NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Soul Calibur Legends

I generally love Soul Calibur.

An adventure game seems like fun.

I still think this looks ok, so they've copied the models and characters from Soul Calibur II on the 'Cube, but that loked great so I'm not complaining!

This is looking better and better! Hope turns out as good as they want us to believe. The prospect of an Soul Calibur adventure is too good to resist. After SC1, 2 and 3, you start to see the limitations of telling a story through a 1-on-1 beat'em up.

It might not look as good as SC4, but it's looking mighty fine nonetheless! It's silly to compare graphics of a 1-on-1 beat'em up on graphical powerhouses like 360 and PS3 to an adventuregame (with larger worls and more enemies on-screen) on the more graphically humble Wii. The Legend-screens look great! :smile:

And I don't think they have the casual gamer in mind when developing this game. If this is casual gaming, I wonder what is hardcore. :wtf:

Fingers crossed then.

Looks rather dull and bland at the moment to me! The levels have a really drab colour to them!

Shame, the idea has great potential, but I'm not seeing it with each update we get!

Theres no lightning effects on this game... thats what making it look so dull and bland.

We need videos too! :heh:

Looks nice enough for me. I hope Talim is in this, she was my best character on Soul Calibur 2.

Theres no lightning effects on this game... thats what making it look so dull and bland.
That's very true! There's no shadows or anything yet, which help add life to a game!

I think this looks awesome, I can't believe people aren't more hyped for it, I reckon it may well be like Ninja Gaiden just with SC!

1UP Preview

A character roster in an action game can be a tricky thing. Come at it from the perspective of a ground-up game like Ninja Gaiden or God of War and adding even a second playable character would be gigantic news. But from the perspective of a fighting series making the transition to an action game, everyone wants to play as their favorite fighter -- a lesson Namco presumably learned after 2005's Death by Degrees.

With Soul Calibur Legends, the developers are striking a balance between these two extremes. Company representatives won't commit to an official number yet, but they tell us it'll be larger than we've seen but smaller than in a typical Soul Calibur fighting game, so we're guessing somewhere in the six to 10 range. At E3, we had a chance to try out the first two of those, Siegfried and Mitsurugi, and in a recent updated look at the game, we were able to go hands-on with a third playable character, Taki, as well as check up on the title's progress over the past couple months.

In contrast to the slower Siegfried and Mitsurugi, Taki's quick thrusts make a pretty significant difference in how you approach the game. Apart from determining how quickly you swing the Wii Remote, her attacks make her ideally suited for dodging and hopping around the environment. When playing, we found ourselves relying a lot on her aerial attacks, in part because they seemed to connect consistently with easy lock-on strikes, but also because they enabled us to be evasive and ready to attack at the same time.

In the version we played, Taki's normal attacks were pretty weak compared Siegfried and Mitsurugi's, which Namco Bandai representatives tell us is being tweaked, so we spent more time trying to dance around enemies before running in for quick pokes rather than taking them on head-on, which seemed to work pretty well since most of the enemies we faced didn't move terribly fast. But when it came time to face the game's larger enemies, Siegfried became the clear choice for the amount of damage he could inflict.

Given that Legends allows you to keep two characters in your party at any given time -- so you can switch between them at will -- it seems likely that players will want to choose one bigger character like a Siegfried and one smaller fighter like a Taki to be prepared for the different encounters they'll come across. There's no word yet on how your character selections will play into the story scenes, but hopefully there will be some variety there to encourage players to test out less 'safe' combinations, especially after the first playthrough.

We took Taki through a new area of the game which features a stone castle leading out into rolling brown hills in a scene that wouldn't be out of place in Braveheart. As you can see in the latest screenshots, this area brings along a nice variety of enemies, including everything from a flying dragon to a ninja that looks like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, and it felt much larger and more open than the corridors we had checked out previously.

Visually, the game has made some nice improvements since E3, most notably in the framerate and overall texture detail. Framerate is key for a game like this, since you want to see your character react on the screen as soon as you swing the controller, and the game seems pretty smooth most of the time. When the environments open up and you can see into the distance, we witnessed a few hiccups, but nothing that seems like it can't be fixed prior to release.

Detail-wise, Legends is one of those games where it you catch it at the right angle, it's gorgeous, while if you take a look at the wrong time, it looks like a lot of other games out there -- but it's certainly improved from E3 and we can say with confidence that overall it is one of the best looking games on Wii.

But ultimately, details like that aren't going to matter much. With Legends, it's going to be your take on the motion controls that determines whether you like the game, and -- if flicking your wrists to attack in a brawler sounds like something you might like -- chances are you're going to enjoy the implementation here, while the game doesn't look like it'll convert those who would rather play Zelda with the GameCube controller.

New Screenshots.

Surprisingly positive for a 1Up review. Looks like this game is going in the right direction.

I personally think this game looks like trash.

This is a game that could really do with a delay.

DELAY THIS GAME!

I personally think this game looks like trash.

This is a game that could really do with a delay.

DELAY THIS GAME!

Very much agree! Looks like the Soul Calibre version of Jedi Power Battles! (which I actually enjoyed, but only because it's Star Wars!) It's lacking all round, gameplay, level design, visuals!

I'm more interested in the soundtrack...But I agree with the delay, don't want this to be a weak link in the Soul Calibur chain.

looks perfectly fine by my standards, who gives a shit about all these fancy graphics. seriously if your all so hyped up on graphics you, sould go and buy a PUSS 3 (phonejacker ftw)

just being able to mimic sword slashes on the Wii is enough to tickle my fancy, and its a good cheer up after hearing project hammer was cancelled

looks perfectly fine by my standards, who gives a shit about all these fancy graphics. seriously if your all so hyped up on graphics you, sould go and buy a PUSS 3 (phonejacker ftw)

just being able to mimic sword slashes on the Wii is enough to tickle my fancy, and its a good cheer up after hearing project hammer was cancelled

Its not just the graphics that are sub-par. Unforunately, it looks like everything else is crap too.

hm it looks like my kind of game I love these co op games... Just zoom out the camera and it should be fine(although i dont know how thw controls are) the graphics are fine in my mind. Nothing special but they do the job.

For me it still looks really fat... no lightning at all.

I really dont understand the splitscreen co-op.. its weird and its going to reduce the game to 30fps.

Just like mcj metroid said.. Just zoom the camera alittle and reduce the distance of view.

But first.. lightning please!! Cause it does look good in motion, but flat!

I disagree. Though the Wii surely has inferior technical capabilities compared with the 360 and PS3 that doesn't mean Wii games have to suffer from poor presentation. Games are also reviewed on its final presentation and quiet franklysome Gamecube launch games look a lot better than most Wii games so far...That shouldn't be. Even though the Wii is cheaper than the other two consoles its still quiet a fair wod of cash - almost £200 - so it makes me wonder what is it that makes the Wii cost this much?

Just read it and was like "I NEED TO GET THIS GAME NOW" :heh:

Hope he's good in it. I <3 Lloyd.

Taking a closer look, he looks far to old :(

Comparing it to Soul Calibur 2 which I've been playing alot lately (Damn you weapons master mode) The game is lacking well, a lot of shineyness. SC2 was very bright a vibrant but this seems to lack some of that. BUT SINCE IT HAS FREAKING ADULT LLOYD IN IT I'LL SHUT MY MOUTH.

Wait a second.

Tales of Symphonia Character in the Soul Calibur universe?

Fuck off Namco, seriously. Theres fan service and theres blantent retardism. This game looks generic as it is, i guess they thought "Shit, we need something to actually make people buy this game!"