Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2007

gaggle64

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how they ask other drivers about Hamilton when they interview them after they retire.

I was impressed with Hamiltons thinking when he crashed and kept his engine running though. The start of this race reminded me of Brazil a few years ago when there was something of a pile up after a rain storm so bad that the race was ended early, leaving Fisichella in a Jordan to win the race. Which was then taken away from him, given back to him, and then taken away again.

That whole thing was nuts. My man of the race was Massa who put in a simply fantastic drive for almost the whole race, don't know what he lost to give away first place to Alonso. Unlucky for Raikkonen with his hydraulic failure and Hamilton with all assorted events coming together to keep him stuck at the back, spitting lap times into the wind. Also kudos to the Red Bulls for pulling through.

1 Lewis Hamilton 70

2 Fernando Alonso 68

3 Felipe Massa 59

4 Kimi Raikkonen 52

This has really thrown the Championship up in the air. What a fantastic season it's been. I think we could look forward to an equally spectacular finale at this rate.

I watched the race with Retro_Link and it was awesome, especially the start. You just saw one car go off and then thought "I bet we'll see another one in a..." and then another car came in. Dunno who it was but I laughed out loud when the guy just clipped that tractors back wheel!

Fair play to Hamilton for having the presence of mind to keep his engine running, but then he and the team made a bit of a dodgy decision to change to the dry tyres so early. Especially since he was allowed to regain the lap he lost under the safety car, only to lose it straight away!

Raikkonen was unlucky with the car failure but being a McLaren fan I didn't care too much!

• 2 weeks later...
So, did anyone else catch the Hungaian qualifying? I think Alonso will be lucky if his boss doesn't eat him alive.
Very funny qualifying!

That took some nerve from Alonso, you could tell he was counting down before he went so he would just leave Lewis out of qualifying (and also wasting a set of tyres)!

Looked like Lewis was livid in the press conference aswell!

Certainly not very sporting, but it adds another twist to the Alonso vs Lewis battle inside McLaren; the bar has been raised to a whole new level!

Dunno what was up with Massa today either, very strange considering Kimi managed a somewhat competetive pace to McLaren!

Kinda hypocritical of Alonso, the thing he made of Schumacher when he parked the car on the last corner of *a track I can't remember*, he does basically the same thing only worse to Hamilton. I'm hardly Hamiltons number one fan, but I'm even less a fan of Alonso, so I hope Hamilton owns Alonso tomorrow.

And wtf was with Massa's car? There was something really wrong there, I didn't get it at all.

Oh and Honda should just use the Super Aguri car, it's their car from last year and it's far superior to their current car.

I wonder what it is about the Hungarian course that's got the Ferraris off kilter? They can't seem to stick it this weekend.
Well it's largely down to the fact the Hungaroring is a high downforce track and the ferrari struggles on such courses. Monaco is the other high downforce track and the ferrari struggled there aswell.

Another factor is that the track is quite a slow winding track with only one real racing line through it. The 2007 ferarri is a longer car than all the others, meaning it finds it harder to get into all the corners, and this will effect it over single lap qualifying!

The advantage over the season however is that its longer design is much kinder to the tyres, giving it better race performance; something the McLarens have struggled with this season..

It was just a bit too cheeky, wasn't it? Not being able to score constructors points does seem a tad harsh though. It's not like Ron was happy about Alonso's little manoeuvre. If the appeal falls flat Alonso is going to get the bollocking of his life.

• 1 month later...
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40651

McLaren loses all constructors' points

Thursday, 13, September, 2007, 18:38

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has disqualified McLaren from the 2007 constructors' championship and imposed the largest fine in motorsport history – but Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso can continue to vie for the drivers' crown.

After nine hours of deliberations at the hearing in Paris, the 26-member World Council panel decided to punish the Woking-based team for breaking the sporting regulations by possessing confidential Ferrari data.

But while the decision to exclude McLaren from the constructors' contest hands that title to Ferrari, McLaren's drivers have escaped a penalty.

Hamilton and Alonso's battle for the world championship will therefore continue unaffected in the remaining four rounds.

“The WMSC has stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructor points in the 2007 FIA Formula One World Championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season," the FIA said in a statement.

“Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM income lost as a result of the points deduction.

“However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team’s drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers’ points."

McLaren will also have to present its 2008 car for examination by the FIA before the start of next season.

“The WMSC will receive a full technical report on the 2008 McLaren car and will take a decision at its December 2007 meeting as to what sanction, if any, will be imposed on the team for the 2008 season,” read the statement.

It's right that the drivers championship wasn't affected!

The season wouldn't have felt right otherwise and I actually think a number of the other drivers would have done something in protest.

I don't really mind what else was imposed upon McLaren, there's obviously enough evidence to find them guilty of something!

Though $100 million! WOAH!!

The question is, with McLaren's 2008 future undecided, will Alonso stick around?!!

Or is it off back to Renault (who have said they'd happily welcome him back), or maybe off to the team who's the highest bidder!

I hope Alonso leaves McLaren. McLaren can then pick up Kubica or someone of similar quality. If Alonso goes to Renault, hopefully they will come back up a bit, and make it a three horse race for once.

The lack of constructors points now will make Hamilton and Alonso go at it hammer and tong too, which will be pretty awesome.

You know who mclaren should go for if Alonso leaves...BUTTON!

God if he had a half decent car he'd be great.

Button will be lucky to get into another team for a while.

He's not all that well regarded amongst teams because of what he did to Williams a couple of years back when he was at Honda (BAR):

Agreed to switch to Williams, then changed his mind when he thought Honda would be the better car to stay with for the future (oh how wrong he was!), and after a lengthy battle he and Honda bought him out of his Williams contract.

There's little trust surrounding the guy and he's only got himself to blame for where he is at the moment and the situation he finds himself in, stuck at Honda!

Button will be lucky to get into another team for a while.

He's not all that well regarded amongst teams because of what he did to Williams a couple of years back when he was at Honda (BAR):

Agreed to switch to Williams, then changed his mind when he thought Honda would be the better car to stay with for the future (oh how wrong he was!), and after a lengthy battle he and Honda bought him out of his Williams contract.

There's little trust surrounding the guy and he's only got himself to blame for where he is at the moment and the situation he finds himself in, stuck at Honda!

Except thats not actualy true. He was a Williams driver, Williams decided to lease him out to Honda so he could get some driving experiance. However it was always in his contract after the 2 years at Honda he would go back to Williams. He decided he didnt want to go back to Williams and bought himself out of his Williams contract.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!