NEurope

I'm in need of some help/advice from anyone who would know:

Situation, was on Orange paying 20 quid a week to talk for an hour and half with my Girlfriend in Australia, put up with that for a few years until I found in december that "3" had that International Add on (3,000 minutes for 30 days for 15 quid) I thought nice i'm having that, bought a PAYG phone, and have had this since January, and all of a sudden I get a text saying that 3 are stopping the international Add on for PAYG customers, why? Because their fucknig pricks..in my eyes at the minute anyway.

They are keeping it for pay monthly customers though, so I went in the 3 hop next door to us this afternoon to see why they stopped it, guy didn't know, so I asked about pay monthly, he said it's £12 a month for the basic package, couple with 15 for the add on thats £27 a month, if it was 20 then i'd go for it but it's bloody shocking what they've done.

I was just hoping that anyone would know of any alternatives like that? (15 or anything a month for a certain number of minutes) or is it just 3 who have it? I' just pissed off that they suddenly take this away from PAYG customers it's idiotic.

Carphone Warehouse do Mobile World, a Pay As You Go tarriff with cheap international calls. I'm not sure how much you're used to paying, but 6p per minute to land lines, 20p per minute to mobiles and 15p per text seems OK to me.

Is the iPhone 3g coming out this week?

http://www.google.com ;)

11th of July. Couldn't you just search next time though?

Carphone Warehouse do Mobile World, a Pay As You Go tarriff with cheap international calls. I'm not sure how much you're used to paying, but 6p per minute to land lines, 20p per minute to mobiles and 15p per text seems OK to me.

Thanks, not sure though, 6p a minute = £3.60 an hour, amount of time we talk on the phone i think i'll be racking up more than what i'm paying now ^^;

I'll keep looking though, might even Phone Three up see whats going on with it though..but their call centres? *Shudders*

Ok I went and called them...tossers, business decision my arse, i'm just pissed off right now.

OK, good luck :) I'm pretty sure you won't get anything that equals that 3 deal unless you go landline though. 0.5p per minute for calls to Australia was pretty amazing, really not surprised they stopped it.

Yup... which is why i'd only buy a phone on contract.

Look at this price for an unlocked N96 O_O

Thats such a pisstake.

The phone I have (on contract - k850i) is utter balls. Wouldn't have paid 100 pound for it if I knew how bad it was in advance >_>

Thats such a pisstake.

Obviously they want you to take it on a contract and put it at a really high price so people don't buy it for PAYG. Most SIM free phones are at a really high price.

Buying it locked to a network on PAYG will most likely be significantly cheaper and then even cheaper or even free on a contract.

Sooooooo, who's getting an iPhone next Friday? I'm very tempted to get one when I get back from my holiday in August as I'll only have a month left on my contract with Three and want to change network already...

Thats such a pisstake

Consider what technology is in that phone, then consider the price of similar technology. Making stuff that powerfull and that small is very, very expensive. We're just lucky that in this country the networks pay most of the phone's cost as part of contracts.

Sooooooo, who's getting an iPhone next Friday? I'm very tempted to get one when I get back from my holiday in August as I'll only have a month left on my contract with Three and want to change network already...

I'll be at the O2 store bright and early on the 11th :awesome:

So I've decided against an iPhone because I don't really need all the features and I can't afford £35/month.

But O2 informs me im due for an upgrade anywho so im looking at either:

Samsung Soul

Sony Ericsson C902

Sony Ericsson K850i

Blackberry 8310

Sony Ericcson P1i

LG Secret

I've had Samsungs a fair while so im used to them, but then it'll be boring as most will be the same. I know I don't want a Nokia N95, seem like more toruble than they're worth.

Mostly going to use it for texting and random photos (although I tend to have a camera with me most places). Anyone care to give insight?

I shall look into it myself when im not so lazy.

N95 can be troublesome if you do what i did and cracked the screen.

The SE P1i is pretty bad ass, but Ash i honestly recommend you hold off till Q3.

The HTC Touch Diamond, SE X1 and Nokia N96 are all coming out and are fantastic phones.

But for photos, i don't see how you can beat an N95. I mean, jeeze it has by far the best camera going.

Yes but my mom's and friend's have stopped sending text messages. And its clunky and awkward to use. I just don't like it. Plus its huge! My 7mp digital camera is smaller :P

How do you know when new phones are coming out? Im impatient you see (well, I like to plan ahead).

May go into the O2 shop on Thursday and play.

Actually im digging the X1 (because it reminds me of the Sidekick :P)

Yeah, its pretty fucking chunky. I have to admit to that.

The N96 is a smaller, lighter (and more features) N95. You might wanna wait off if you want something like that. But... yeah, it really depends on how good you want your photos to look and if its that important.

Yeah im not getting the N96 so lay off it :P

Whens the X1 coming out? I really like it :D (and yeah its only 3.2 but as I say, I tend to have a camera on me anywho).

Mhm been snooping and apparently mid-Sept, but thats probably America.

I get the feeling through I'll wait for it and then find out I can't get it, or have to pay loads or getting a huge contract or whatever. Wait and see. Mid-sept is only ten weeks away. (counting down til I quit work ^-^)

I got a fairly old phone model yesterday (SE k200i)...and it's actually got everything I actually need from a phone.

I probably should have thought about stuff like that more when I originally got my (now broken) k800i....I didn't really need any of it's features (bar the mp3 player). Even though the camera was a massive 3.2 megapixels, it was still fairly lame. And the phone also heavily compressed the images.

Even though the camera was a massive 3.2 megapixels, it was still fairly lame. And the phone also heavily compressed the images.

You weren't impressed with the K800's camera? I'm surprised, I was really impressed with mine! Although I'm getting an iPhone on Friday (to replace an N95 which replaced a K800) so I'm gonna just start carrying my Samsung camera with me, which is surprisingly good except from the fact I've had to start using Lithium batteries with it because regular alkaline batteries last only about 20 pictures with this camera.

So I've decided against an iPhone because I don't really need all the features and I can't afford £35/month.

But O2 informs me im due for an upgrade anywho so im looking at either:

Samsung Soul

Sony Ericsson C902

Sony Ericsson K850i

Blackberry 8310

Sony Ericcson P1i

LG Secret

I've had Samsungs a fair while so im used to them, but then it'll be boring as most will be the same. I know I don't want a Nokia N95, seem like more toruble than they're worth.

Mostly going to use it for texting and random photos (although I tend to have a camera with me most places). Anyone care to give insight?

I shall look into it myself when im not so lazy.

Get a secret. I have one on O2, it's by far the best phone I've ever owned. Everyone who's played around with it loves it too. Seriously, it looks good, is easy to use, has an massive 5mp camera and the calling volume/ringtone volume can be set LOUD which helps so much when in busy or crowded places.

You weren't impressed with the K800's camera?

Initially, yes. Then I realised that they only look good when you resize the photos to 640x480 (or smaller).

Get a secret. I have one on O2, it's by far the best phone I've ever owned. Everyone who's played around with it loves it too. Seriously, it looks good, is easy to use, has an massive 5mp camera and the calling volume/ringtone volume can be set LOUD which helps so much when in busy or crowded places.

Well I've been wanting a Sidekick for ages (even though its a mediocre phone) because im that geeky and because of the QWERTY keyboard and slide-outness so the X1 reminds me of that, but a good phone!

I shall look into the Secret on Thursday though :D Thanks for the insight.

Oh and loud ringtones would help. Not because I can't hear, but because I currently have the Dexter theme and I want everyone else to hear :P

Ooh the Tocco looks tempting. Anyone got any feedback about that one?

Initially, yes. Then I realised that they only look good when you resize the photos to 640x480 (or smaller).

Yep this is too true, also the same with its bigger brother the k850i, despite having a 5.0mp camera.

Also the touch screen thing on the k850i is an ass to use, if you want simplicity, DO NOT get the k850i.

And it looks mingin after a week, mines covered in fingerprints, stupid shiny finish o_o

I must say having hated the look of the N95, the N96 looks like a vast improvement in the ascetic sense. On the other hand the LG secret seems awful, they just seem to be jumping on the touch-screen ban-wagon without investing a good amount of time to perfect it, and it seems quite clunkly.

________

Gm foods

Edited by fex

On the other hand the LG secret seems awful, they just seem to be jumping on the touch-screen ban-wagon without investing a good amount of time to perfect it, and it seems quite clunkly.
Err, I have an LG Viewty, which is touchscreen. It's a lot older than the secret (afaik) and the touch functionality is excellent, not clunky at all.

I don't know about the secret, specifically, but I personally must defend LG's touchscreen capabilities.