NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2007/2008

Capello has said he wants the job, or so I've heard. Maureen said he doesn't want it, so people may as well stop mentioning him. It's Capello, or Scolari.

It's what we deserved and quite frankly I wanted it to happen.

Actually, I'm with you on this, I'm sorta glad this happened.

Whoever gets the job - Doesn't really matter. The problem is deeper than that. Our 'kick-and-rush' football is too inferior to foreign football in which keeping the ball and technically "working" for 90+mins is paramount. That's my personal take on it anyhoo.

It seems like when England have a 'dynamic' defender he can can jostle srtikers off the ball and head over the bar and play direct long balls into the final third. many nations such as Italy(etc) seem to have defenders whom note that passing and positioning are the key components of defenders. And when we have a midfielder who has the ability to 360 then plow the ball over everyones heads in the box (J.Cole) we think he is a magician.

We think that we invented football and therefore we are the "best" before we even cross that white line. We think getting the boot in and a large striker will win us games. Grassroots needs changing. Is it any wonder the large European teams don't take on board our English young lads for their academies?! if our style of play is so much better and exciting well why haven't we wo anything since 1966?!

Maybe this is the kick in the nuts English football needs...I doubt anything will change though.

Whoever gets the job - Doesn't really matter. The problem is deeper than that. Our 'kick-and-rush' football is too inferior to foreign football in which keeping the ball and technically "working" for 90+mins is paramount. That's my personal take on it anyhoo.

It seems like when England have a 'dynamic' defender he can can jostle srtikers off the ball and head over the bar and play direct long balls into the final third. many nations such as Italy(etc) seem to have defenders whom note that passing and positioning are the key components of defenders. And when we have a midfielder who has the ability to 360 then plow the ball over everyones heads in the box (J.Cole) we think he is a magician.

We think that we invented football and therefore we are the "best" before we even cross that white line. We think getting the boot in and a large striker will win us games. Grassroots needs changing. Is it any wonder the large European teams don't take on board our English young lads for their academies?! if our style of play is so much better and exciting well why haven't we wo anything since 1966?!

Maybe this is the kick in the nuts English football needs...I doubt anything will change though.

Bloody hell, you just wrote almost exactly what I was coming on to the forum to write. The rot in English football is deeply ingrained with many factors to blame. Yeah, the managing was shocking, but it's not all McClaren's fault, he shouldn't have had the job in the first place. For that you have to look to the shambles that is the English FA. Then you have the team itself, which despite having seemingly world class talent continually fail to work as a team. They lack any leadership or passion, just someone to actually be a captain and give everyone a kick up the arse during the game. They need to stop playing individual games and actually work together. Finally you've got the media who build up the pressure to boiling point every bloody tournament with the "This England's year, we're definately going to win the European Championship/World Cup, because we're England and we're brilliant and we've won the World Cup once before". Then, surprise surprise, they don't and straight away the media turns denouncing anything and everything in English football. Yet this illusion that England are a dominating force in world football persists despite the fact that for many years now they seem to be bumbling through tournaments playing very mediocre games that just about squeeze the results that allow them to continue to the next round.

Seriously I'm not and England fan at all, but I was disappointed at tonights results. Scotland have got there wake up call and turned things around so they actually look like a decent side with a chance of making an impact, maybe this is the chance for England to try to do the same by addressing these problems. Probably what will happen though is the FA will just appoint a new manager, history will repeat itself and everyone will carry on reliving the 1966 glory days and telling the old myth that England are a force to be reckoned with.

It's all a question of tempo; building an attack slowly and probing the enemy for openings. Also, short passes. Look at the continental teams and see how many passes they string together before attacking.

Just got home from the game, can't believe I wasted £55 for tickets to see that shambles of a match!

The only reason McClaren hasn't resigned is because he wants the pay off he'll receive when the FA sacks him!

Mourinho or Capello plz no excuses no ZOMG THE ENGLAND MANAGER MUST BE ENGLISH get them in now arrange a load of friendlys over the summer hit the qualifying campaign hard for the world cup.

Chances of that actually happening Nood?

Its pretty fucking obvious that McClaren has no spine otherwise he would have quit the job rather than being forced out with a bucket load of money in both hands.

Overall, England didn't deserve to go through. They've struggled even prior to the game yesterday. Croatia was just the icing on the cake.

I can't remember the last time I've seen such a poor England team or performance. Each player seems to do well for their respective clubs on a Saturday, but in the England team, it's been known for a long, long time that this team simply has not been working.

Straight away, they were set up with a 4-5-1 formation. Straight away, you know what system they will be playing: hoof the long ball up to Crouch, see what he can do. Which makes it all that easier for Croatia to defend against. They pretty much had an extra covering defender.

Things improved when a second striker came on, which begs the question: Why didn't the boss put two upfront in the first place?

Defensively: shocking. Wayne Bridge had a nightmare. Couldn't produce a decent cross when he went forward. There was no commander at the back, which means there was nobody bossing the defence and midfield to add cohesian. Add to that, a newly appointed goalkeeper, who has little to no experience at this high level, and this game was a disaster waiting to happen.

When the chips are down, you need your big players to step up to the plate and give us a performance. Nobody did that. They were lucky to get the two goals they did. It does however flatter England, as a 3-2 scoreline makes the game seem closer than it actually was.

maybe not qualifying is a good thing, the last time we didn'y qualify was 1994 and the tournament after - euro 96 is probably the last time we were a great team in a football tournament.

Mourinho or Capello plz no excuses no ZOMG THE ENGLAND MANAGER MUST BE ENGLISH get them in now arrange a load of friendlys over the summer hit the qualifying campaign hard for the world cup.

Noodleman for England manager!

Failing that idea, his two suggestions seem good back up plans.

The Scottish FA guy (completely forgotten his name a tthe moment) wants to arrange a series of friendlies amongst the home nation next Summer like we used to do. Would be a great idea to get a 4-way tournament with Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland.

Noodleman for England manager!

Failing that idea, his two suggestions seem good back up plans.

I couldn't possibly do a worse job.

The Scottish FA guy (completely forgotten his name a tthe moment) wants to arrange a series of friendlies amongst the home nation next Summer like we used to do. Would be a great idea to get a 4-way tournament with Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland.

No thanks, I'd rather not play the bitter Scotch.

I was there last night and my word what an emotional rollercoaster.

We was all well up for it singing along but going 2-0 down so early on was terrible, we were dejected. We still tried to get behind the team but when they were playing like that it was very had to do so.

2nd half better and when it went 2-2 I thought we had done it. So gutting ah man.

So many poor performances. Bridge was shocking, campbell had no pace, Gerrard what the fuck? and apart from lampard scoring the penalty I don't think he actually touched the ball.

In my opinion the only player who deserves praise was Beckham. He came on and seemed to be the only player with some passion and urgency. No one else looked bothered, walking around not getting involved was awful.

The team were booed off at the end (I personally didn't boo but can understand why people did) The only player who stayed out was Beckham and he went around and showed some appreciation to the crowd and he got a standing ovation back which was well deserved.

What a total complete fuck up.

The only player who stayed out was Beckham and he went around and showed some appreciation to the crowd and he got a standing ovation back which was well deserved.

What a total complete fuck up.

I can't believe none of the others players bothered to stay out on the pitch! Beckham has gained so much more respect from me because of that little gesture.

Becks is a bit of an England legend really. He bleeds red and white, and some of the stick he gets is outa fucking line. Shame his wife is an annoying bint though.

Just because you know we'd beat you. :heh:

Probably would to be honest if it were led by McSven. If we get a proper manager, then we'd probably beat you easily.

anyone remember how poor brazil were when they had their all star team in 2004-2006? kaka, robinho, adriano, ronaldo, jeninho panembucano (sp?), gilberto, ZeRoberto ect. they were an all star individual collcetion of 11 players gettin nowher then cam Dunga, dropped some players, changed the system, lost the whole flair and entertaining football and played a solid physical style. they improved by alot, wait till coppa america.

thats what england need.

anyone remember how poor brazil were when they had their all star team in 2004-2006? kaka, robinho, adriano, ronaldo, jeninho panembucano (sp?), gilberto, ZeRoberto ect. they were an all star individual collcetion of 11 players gettin nowher then cam Dunga, dropped some players, changed the system, lost the whole flair and entertaining football and played a solid physical style. they improved by alot, wait till coppa america.

thats what england need.

What do you mean wait till Copa America.. they just had it in the summer.

thats what england need.

We don't have any flair to lose. And Gilberto was rarely in that Brazil team it was Emerson. Its only since Dunga got the job that 'Bert has played pretty much every match.

I can't believe the people who Birmingham have approached for the manager's job.

So far they've approached Harry Redknapp, Martin Jol, and Marcello Lippi. MARCELLO FUCKING LIPPI! :blank:

Blues need to realise that they're not that big a club. And top level managers like Jol and Lippi are too good for them, and they'll say 'No' in a heartbeat.

They need to look for less talented managers, and I can think of one who could be perfect for them...You guessed it, McClaren

I can't believe the people who Birmingham have approached for the manager's job.

So far they've approached Harry Redknapp, Martin Jol, and Marcello Lippi. MARCELLO FUCKING LIPPI! :blank:

Blues need to realise that they're not that big a club. And top level managers like Jol and Lippi are too good for them, and they'll say 'No' in a heartbeat.

They need to look for less talented managers, and I can think of one who could be perfect for them...

I hope you're not thinking of Alex Mcleish. He's staying right where he is!

Where did you hear about them approaching all those managers? Most of the speculation like this is usually bull.