NEurope
Slaggis

Sleep Deprevation

I just found out teenagers are meant to get at least 9 hours of sleep a night to learn and basically just function!

I usually manage about 6-7 hours a night. I always look like i have 2 black eyes, but i can still learn and function!

How do they expect teenagers to get that much sleep a night?

I just found out teenagers are meant to get at least 9 hours of sleep a night to learn and basically just function!

I usually manage about 6-7 hours a night. I always look like i have 2 black eyes, but i can still learn and function!

How do they expect teenagers to get that much sleep a night?

I sleep about 8-9 hours normally on a school day but on weekends it seems to be less(staying up)

But for me this week(been more tired than usual) is that i've gotten smarter and figure out things faster,as seen in maths :heh:

I always try to get 7 hours as a minimum. If you want to get more it's not exactly difficult. I mean, 9 hours in the equivilent of going to bed at 11 and getting up at 8 or going to bed at midnight and getting up at 9. Or if, like me, you've got nothing better to do with your life, you could go to bed at 2 and get up at 11 etc. and just waste your day in bed.

so if i could get 8 hours sleep, I might do better in my GCSE's? (thats the most i can possible get because of 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps lol)

And the fact over the past month, i've had 2 engineering portfolio's to finish, and 2 hour english essay 4 times a week :-(

51339 15 4 73|-| \/\/33|<!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111ONE

(Sleep is for the weak, yeees?)

I get around 5-6 hrs tops on weekdays. It's not good, and for months it's been something I've tried to sort out.

With that amount of sleep on weekdays, my routine is to drink a cup of coffee when I wake (9am), then have another cup of coffee or a can of Red Bull at about 11am (20min break).

Then at some stage in the afternoon I'll repeat that again just to get me through the day.

When you do a Uni course that involves just coursework and no exams you really need to know how to manage your time.

Not sure I could keep my current ways for another two years or I'll be totally burnt out. Lack of sleep is also having an effect on me physically, with my skin complection looking really pale, and also lack of energy around late afternoon.

I get around 5-6 hrs tops on weekdays. It's not good, and for months it's been something I've tried to sort out.

With that amount of sleep on weekdays, my routine is to drink a cup of coffee when I wake (9am), then have another cup of coffee or a can of Red Bull at about 11am (20min break).

Then at some stage in the afternoon I'll repeat that again just to get me through the day.

When you do a Uni course that involves just coursework and no exams you really need to know how to manage your time.

Not sure I could keep my current ways for another two years or I'll be totally burnt out. Lack of sleep is also having an effect on me physically, with my skin complection looking really pale, and also lack of energy around late afternoon.

Guess it's sort of the same for me (though I have both exams and coursework stuff). Usually get about 5 or 6 hours of sleep per night, 8 maximum if I'm lucky. I used to be able to survive on less sleep (sometimes 2 or 3 hours per night), but recently even 6 doesn't seem to be enough. So I often feel very tired after a day of school and sometimes even need to nap. D:

No coffee and the likes for me though; I don't like any of that stuff. Plus caffeine (or too much) isn't all that good for you.

I try and get at least 6-7 hours sleep if I'm working the following day, but on other days I can sleep as I please ;)

Who said you need so much sleep? There's always stuff about sleep and people not getting enough of it, but apparently if you sleep too much you die earlier.

Ok, last night for example, I went to bed at about 12, and got up at 5.

That's pretty much my life right now. Getting up depends on what time I have to be up the next day. If it's a Saturday, I may not get up til 1. If it's a Monday and I have a 9 a.m. start, then 6 or 7?

I should get a lot more sleep than I currently am getting, though. My eating is also terrible. It's a wonder I'm still alive.

Who said you need so much sleep? There's always stuff about sleep and people not getting enough of it, but apparently if you sleep too much you die earlier.

Same as eating...Catch 22.

I managed to do 4 hours sleep for years, now I can sleep for England.

I think its a question of what your body is used to.

If you go from sleeping 8 hours a day to 4 hours, your body falls out of its routine pattern and cannot cope making your concentration and every other thing that runs on a set routine go to pot in the process.

I don't want to be one of those people who knows about something then starts rattling on about it, but sleep is one of the topics in my biological substrates module, and it appears that the brain is actually rather clever at catching up on lost sleep. Your brain cycles through 4 stages of sleep when you're sleeping.

In stage one your brainwaves are very similar to that of waking life, and in fact it is in this stage that dreams occur(re-emergent stage one that is).

In stage two you get some wave patterns called sleep spingles and k complexes which are punctuating waves similar to stage one, although frequency has dropped a little whilst amplitude has increased.

In stage three freq drops low and amplitude goes up more, I think these might be called theta waves.

In stage four, freq drops even lower and amplitude goes even higher, these are delta waves, and the deepest form of sleep. You'll end up here on average by about 30-40 minutes of being asleep.

Then it cycles back through them in reverse, gets to stage one and REM occurs(rapid eye movement, also the period of dreams, when you wake up remembering dreams you most likely woke up from stage one). Stage one stays for a good part of an hour, then it drops through back down to stage 4 again, and up to stage one, then back down etc. According to the graph in this book, over a 8 hour sleep period you re-emerge at REM 5 times, waking up on the 5th typically.

Anyway, the important part of sleeping is the deeper stages, 4 in particular. Apparently this is where the restorative purpose of sleep occurs. Basically, to get to the point, when you haven't gotten enough sleep, the next time you sleep you will spend longer in the deeper stages(3&4) and less time in the higher stages. I thought that was actually pretty darn interesting. It said something a bit earlier in the chapter about REM sleep increasing in the deprived, so it might be stage 2 that is cut down on. Waking people up during REM doesn't have much effects, but waking them up during slow wave sleep apparently has major effects.

Also, a guy who set a record(since broken) of 264 hours 12 minutes consecutive without sleep, only slept for 14 hours the first night after, and after that first night he returned to his usual 8-hour schedule.

Same as eating...Catch 22.

I managed to do 4 hours sleep for years, now I can sleep for England.

I think its a question of what your body is used to.

If you go from sleeping 8 hours a day to 4 hours, your body falls out of its routine pattern and cannot cope making your concentration and every other thing that runs on a set routine go to pot in the process.

Funny you should say that, psychology of eating is also part of my biopsych unit...

But I won't go into it. After a while, as long as the sleep cycles are fairly consistent, the body should adjust to them that you can sleep at those times, not sure how much of a detrimental effect it will have in the long term, although apparently there isn't much of a significant effect after the body adjusts.

(I guess it seems I did end up like one of those people)

I tend to get about 4-5 hours of sleep most days. A 6 hour stint just makes me feel more tired, and I can rarely manage 8, so I've taken to rounding down — presumably this is to do with REM cycles.

I could probably do with more sleep, but tell that to the transatlantic time difference.

I had 8 hours last night, I think the hayfever was making me really tired. Plus there was nothing to do on the internet.

Ususally I only get 5/6 hours a night and on the odd occasion, Superbowl, I get 3 hours. I'm always tired but that doen't stop my learning.

I always make sure I get at least 8 on a weeknight, I find if i get less I can be a real pain in the ass (well more so). On a weekend, I get less, and I don't get any lie ins either bah!

I can't function without my sleep...I'm asleep by 11pm. And i get up for work at half 7. Thats...*Counts on fingers* 8 and a half!

I agree with Dan dare, it is easy. If you have to be up early...go to bed early.

I'm up at 5am every weekday, I can go to bed at anytime really and still function fine, i can even go a few days without sleep, without any problems.

I can't function without my sleep...I'm asleep by 11pm. And i get up for work at half 7. Thats...*Counts on fingers* 8 and a half!

I agree with Dan dare, it is easy. If you have to be up early...go to bed early.

Yay! Me too. If I don't get at least 8 hours sleep I find it hard to function properly.

If i remember correctly the the human body requires a certain amount of time and if you don´t get those hours you have to make up for those hours, which is known to most people as "weekends"

But still sleeping to little is bad for you, especially mentally.

I get 8 hours if I'm lucky. Which I suppose is ok. I also sleep in the car on the way to school, and in school until were registered, so that would roughly qualify as 9 hours right?

I normally get about 7 - 71/2 hours on weekdays and anywhere between 5 and 10 at weekends. I ocasionaly suffer from Insomnia as well although not recently. When I first started uni I got 8 hours sleep in an entire week once. It was pretty horrible I was basicaly a zombie walking around in a daze. I went sheet white and my eyes had massive black rings around them. My housemates seriously thought I was on Heroin at the time. Fun times.

Its more to do with quality of sleep than anything else as Rummy has said. I find if i get too much sleep say more than 10 i feel tired. But can sleep 6-7 and feel great.

Getting lots of sunlight is really useful if you have problems sleeping as it seems to help reset your circadian rhythm. Though saying that im quite bad at doing that and do tend to drink far too much tea and coffee.

I'd say I usually get 6hrs a night during the week and about 12 a night at weekend... I just don't wake up!

If I wake up in the AM hours at weekend, it's just not weekend!

I sleep from 1 - 8 (week nights) and i have huge black cirlces under my eyes, other than extra sleep, is there anything that can help get rid of em?