NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ant-Shimmin

Read This, and Pin It On Your Fxing Wall

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_headline=nottingham-is-thefts-capital%26method=full%26objectid=19212359%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

NOTTINGHAM IS THEFTS CAPITAL

By Oonagh Blackman Political Editor 29/05/2007

More Top Stories

HOMES in Nottingham are the most burgled in Britain, insurers revealed yesterday.

Residents there are almost twice as likely to suffer a break-in as the average UK householder.

Leeds is second on the list of shame, followed by Hull and London.

Advertisement

At the other end of the scale, Guildford, Surrey; Swindon, Wilts; and Dundee are the safest areas.

However, home thefts across the country have fallen by nearly 60 per cent since 1995, the British Crime Survey reveals.

And in Nottingham - whose legendary outlaw Robin Hood has been played by film stars such as Errol Flynn - burglaries hit a seven-year low this year.

Police Chief Supt Marcus Beale said: "One burglary is still one too many, but the figures show we are heading in the right direction." Yesterday's statistics were drawn up by insurers Endsleigh from claims made in the past four years.

They show university cities Oxford and Cambridge among the burglary blackspots.

The firm's Stuart Wartalski acknowledged theft rates were falling but warned householders needed to remain vigilant. He said: "There's a range of steps people can take, such as installing burglar alarms, window locks, doubleglazing and motion-sensitive lighting.

"Even simple, cost-effective measures such as plug-in timers for lights and radios when you are out can make a difference in putting off burglars."

WORST 10

1 Nottingham

2 Leeds

3 Hull

4 London

5 Oxford

6 Bristol

7 Reading

8 Manchester

9 Sheffield

10 Cambridge

BEST 10

1 Guildford

2 Swindon

3 Dundee

4 Bath

5 Coventry

6 Brighton

7 Aberdeen

8 Cheltenham

9= Edinburgh

9= Belfast

Granted we aren't in the top ten safest, but we are neither here or there!

Come On Merseyside!

LOL. my first ever live game at anfeild was against Boro and they were singing "dont steal our sterios" i laughed so liverpool are doing good things.

LOL. my first ever live game at anfeild was against Boro and they were singing "dont steal our sterios" i laughed so liverpool are doing good things.

I remember a chant we sang to West Ham Fans a few seasons back

"You've Got Di-Canio, We've got Your Ste-reos"

Manchester at 8...yeah our old house was burgled a long time ago..Nottingham though...

Wow - Belfast in the top 10 safest in the UK. Now that is progress!

Lol my aunt just moved to Hull, she couldn't understand why the houses were so cheap. i will send her a link. that is if her PC hasn't been stolen yet.

home town = 6th best, current residence = 9th worst, place of frequent living = 2nd worst.

woo...?

Yay for Nottingham, went there today on the train. I was going to buy some Warhammer but ended up without. Useless stories are good.

Lol my aunt just moved to Hull, she couldn't understand why the houses were so cheap. i will send her a link. that is if her PC hasn't been stolen yet.

Hull's a nice place, and deffo getting better. They're pouring money into the new developments. I'm sure Mr Dare will agree that it doesn't really deserve its bad reputation..

A few surprises there. Coventry in the best 10? Oxford and Cambridge in the worst?

Hull's a nice place, and deffo getting better. They're pouring money into the new developments. I'm sure Mr Dare will agree that it doesn't really deserve its bad reputation..

Neither does Liverpool but their you go

For population/number of crimes committed, Batford, a little village just outside my town (it's more of a suburb now) is something like 12th in the country. :o

It's full of chavs...

A few surprises there. Coventry in the best 10? Oxford and Cambridge in the worst?

Despite the uni, there are some rough estates in Oxford.

yay Glasgow on neither list although I'm sure we're still top of the Murder lists :(

Despite the uni, there are some rough estates in Oxford.

I know, but it's just not somewhere you associate with crime is it? Dreaming spires and all that. Whereas places like Nottingham, Hull, Manchester etc. are absolute fucking shitholes in every possible way and you fully expect them to be in lists like this.

I know, but it's just not somewhere you associate with crime is it? Dreaming spires and all that. Whereas places like Nottingham, Hull, Manchester etc. are absolute fucking shitholes in every possible way and you fully expect them to be in lists like this.

Suppose so. Oxford is too nice to be in a "worst" list.

strangely enough, the big uni cities I've been to can all say "we have seriously dodgy areas!". I don't know why it is - my mate at Portsmouth Uni, who studies psychology, reckons it's something to do with the rapid population turnover aggrovating the permenant inhabitants. Or something.

Haha, you forgot Liverpool on your list.

C'mon the Edinburgh!

Even though I don't actually come from Edinburgh.

But it's close enough!

Sign in to follow this