NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Soul Calibur Legends

That's a good thing I'n my book. Traditional fighters would suck on Wii. This looks awesome though.

That's a good thing I'n my book. Traditional fighters would suck on Wii. This looks awesome though.

Thats not true. It depends on the way in which the Wii is utilised. I will probably now miss out on SC4 after missing out on SC3.:nono:

Mortal Kombat Wii is looking generally looking positive isn't it?

Also, I don't really see how everyone can say Soul Calibur Legends looks great, when all we've seen are a couple of concept arts; which nearly always look good no matter what the game!

I love the fact the series has a good storyline, unlike may fighters.

I like the idea of a 3rd person game. Fighters get boring after a while.

Setsuka FTW!

Mortal Kombat? Haha. Every installation in the Mortal Kombat series has been shit. There is a huge difference between Soul Calibur and MK. With a regular controller, you press a button, and you know what is going to happen, as soon as you start translating complex combos to gestures, things get fucked up. I just can't see myself playing traditional fighters on Wii.

If they rebuild the entire way 2d fighters work around the system they could work. Also it's a bit far to say every MK game is "shit", they're a bit different from the norm and obviously not Street Fighter 3 level in terms of skill depth for the hardcore, but most of the recent games have been pretty competent fighters and packed full of content.

Mortal Kombat? Haha. Every installation in the Mortal Kombat series has been shit. There is a huge difference between Soul Calibur and MK. With a regular controller, you press a button, and you know what is going to happen, as soon as you start translating complex combos to gestures, things get fucked up. I just can't see myself playing traditional fighters on Wii.
Why are you laughing? Sure there's a huge difference in quality between MK and SC; but MK Wii is proving that traditional fighter can work well on Wii.

Oh and MK3 was a fantastic game!

Who says that you have to do complex combo's using motion control. If a button press works better for that particular action then by all means use it.

However, I find motion controls would work better by complementing the existing formula, rather than creating a sheme of play focusing on motion gestures. For example manuvers such as dodging would work well with a quick flick on say the nunchuck, or even take guard impacting from soul calibur a quick flick of the wiimote in anticipation of the oncoming attack would also work well.

Or even take throwing, by perfoming a quick throwing motion while next to the opponent in conjuction with a button press (Z and B) would make a good substitute to the original mechanic.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head but you can see how Wiimote controls don't have to infringe on the accustomed way of doing things but rather create a complimentary alternative.

I play fighters a hell of a lot, and I don't think it could work. either way, we'll just have to wait and see. MK doesn't count for me, because what I look for in a fighter is skill depth in the fighting system and not much else.

I suppose Demuwan has a good point, but theres also the issue of being able to pull off the motion everytime, where a button press would be much more accurate.

Classic controller?

Anyway, I don't think thats the reason it isn't on the Wii. Games like SC4 (which will never be seen on the Wii) are the reason I got my Xbox :p

Why would anyone use a standard controller for a fighting game though, it sucks pretty hard? And anyway, I don't use standard controllers cause they suck for fighters too. Arcade Sticks are the way to go.

I suppose Demuwan has a good point, but theres also the issue of being able to pull off the motion everytime, where a button press would be much more accurate.

Thanks and on the issue of accuracy I think if developed correctly this shouldn't even be a problem. : peace:

Wash your mouth out. MK is awesome.

Traditional fighters are shit, I don't give a damn if Wii can't do them properly. The genre doesn't remotely represent fighting at all. Wii could give birth to a whole new brand of fighter that uses motion controls properly, i.e. uses them as a replacement for analog sticks, not button inputs.

Right....represent real fighting...you do realise that it's a videogame and it's not supposed to represent real fighting, and if it represented real fighting, most people would go down in one swing.

Calling basically the most skill based game genre of all time "shit" is real intelligent

By your logic, because Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Halo etc, don't represent real life, it makes them obsolete?

And MK is shit, because there's barely any skill involved, at least, not as much as most other fighters; and the animations are also shit in pretty much every iteration...

Traditional fighters are shit, I don't give a damn if Wii can't do them properly. The genre doesn't remotely represent fighting at all. Wii could give birth to a whole new brand of fighter that uses motion controls properly, i.e. uses them as a replacement for analog sticks, not button inputs.

Im with speed freak... Fighthing games could be alot better.. I mean ur not fighing in the game... and how pushing back back up down up down xyz ect makes u do something is amazing to me... I dont see how if u were fighting in real life that would ever be the case... People good at fighting games are only good cause they got no life and spend way to much time memorizing button combos.. i dont got time for that... that being said i wont by any fighting games anytime soon if they take "skill" to play.. yeah skill says that a noob will come and button mash and make u :cry: cause u spent all that time learning a super hard combo and u still get owned...:-p

Come on guys, you all know The Bard's opinion is ultimate. Resistance is futile.

I for one do find fighters generally because they're a bit shit. I like Soul Calibur because it requires no skill.

I think there is huge potential for a truly realistic fighter on the Wii. I mean stuff like SC and Tekken are great but the whole Beat Em Up Genre is dying and selling worse and worse. I don't honestly think Nintendo need Soul Caliber 4, and much prefer Legends then SC4. It would never be able to make 100% good use of the controls and I think benefits alot more from HD graphics.

To be I think the Wii suits a gritty, street fighting type game. Like, people doing street fights in dark settings, not using stupid weapons and magic powers, but gritty punches and kicks. It's hard to say what I mean but something that's about real fighting. I think someone like Rockstar could pull of a game like this and make it a massive success.

Or perhaps Streets of Rage Wii, now imagine that in 3d with Wii controls :P. Would be pure genius.

Come on guys, you all know The Bard's opinion is ultimate. Resistance is futile.

I for one do find fighters generally because they're a bit shit. I like Soul Calibur because it requires no skill.

Soul Calibur no skill!!!! Seriously what have you been smoking I would love to know.

Right....represent real fighting...you do realise that it's a videogame and it's not supposed to represent real fighting, and if it represented real fighting, most people would go down in one swing.

Calling basically the most skill based game genre of all time "shit" is real intelligent

By your logic, because Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Halo etc, don't represent real life, it makes them obsolete?

And MK is shit, because there's barely any skill involved, at least, not as much as most other fighters; and the animations are also shit in pretty much every iteration...

You know what, I agree with Bard on this one!

Im with speed freak... Fighthing games could be alot better.. I mean ur not fighing in the game... and how pushing back back up down up down xyz ect makes u do something is amazing to me... I dont see how if u were fighting in real life that would ever be the case... People good at fighting games are only good cause they got no life and spend way to much time memorizing button combos.. i dont got time for that... that being said i wont by any fighting games anytime soon if they take "skill" to play.. yeah skill says that a noob will come and button mash and make u :cry: cause u spent all that time learning a super hard combo and u still get owned...:-p

Im sorry but the the majority of this post is just plain stupid.

Clearly hasn't heard of punctuation.

Right, because this clearly isn't a forum; if someone says something I don't agree with, do you want me to say "Woah cool! I totally agree with what you said! Let's go home and masturbate!?" fuck off, if I don't agree with someone, I'm going to do my darndest to prove them wrong.

Clearly hasn't heard of punctuation.

Right, because this clearly isn't a forum; if someone says something I don't agree with, do you want me to say "Woah cool! I totally agree with what you said! Let's go home and masturbate!?" fuck off, if I don't agree with someone, I'm going to do my darndest to prove them wrong.

Has religion taught us nothing? Sure, you can express your opinion, but it's just that, opinion. You act like you're right (e.g. "RPG's suck on Wii" "Excite Truck is crap" "Fighters are wank on Wii"), proving someone wrong is only possible when there's proper fact involved. Also, what I said wasn't meant be perceived with the slightest serious tone, lighten up.

Has religion taught us nothing? Sure, you can express your opinion, but it's just that, opinion. You act like you're right (e.g. "RPG's suck on Wii" "Excite Truck is crap" "Fighters are wank on Wii"), proving someone wrong is only possible when there's proper fact involved. Also, what I said wasn't meant be perceived with the slightest serious tone, lighten up.
I agree, it's too blunt and sometimes it does't make sense, other than rooting for X360 in detriment of the others.

Too strict and not open to discussion; J-RPG's don't make sense on X360 market-wise for example, they're only bought/requested/funded support, that's like rooting for something unnatural, even while I admit as a J-RPG fan I'd buy those games if I had the platform... but I really don't feel like they make sense in there, and their sales in japan are going to suffer with that. Saying otherwise is rooting too much for that platform specially when you have others more well positioned to receive them.

On Wii it actually makes sense because it sells like hotcakes on the primary market (and that is Japan).

It's not like there's gonna be a Wii Sports RPG on Wii, or like you need a lot of buttons for a regular RPG... so yeah, I root for my platform instead of rooting for a American console who sells pretty much nothing in Japan.

But this is not the tales of symphonia thread where I read that comment I'm kinda responding to here.

For the other stuff I don't care, "fighting doesn't work with the wiimote", well I think it can work, but it needs a lot of work to make it right. That's certainly better than saying it's crap from the start though.

That said Super Smash Bros is being made only with GC controller in mind, is that bad for fighters too?

Couldn't Smash work with the wiimote? I think it could but they'd have to calibrate it a lot in order to make it equal to the main control scheme so they chose to focus on it instead of spreading themselves too thin.

Soul Calibur could work just as well, with a GC controller if they don't want to implement the wiimote.

And Excite truck... it's cool if you like arcade racers, IMO; then again I also don't care about review scores and I feel that games like excite truck suffer from them.

Traditional fighters would suck on Wii.

Please explain why. From my view, the controller wouldn't be a problem - look at how we were moaning about Football games before Strikers came along.

You might have been, I wasn't, I don't like football games.

I feel as if I need to explain myself.

Eg. Wii is clearly an amazing console for FPS' because of the control and it also does lots of things well that other consoles don't, but RPG's generally rely on Graphics more than any other genre in my opinion, that's the only reason I don't think Wii is as good a console for RPG's as say 360, other than that, there's no real reason.

Excite Truck to me is crap because there's barely anything to do. I got gold on almost every track in 2 days. There really wasn't much to do, the tracks were linear, there was only one real kind of trick you could do (the spins) and I like to think that we're past the times where the only reason you have to replay a game is to improve your high scores. Other than that I thought the driving mechanics were brilliantly suited to the Wii controller...but that's not all that makes a good game. Imagine RE4 finishing right after the Village scene...would you call it a good game if that was the case? That's how I feel about Excite Truck.

Lastly: I play a fuckload of Fighters, and very competitively too...I just spent $200 on a fucking arade stick cause I didn't like the controls on a regular pad...it's something I obsess about, and trust me, there is no real way I can see a good, competitive, skill based fighter working with solely motion controls. The things that Demuwan suggested were great though, they might work well.

There you are.

You might have been, I wasn't, I don't like football games.

I feel as if I need to explain myself.

Eg. Wii is clearly an amazing console for FPS' because of the control and it also does lots of things well that other consoles don't, but RPG's generally rely on Graphics more than any other genre in my opinion, that's the only reason I don't think Wii is as good a console for RPG's as say 360, other than that, there's no real reason.

Can't really agree on that when both PSone and PS2 the weakest consoles of their generation got so many support, same for DS now actually. Because of their markets and honestly, if PS2 was my main platform I'd have been very happy when it comes to RPG's this last gen. It wasn't though, because GC still had more games of other genres that I wanted more, still I can't blame companies for making RPG's for PS2 back then; and GC sold more in Japan than X360 does.

But power was never the issue, IMO, neither would I care the graphics are enough for me, and Wii is capable of so much more.

I know you're weak to that, so i'm going to step on it, but best RPG gaming era for me is still 16 bits, I'm perfectly fine with graphics like Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, what made them so great only graphics? that's the outdated part now, but they're gems on their own right.

Excite Truck to me is crap because there's barely anything to do. I got gold on almost every track in 2 days. There really wasn't much to do, the tracks were linear, there was only one real kind of trick you could do (the spins) and I like to think that we're past the times where the only reason you have to replay a game is to improve your high scores. Other than that I thought the driving mechanics were brilliantly suited to the Wii controller...but that's not all that makes a good game. Imagine RE4 finishing right after the Village scene...would you call it a good game if that was the case? That's how I feel about Excite Truck.
Just to point something... you can easily finish RE4 in two days, it's not like it's a massive game.

two days is longer than the village scene, that's like two hours.

Still I can see where you're going, excite truck was a good launch race title, but three years from now I hope it's just a launch title with limited options compared to other offerings (or a sequel with online and such). Still... good game.

Lastly: I play a fuckload of Fighters, and very competitively too...I just spent $200 on a fucking arade stick cause I didn't like the controls on a regular pad...it's something I obsess about, and trust me, there is no real way I can see a good, competitive, skill based fighter working with solely motion controls. The things that Demuwan suggested were great though, they might work well.

There you are.

fair enough, I won't argue with that other than I feel it can be done, still it won't appeal to you, maybe, but it can work.

You also appreciate the option of being able to play with a arcade stick instead of using the standard controller, so why not doing a game who supports, classic, arcade stick and wiimote? The more options the better even if you consider the wiimote (or even the standard classic controller of another console) crap for it; it can still work on the console.

To be honest I preferred classic beat them ups on Sega consoles with 6 face buttons but I might just be getting old. (never appreciated the dual trigger configuration in fighters).