Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The "Education/Career" Thread

Demuwan

I'm in my first year studying Mechanical Engineering at the ETH Zürich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich). It's a lot of theory at the moment and lot's of Analysis so I'm looking forward to next year which will have more technical orientated subjects.

I got 11 GCSE's

1 A, 2 B's and the rest were all C's.

I then went to college and studied an AVCE in ICT 2 year course. Which I passed and got that qualification.

Tried getting a few jobs in IT but couldnt so have ended up working for the MoD (Ministry of Defence). I have now been there for 4 years. I like it, it's a very good job and has a lot of different career opportunities.

I still don't really know what I wanna do. But needed a full time job for money so looks like I could be stuck here for a while.

I am currently doing a degree in Media & Cultural Studies, in my first year and finding it easy. Not because its a "mickey mouse" subject as some claim it to be, but it seems to come naturally. I end up doing my assignments, then helping my friends with theirs too. Which is why I may become a lecturer in the subject.

Although it sounds stupid but its become so easy to me I feel like assignments are below me (arrogant much?). Maybe its an excuse not to do them.

I'm in my second year of Uni, studying teaching and I've got a big two month school placement in a secondary school coming up.

It's in a Church School in Eastbourne, and I'm hoping the school will be a lot like Sister Act. Dancing Nuns, oh yeah! :D

Seriously, I'm bricking it.

did 9 and a half G.C.S.E's...

3 A's, 4 B's and 3 C's...

currently doing french music and home economics for a-levels and im aiming for an D/A/C respectively in them

hopeing to go to university after that ( Coleraine!) to do either Media Arts or Media Studies ( anyone an idea of the difference?) and after that no clue cause i dont have a baldy what to do in them

Does anyone have a job they can give me? Anyone?

In a few months time ill have a 2:2 or 2:1 BA in Physics from Oxford, plenty of nice A-lvels and GCSE's. If you have any type of job at all please contact me. Please. I really don't want to have to go back to Scunthorpe.

You don't happen to know a Russian guy called Stanislav or a Peter Babs do you?

Anyway, I've only got a few months left of university, which is slightly depressing. I doubt I'm going to come out with anything good and I have little idea of what I'm going to do afterwoulds. I'll probably just stick around Birmingham for a year and see what I can get together, for now it's probably best to concentrate on the present rather then the future.

I was a bit nervous leaving uni but it's actually a load more fun (for me anyway). I like the work (I'm a statistician), I like the people I work with, the atmosphere is nice and relaxed and, best of all, when work ends at 5:30 that's it. No homework, no working late into the night, no worrying about exams. And I have a lot more money now - even though I'm paying for a mortgage and have a baby.

I did a BSc in Maths & Stats at Newcastle (not the poly) and then a Masters in Stats at Nottingham (not the poly).

Guest Stefkov

Got 9 GCSE's.

2 a's, 6 b's and a c (art :p)

At college now failing at maths and probably gonna fail Computing. If I pick myelf up and do some work I could get a good grade in graphics and photography.

Thats 13/14 years summed up.

I never went to nursery/pre-school. There were just no spaces available anywhere. I have worked out thats maybe why I'm an introvert and hate attention. As a child I was never loud and playful and thats just carried on.

I pay £2,000 a term for access to a big library, which has been a good thing because I have discovered Hemingway/Wolfe etc. I study Politics but I skip the lectures and go to Film Studies/Computer Science/Astronomy (?) lectures instead! Politics is boring. Your parents are wrong. Be selfish. If you are 17, do exactly what you want!