NEurope
Nintenchris

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

is it worth it with 2 controllers?how many events are simultaneous, and how many are take turns?

can anyone help with my question as i need to decide whether to pick up another controller.

how many games require the nunchuck as well? how many just needs the wii remote. Is this game any good with just two players as opposed to 3?

Have ordered the game, but considering whether is should get a 3rd remote.

Yep, it's effectively a button-masher where the button-mashing is replaced with waggle. Put it this way, if your joints aren't arthiritic before you get the game, they will be after five minutes with it. It's great fun though. :heh:

We should make a High score thread in the High score thread lol

i got a 9.286sec in 100m tonight :P

This is a great game in my opinion, I have always loved Olympics games and this is one of, if not the best. Most of the events are great with only a couple of duff ones and some average. There's LOTS of content for one player, but obviously multiplayer is just awesome. And the game is the most tiring I have ever played!! It's the knackering equivalent to the blisters you got from playing skat or die with the nes pad!!!

The online leaderboards is a bit disappointing as the best thing it could do is missing - comparing scores with friends - ridiculous!!!!!

This is a great game in my opinion, I have always loved Olympics games and this is one of, if not the best.

Sry it doesn't beat the old school arcade game that Konami made waaaaay back in the days XD

I actually had a go on this game before a New Years party last night and was pleasantly surprised! Really liked it - but then I am a sucker for this sort of thing, I loved Wii Sports much more than most tbh!

Can you give any more details on how the online leaderboards work, how much info they give etc as that could be a reason for me to get the game. I like to have a "point" to playing a game - competing with others for high scores would give me that!

My brother managed to SMASH the world record on javelin today, he got like 103m, OR is 90 and WR is 98.

I am trying to find this game! its so hard to get hold of!

Yeah I was thinking of getting this but couldn't find it in stock anywhere online. There are some on play.com going for £70!!!

£70 for this game, you are joking right? It will definitely be back in stock after the holidays.

I think I will get this game after I get back from a work Business trip, no point ordering now if i don't get to play it for a couple of weeks.

I will enjoy the pick up and play aspect, the physical aspect, and also the multiplayer should be great fun.

£70 for this game, you are joking right? It will definitely be back in stock after the holidays.

Unfortunatly not, it's the playtrade side of it. Ranging from £58-75, and the £75 one is second hand too. I feel sorry for anyone stupid enough to buy it at those prices.

Play Listing

Got this game for Christmas and it rocks! Even better then i expected actually! :)

So bloody infuriating trying to track this one down! If it weren't for people telling me not to buy any games until after Christmas I wouldn't be putting up with this crap! :mad:

So bloody infuriating trying to track this one down! If it weren't for people telling me not to buy any games until after Christmas I wouldn't be putting up with this crap! :mad:

Nintendo are having trouble making all the games, supposadely. So i would preorder next time mate, to avoid dissapoint.

They should be back in next week, there's a big shipment going into stores so it should be fine for at least a few weeks. Damn annoying though, it would easily have been Christmas No. 1 if it weren't for Nintendo's manufacturing problems.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for Wii and DS has sold five million copies, but another collaboration between the two iconic characters is still up in the air, Sega tells Next-Gen.

Getting Mario and Sonic together in the first place took so long, every decade, to make that happen," Sega of America COO and president Simon Jeffery said in a phone interview. "So I think rushing into any other collaboration is not going to happen. It's going to be fairly calculated."

Launched on November 6, the game is developed by Sega and features popular videogame characters from both Sonic's and Mario's universes, such as Tails, Knuckles, Luigi and Yoshi. Sega published the game in the West, while Nintendo published the game in Japan. The game is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Media, the interactive entertainment licensee of the International Olympic Committee.

The game has rocketed off of the blocks since its debut, topping sales charts both in the US and abroad. And while 5 million copies is a major milestone, Sega is expecting to sell even more.

"There have only been three months so far and the Olympics themselves are another four months away," Jeffery said. "We're expecting to sell quite a few million more globally, hopefully between now and the end of this year."

He added, "This reinforces what we've firmly believed--that there is a huge opportunity on the Wii and the DS to get some breakout hits, especially exploiting our intellectual properties. We're not going to be shifting our focus any, though. We're still going to be focusing on hardcore games on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, too, and really all kinds of stuff on Wii."

http://next-gen.biz/

I remember they projected 4 million sales of the game TOTAL. And people were saying NO CHANCE. 5 million already is just incredible and I can't see the game dropping sales throughout the year. A phenomenal achievement for what is a fantastic game!!!!

Hate the last statement though - stupid fucking myth about Wii gamers!!!!! Winds me up and I really think it'll probably stay the same :( Nintendo are the only ones who can kick people into thinking that hardcore games on the Wii work.......and Capcom!!!

i hope someone still makes an olympic game and the license that sega got wasnt some kind of exclusive.... maybe the balance board is a good excuse to make a sequal.... anyway, this game seems to be coming back in stock slowly so more chances to get a copy

Hate the last statement though - stupid fucking myth about Wii gamers!!!!! Winds me up and I really think it'll probably stay the same :( Nintendo are the only ones who can kick people into thinking that hardcore games on the Wii work.......and Capcom!!!

The last statement doesn't say anything about not doing hardcore games on the Wii though, just that it will only be hardcore games on the PS3 and 360. All kinds of stuff includes more than just party games. If people start buying hardcore games then SEGA will be more than happy to make them.

i hope someone still makes an olympic game and the license that sega got wasnt some kind of exclusive.... maybe the balance board is a good excuse to make a sequal.... anyway, this game seems to be coming back in stock slowly so more chances to get a copy

You mean something like the official Olympics game SEGA are currently making? Its a shame its not coming to the Wii but I actually think its not really needed when the console has Mario and Sonic.

You mean something like the official Olympics game SEGA are currently making? Its a shame its not coming to the Wii but I actually think its not really needed when the console has Mario and Sonic.

So long as Mario & Sonic isn't forgotten about by Sega once the Olimpics happen then it doesn't matter:)

With sales like M&S is getting at the moment I don't think its going to be forgotten about for a long time.

Sega's Olympic Wii release nearing sales milestone

Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games is creeping towards two million sales in the UK – and is still flying out of stores over a year after it was released.

Sega has even recently given the title an outside shot at Christmas No.1, after it appeared in TV ads from the likes of HMV and GAME as part of bargain Wii bundles.

Sega has told MCV that lifetime sales currently stand at nearly 1.3 million on Wii and 460,000 on DS.

“Our aim is to hit two million by the end of 2008,” Sega UK sales director John Clark told MCV. “Only Wii Play has more lifetime sales on Wii which tells its own story. And so far this year M&S has only been outsold on Wii by Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart Wii.

“On Nintendo DS it’s the biggest full price title of the year so far, and is second only to Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for all price points.

“There are a team of people constantly evaluating where sales should be, and the marketing has been linked well to drive this.

“We have advertised on television four times; the launch of the Wii format, the launch of the DS, the spring and autumn campaigns. This is a first for Sega.”

Of the new bundles, Clark added: “Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games on Wii has been achieving in excess of a 30 per cent attach rate.

“Working closely with retail has been key to driving this attach rate and will continue to be key throughout the peak period.”

www.mcvuk.com