Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta

david.dakota

N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta

Science gone mad. The above is a mathematical formula for creating the perfect bacon roll.

Scientists at Leeds University have 'discovered' that the recipe for the perfect bacon roll is down to thr crispiness of the bacon. D'oh, a no brainer there.

Given that any science requires investment of sorts (time, financial), surely there are better ways of spending that - perhaps creating a mathematical formula for reducing power consumption when grilling the bacon?

For handiness i've included the full formula below (for next time your planning to make a bacon roll).

The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

So to find the result of this formula you need to break the bacon roll beforehand and see how many force it cost? So to see how much it takes to break the bacon roll after cooking you need to break it before cooking?

So basically the best one is one made by someone else.

Food always tastes better to me if I dont have to get up off my arse to cook it so cant fault that theory.

So, the people at Leeds University spend their time making this bollocks, while AIDS and cancer kills millions of people.

Well done, lads.

I dunno....we are talking about perfect bacon here....

The world could be getting hit by a doomsday scenario meteorite and I would not let it wreck my bacon buttie breakfast.

The bacon sarny also must include lincolnshire sausages and Branston Pickles Brown Sauce.

From a scientists point of view that formula is not only a waste of time effort and funding, but also completely useless. Like seriously, how do you measure those variable. I'm going to make one up right now, the perfect full english breakfast is made by the formula:

S = a.f(x) + g(x) + h(y) + k(z)

Where S is the satisfaction of eating the full English breakfast. a is a constant depending on hardness of beans. f(x) is a function of the beans to meat radio. g(x) is a function of bacon to sausage ratio, h(y) is a function of number of slices of toast. k is a function of anything i've forgotten like tomatoes,hash browns type of sauce etc.

Can i have a grant now?

Hot damn! Do you kids not understand academia?

Of course we do. We have wikipedia, we understand every concept with just a quick glance at two paragraphs.

Academia is a collective term for the scientific and cultural community engaged in higher education and peer-reviewed research, taken as a whole.

The word comes from the akademeia just outside ancient Athens, where the gymnasium was made famous by Plato as a center of learning. The sacred space, dedicated to the goddess of wisdom, Athene, had formerly been an olive grove, hence the expression "the groves of Academe".

By extension Academia has come to connote the cultural accumulation of knowledge, its development and transmission across generations and its practitioners and transmitters. In the seventeenth century, English and French religious scholars popularized the term to describe certain types of institutions of higher learning. The English adopted the form academy while the French adopted the forms acadème and académie.

Although after reading that, I'm not quite sure what your point was.

Food is an important research topic. It has economic value too. I wouldnt be surprise if it is funded by a commercial sponsor. A lot of bollocks in academic research tends to hide behind titles that include reference to sexy diseases. I'd say about half of academic research is absolute bollocks, but you need to allow for some bollocks in order to find a penis. More bollocks in arts than sciences anyway. People that do absolute bullshit are usually self funded or nobel prize winners who have gone bonkers.