NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Soul Calibur Legends

I see they improved Ivy's costume a fair bit :D

Improved and improved... She is showing more booty, but she looks like a tied sausage.

4 out of 5 Blahs.

th_46477_Soul_Calibur_Legends_F967c_122_1063lo.jpgth_46483_Soul_Calibur_Legends_F967d_122_1181lo.jpgth_46484_Soul_Calibur_Legends_F967e_122_463lo.jpg

More pictures and Co-op pics too! (btw.. huge astharoth is HUGE!!!)

Theres Co-op in this game!? Where does it say that?

Second Page... somewhere!

And both pics have 2 characters on it (Taki and Ivy, Mitsurugi and Siegfried)

OK, as a major Soul Calibur, that owns all 4 of the games so far, I am in a position to ask who is that guy right??? He looks like he could be Raphael and Ivy's offspring!!!

OK, as a major Soul Calibur, that owns all 4 of the games so far, I am in a position to ask who is that guy right??? He looks like he could be Raphael and Ivy's offspring!!!
Must be that Iska boy mentioned before:

The game's main character appears to be newcomer Iska, a mysterious 16-year-old boy of imperial blood who sets out on travel with Siegfried Schtauffen. Siegfried is, of course, a veteran of the Soul Calibur series, and he's joined in Legends by Taki and Mitsurugi.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/796/796073p1.html

Must be that Iska boy mentioned before:

Oh right, of course, cheers for that.

More news from Nintendo Power...

Soul Calibur Legends

- Veterans from Soul Calibur series are working on this project

- vertical/horizontal slashing(+stabs) + parry(Impact Guard) and power ups(Soul Charge)

- controls work well according to NP

- 16:9, 60 fps is development team goal. They will do their best to make the game look as great as possible.

- more characters to be unveiled

- Direction of slashes (left-right, right-left, top-bottom, bottom-top) will matter

Seems great! I'm glad this game will capture the feeling of the Soul Calibur series.:)

What I like about Soul Calibur is the fact that skill plays a very important factor in the matches.

I'm not talking about the "do memorized combos to win" skill, I'm talking about the fact that dodging and predicting moves is everything in this kind of game, unlike other games where a single blow may trigger a lengthy combo.

In Soul Calibur, playing mind games with the opponent is crucial to land as many blows as possible. Most of the "combos" in the game can be escaped from any way.

My friend and I would ocasionally play SC 2 (and later 3). He is very good at mind games and beat me nearly every time while feigning grabs, kicks and the Affondo Fendante (a deadly Raphael move). I only started winning when he was getting tired of playing and stopped with the mind games.

[/offtopic]

Anyhow, I just hope that this game gets done properly and has a good difficulty, as well as having a good character selection (I can't wait to see if I'll be able to play as Voldo).

For all of those worried that the game wont look good due to the lack of power on the Wii then behold!

sc4.jpg

sc7.jpg

sc10.jpg

sc8.jpg

sc9.jpg

sc5.jpg

sc6.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

Some great new info!

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7947/1/Soul_Calibur_Legends,_Final_Fantasy,_Okami,_Ghost_Squad_and_More...

This month's edition of Nintendo Power is packed to the brim with information on forthcoming Nintendo and third party Wii/DS projects, including a look at Soul Calibur Legends, Tomb Raider: Anniversary edition and Carnival Games.

Soul Calibur Legends

• Soul Calibur Legends development started in early 2006, the game wasn’t originally meant to be exclusive to the Wii, game is being developed by a dream team of developers from Tekken, Ace Combat and Soul Calibur series.

• The game isn’t just your ordinary “hack-n-slash” game where games usually wave the controller around without any sense of timing, game has an Egyptian ruin as part of the worlds included in the game, bosses will pretty much fill the entire screen…

• Story: A 16th-century empire is on the brink of destruction and involves Siegfried with his gradual transformation into the “maleficent Nightmare”

• the game picks up right after Soul Blade…game will support 480p, 16:9 and 60fps, wanting to take advantage of the Wii hardware (graphically).

I really like the fact it wasn't originally meant to be Wii exclusive, somehow gives it more credibility!

Darn, it doesn't look better than Ninja Gaiden...

Hopefully it will still play awesomely though.

So do I get this right... this time there will be coop and team vs. computer modes too? Will there be also a team vs. team mode?

Will four persons be able to play this game at the same time and if so... even in coop?

Big preview from 1up.

Soul Calibur Legends is not Soul Calibur IV. There's nothing resembling a fighter, it's not online, and you can't even use a joystick! This is a game for Soul Calibur fans first, and fighting game fans second, which means it's a traditional action game focused on story and characters rather than move lists. And on Wii, it promises to be more than just a simple beat-'em-up.

In the jump between the original Soul Edge and the first Soul Calibur, we saw German knight Siegfried Schtauffen had obtained the Soul Edge and become Nightmare -- though exactly how this happened is somewhat of a grey area outside of in-game ending screens, and Soul Calibur pushed on without much backstory. Legends' story focuses on Siegfried's personal quest to find the Soul Edge, which will inevitably lead him to the dark side. Needless to say, for the SC fans interested in the series' lore on top of its intense fighting, Legends will probably be quite a boon.

Legends looks like a "Soul Calibur all-stars" action game, but not every fighter from the series will be playable -- this is a prequel, after all. For the record, the characters that have been shown so far are Siegfried, Ivy, Mitsurugi, Taki and a new character, Isuka -- a teenage boy who travels with Siegfried in a "Lone Wolf and Cub" sort of set-up. You choose two heroes to play with, and because of everyone's different weapons and fighting styles, you can go with whoever you feel comfortable with and instantly "tag out" between them during the game.

With the Wii Remote, Namco hopes you'll be more engaged in the Soul Calibur universe; the "vibe" of the series, if you will. Legends retains the horizontal and vertical slashing of the traditional games, which you control according to how you swing the remote. The game's director, Jin Okubo explains further: "Our focus in creating this game was mainly on the sword-swinging aspect. Since it's on the Wii and uses the Wii Remote, we're really focusing on swinging the remote like a sword and the player developing his or her skills as a swordsman." In other words, while you won't be able to kick like in the fighting games, you will be able to perform some flashy-yet-powerful techniques to keep enemies at bay, including action game-standard "charge moves." Guard breaks, another SC element, will factor into Legends as well.

At a press event recently, Namco showed us one level of an early version -- a mazelike Egyptian tomb -- without any allusions to the rest of the game's progression. Could there be towns with NPCs, or could it be a simple level-to-level progression like Chronicles of the Sword?

As for the level we saw, the tomb was a rather typical run-and-slash affair, with a minimum of puzzles; in fact, puzzles are not meant to be minutes-long deterrents to your progress. Instead, the action itself is meant to jog your brain. "Players will really have to think about how they are going to approach their enemies and in what order, and what attacks work best, so in that respect we feel that it earns the 'adventure' part of 'action-adventure,'" says Okubo. "Although there will be puzzles and the player will have to use his or her head, that's not specifically what we wanted to focus on. We don't anticipate the players coming across any particular areas where they'll get hung up for any period of time."

The level ended in a boss fight against Ammon: a floating, fire-breathing mummy casket that didn't seem to pose too much of a threat. The tomb level must be one of the first ones. Namco promises larger bosses with more impressive fights -- including a giant Astaroth seen in the a recent Famitsu screenshot (eighth gameplay screenshot on the page).

So, Legends is mostly a single-player adventure, but there are options if you have a friend around. "Party" mode is a two-player cooperative game, with two players slashing away in what appear to be selectable levels rather than a predetermined quest. We didn't see much of this mode, but it does run in vertical split-screen with a slightly reduced framerate (so far). The co-op level we saw was different than the tomb one; it's an outdoor scene with a vaguely feudal "Onimusha" look to it.

Namco isn't set on co-op-only multiplayer, but the competitive parts still won't be any closer to the game's arcade brethren. "When we say 'competitive,' it's not necessarily one-on-one all the time," says Okubo. "Sometimes it's two players competing at the same time to reach a certain goal and seeing who, for example, can defeat the most enemies in a certain amount of time, or who can defeat a certain boss within a time limit."

But if you're a Soul Calibur pro and know the nuances of the fighting games, you may have some useful knowledge. "One of the aspects of the previous Soul Calibur titles that was very important was being aware of the stage you were fighting on, what the shape of it was, and what was in the environment and using that to your advantage," Okubo says. "Players who are very good at that may find they have an advantage in Soul Calibur Legends' competitive play, because the stages do come in different shapes and sizes."

There is one area that Legends definitely needs some work on though: the eye candy. While the game runs at 60 frames per second, the graphical detail seems to be far from pushing the Wii's capabilities to the limit. And the tomb level looked pretty sparse; enemies weren't exactly crawling all over and dropping from ceiling doors or anything. They just... appeared. You defeat them all, run a little bit more through the level, and fight another small group. Rinse and repeat until the boss. Hopefully Namco will have some time to spice up those interiors before the game's release.

It's clear SCL is not exactly a glorified Edge Master mode or Chronicles of the Sword. It's much closer to being a Soul Calibur version of Tekken's Devil Within: a straightforward action game with a story based on one of the series' central characters. We have a hunch that it may last longer than anything in Tekken, though.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/800/800289p1.html

Eyes-on Soulcalibur Legends

We couldn't play it, but hey...it looks like it could be cool.

If you include the series' origin in the arcade known as Soul Edge, Soulcalibur is more than a decade old. The franchise has stayed within its original formula over the years: as a one-on-one weapon-based fighting game, but later this year Namco Bandai will be spinning off the series into a more action adventure design on the Nintendo Wii. Soulcalibur Legends takes the universe, the characters, and the weapons established in the fighting design and branches it out into an evolving storyline that follows one of the more popular combatants: Siegfried.

Namco Bandai had an early in-progress version of Soulcalibur Legends on hand at its pre-E3 event a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, due to the game's evolving development status at the time of our demonstration, Namco Bandai representatives kept this early experience a hands-off affair. So much of what we have to go on is simply through the magic of keen observation.

The easiest thing to see is, obviously, the visuals, and Soulcalibur Legends is at least keeping up with the series' legacy of absolutely gorgeous graphics running at a smooth framerate. The Wii game did tend to jostle between 60 and 30 on occasion but mostly held onto its silky 60 frames per second rate, all the while showing off its beauty in progressive scan and wide-screen. Textures looked very detailed with nice lighting effects going on while weapons clashed on-screen, and character models animated with the same quick motion and fluidity of the Soulcalibur fighting games.

It's clear that the game's putting most of its design attention on pure action as all of the emphasis was on swinging the Wii Remote around like a sword. Slashes and thrusts were recognized by the game, as were special moves that used sensors in both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk. Maneuvering around was clearly placed on the analog stick, with quick sidesteps activated by a shove left or right on the nunchuk. Levels jam packed with enemies to hack and slash at, and we counted easily more than a half dozen on-screen enemies at any given time.

To keep the camera focused on specific enemies players had the ability to lock the view onto characters. Most of the time in the demo the camera stayed strictly behind your on-screen persona, giving a bit of space so that you can see when someone's sneaking up on you. Since we didn't actually get a chance to actually hold the controllers during the demo, it's difficult to gauge how successful these controls really are, but they certainly looked fun.

It appears that there will also be puzzle-like elements within the dungeon-wandering experience. In several points in the adventure, progress was halted by walls of fire, and the only way to pass beyond them was to perform a special sword move that would blow out the flames. Once the fire's extinguished, the path opens up to progress deeper into the stage.

Namco Bandai gave us a little taste of the game's multiplayer portion where two players can choose to cooperate with or compete against each other. These modes took place in a split-screen so that each player had the same view behind their character. Players could work together to wipe out the mobs of enemy soldiers, or attack each other in the same fashion.

Soulcalibur Legends is being prepped for a Winter release in the US, and you can bet that we'll have more on the game as it progresses deeper in its development cycle.

Video Interview

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/827/827211/vids_1.html

I'm not too impressed at all thus far... I'll keep waiting to see how it progresses though!

From the images, it seems that they're pushing the envolope for the third parties to follow, which is promising as Namco look like they are taking the Wii seriously. As a huge Soul Calibur fan, I can see myself just picking it up for the fact it's Soul Calibur (which isn't neccessarily good), but I've got a close eye on this and I hope it unfolds nicely I do see huge potential in this.

Soul Calibur director explains new direction

Jin Okubo talks Soul Calibur Legends' Wii control system

As reported back in May, Soul Calibur is punching its way to Wii in a new adventure-based game dubbed Soul Calibur Legends. Many thought the game was being toned down with the new 'adventure game' focus but Namco's making the game as brutal as ever by placing an emphasis on weapon-based combat that uses the Wii Remote.

Speaking exclusively to CVG, director Jin Okubo told us, "Many people have already experienced the sword play and action of Soul Calibur, but we really wanted to expand its potential - and that's why we decided to go in a new direction. We'd like to make Legends appeal even to people who have never played a game in the Soul Calibur series."

So how can we expect the Remote to be used? "By swinging the Wii Remote as players please, in-game characters will perform the exact sword actions that players are thinking of," Okubo added. "The Nunchuk is mainly used for body movement, but by shaking the Nunchuk it's also possible to block incoming attacks, evade dangerous situations, and to perform other unique moves. And there are various moves that can only be pulled off by combining Nunchuk and Wii Remote actions."

Look out for the full interview in the coming days where Okubo talks further on the control system, the characters we'll be seeing, the game's new direction and game modes other than adventure. We'll also have a batch of new and exclusive screens too!

Source: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167127

Artwork:

32.jpg

31.jpg

30.jpg

Source: http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=12085

Too many good games coming....god help me...

I love Soul Calibur so this is another must-buy to add to the forever growing list of Wii games coming out!