace.

Any idea's? So far I'm thinking Viewty, Samsung Soul, N95 and LG Secret...but each of them have their drawbacks and the N95 especially is a little big.

I ended up buying the LG secret, Everything seemed have a drawback apart from that. So, hopefully when it arrives on friday it's nice.

Wow, well I got my N95 8GB yesterday and it's great. It's really growing on me. When I first unopened the box and switched it on, the handset seemed rather cheap and plasticy compared to my E65, but its really growing on me.

Im having fun downloading a tonne of software and everything looks great on its 2.8 screen. The screen is good for youtube and the S60 browser isnt that bad either. Its pretty speedy..the HSDPA loads everything as quickly as my home broadband connection and I haven't tried it using Opera Mobile 8.65 yet. The back button on the browser gives you a choice of what page you want to return back to. It saves having to click back several times to get to where you want to go.

The sound is really good! It has stereo speakers and playing music through them is a joy. Music sounds the best when you turn on stereo widening. It doesnt sound too bad through earphones either. I really like the ability to have a 3D ringtone. It adds an eerie character to whatever mp3 you choose.

The handset is very fast and there aren't any memory problems. Google maps in satellite view is really fast! Its almost seamless. I havent tried takings pics or videos just yet because there are just too many new settings to get to grips with. I'm loving it.:awesome: Just having it switched on feels as if its sucking all of the energy from the earth. The 8GB of extra storage is superb.

Nokia Maps looks ok for directions and finding specific places of interest. The GPS is telling google maps that Im in some office building 1km away from where I actually am though.:heh: Maybe it works better outside..

The handset itself is actually rather small. It just looks big because its shaped like a brick. If your house was made out of these, then it would be able to travel through space and time.:p

I have a quick mobile phone related question... anyone know the answer to this?

If you use your phone as a modem (with a laptop or whatever) to get access to the internet, will you be charged by your service provider as though you were using internet on your phone?

In other words, I'm on T-Mobile's web-n-walk service for surfing the internet on my phone. If I was to use my phone as a modem for a laptop, would I be charged something new? Or kept to my usual mobile data service charge?

I'm asking because I might change ISP soon, and I'd probably be using my mobile as my means of accessing the internet while the transition was taking place. But one time, before I was on a proper data plan, I did that and got charged loads...

Edit: nevermind...

Can I use my mobile to connect my laptop to the internet?

You can if you've signed up for web'n'walk Plus or Max. It's not an option if you've got the regular version where you pay an extra £7.50 per month on top of your mobile plan. More about Web'n'walk plans >

How you connect varies from phone to phone. In most cases, you'll need to install some software which will be in with your new phone, and connect your mobile to the laptop using a cable.

Note: Not all mobiles are suitable for connecting laptops to the internet.

If you'd like to change your plan so you can use your phone as a modem, call Customer Services on 150 . You can get Web'n'walk Plus for £12.50 per month on top of your standard plan, or Web'n'walk Max for £22.50 per month.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I tested my phone last night and got a speed of 460kbps... I was expecting more, but its perfectly good for browsing the internet with.

I checked my balance with 3 and they didnt charge me. I have their £5 X-Series 1GB add on. Just make sure you dont exceed your usage limit, I've read stories of people ignoring theirs and getting £200,000 bills.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I tested my phone last night and got a speed of 460kbps... I was expecting more, but its perfectly good for browsing the internet with.

I checked my balance with 3 and they didnt charge me. I have their £5 X-Series 1GB add on. Just make sure you dont exceed your usage limit, I've read stories of people ignoring theirs and getting £200,000 bills.

I'm sure for £5 a month you can get unlimited internet with 3? Although that might not let you use it on your laptop.

I remember doing this a couple of years ago with my old SPV E200 (Windows Mobile 4) and Orange as they gave me free internet for a few months. I was getting download speeds of around 300kb/s and as I was on 56k at the time it wa s ahell of a lot faster to use my phone to browse the net.

I'm sure for £5 a month you can get unlimited internet with 3? Although that might not let you use it on your laptop.

Thats what they advertise, but their terms and conditions have it down as 1GB. Thats still more than the competition offers with their "unlimited" internet. If you want any more, they offer a 3GB add on for £14.99 or so.

"Unlimited Data

Fair Use Limit: 1 GB each month"

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/shop_/add_ons_/terms.omp

They have another add on that gives you 3GB, but it costs £15... If you are a 3 customer, you can get a 3GB dongle at half price for £7.50.

Thats what they advertise, but their terms and conditions have it down as 1GB. Thats still more than the competition offers with their "unlimited" internet. If you want any more, they offer a 3GB add on for £14.99 or so.

"Unlimited Data

Fair Use Limit: 1 GB each month"

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/shop_/add_ons_/terms.omp

They have another add on that gives you 3GB, but it costs £15... If you are a 3 customer, you can get a 3GB dongle at half price for £7.50.

Thats bollocks, how can they advertise it as unlimited with a download limit on it?

I remember doing this a couple of years ago with my old SPV E200 (Windows Mobile 4) and Orange as they gave me free internet for a few months. I was getting download speeds of around 300kb/s and as I was on 56k at the time it wa s ahell of a lot faster to use my phone to browse the net.

I think you used to, but you don't anymore, not with a sim/phone contract dealy. Not on my contract anyway... The my3 web via phone is confusing, some of the addons are advertised as unlimited for a fiver on one page, then some are like 1gb for a fiver on another.

@pyxis: I have the data card thing, 3gb limit, the speed is generally pretty good signal. Bearing in mind I do actually live in the back arse of nowhere! Its the fastest service of its kind. 3mb compared to the rest doing around 2mb.

@that guy: All providers do it now, fair usage policy, even ISP's for home broadband have them in place. But they're something like 100gb afaik (depending on ISP)

I think you used to, but you don't anymore, not with a sim/phone contract dealy. Not on my contract anyway... The my3 web via phone is confusing, some of the addons are advertised as unlimited for a fiver on one page, then some are like 1gb for a fiver on another.

@pyxis: I have the data card thing, 3gb limit, the speed is generally pretty good signal. Bearing in mind I do actually live in the back arse of nowhere! Its the fastest service of its kind. 3mb compared to the rest doing around 2mb.

@that guy: All providers do it now, fair usage policy, even ISP's for home broadband have them in place. But they're something like 100gb afaik (depending on ISP)

I know they have fair usage but surely 1GB is a bit tight?

I know they have fair usage but surely 1GB is a bit tight?

Try downloading 1gb from a mobile phone modem and see how far you get :heh: Phones aren't really designed to download huge amounts with. They say "we can give you superfast speeds" etc, but the reality is far from the truth.

I use my data card a lot. between here, msn, other websites, and maybe the odd YT vid, and I rarely creep over 1gb/1.5gb. (and that's a 3 data card, which is probably a bit faster than a phone modem)

Hey people, just wondering if anyone knows how good O2's 3G network is? I'm on 3 right now and it's network seems reasonably fast, just wondering how O2 compares?

<lie> I'm not asking in relation to a particular 'Jesus Phone' by the way... </lie>

o2's 3G is pretty quick, heck in most places you'll actually get 3.5G.

I'm in need of some help/advice from anyone who would know:

Situation, was on Orange paying 20 quid a week to talk for an hour and half with my Girlfriend in Australia, put up with that for a few years until I found in december that "3" had that International Add on (3,000 minutes for 30 days for 15 quid) I thought nice i'm having that, bought a PAYG phone, and have had this since January, and all of a sudden I get a text saying that 3 are stopping the international Add on for PAYG customers, why? Because their fucknig pricks..in my eyes at the minute anyway.

They are keeping it for pay monthly customers though, so I went in the 3 hop next door to us this afternoon to see why they stopped it, guy didn't know, so I asked about pay monthly, he said it's £12 a month for the basic package, couple with 15 for the add on thats £27 a month, if it was 20 then i'd go for it but it's bloody shocking what they've done.

I was just hoping that anyone would know of any alternatives like that? (15 or anything a month for a certain number of minutes) or is it just 3 who have it? I' just pissed off that they suddenly take this away from PAYG customers it's idiotic.