N-Europe

Joanna Newsom, Mike Myers and Matt Lucas? Weird.

Also, her facial expressions when she sings now cause her to momentarily no longer be cute.

I liked them! I never knew she did them, but I guess it makes sense with the...noises she makes.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Just for something a bit different. Having listened to most of their catalogue extensively, Barrett era Floyd rank very highly indeed. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is probably one of my favourite albums.

A rare TV appearance for JoJo.

o_O

I must say I am seriously impressed. Enamoured even. She is just so animated when she sings! Heard some of her stuff before and it didn't leave much of an impression but I did enjoy that :)

I'm just held under everytime I listen to that ^. The image of them being dirtied by oil. Let me breathe, that's too powerful.

Too important contextually, considering they were the golden girls of conservative country music, and when they spoke out strongly against the Iraq War they were completely boycotted by every country music radio station in Texas and ostracised to the point they received death threats. Watch Shut Up And Sing.

dixie-chicks1.jpg

Hasn't it only been about 2 years?

*checks*

Okay nearly 3.

Fuck I feel old.

Regardless, I still slightly prefer So Jealous. Not because its better or anything, but because it was my first inroads and just holds that special place in my heart and all that.

Have One On Me is just....I have no words. Go Long has had me in a dream like state for the past 3 days. I'm so happy she's a part of my life.

In other news:

Ellie Goulding's offering is...well it's perfectly divided into the shit, and the actually not so bad. It's a shame because you can tell there was probably a lot of her record company's direction forced upon it, when actually I'd prefer just her and a guitar for the most part of all her songs.

The soundtrack for A Single Man is fantastic.

Plastic Beach by Gorillaz, I couldn't wait so I got the Japanese version. I want to like, but for the moment I don't particularly. I'm always like this with them though, hopefully it'll grow on me.

Have One On Me is just....I have no words. Go Long has had me in a dream like state for the past 3 days. I'm so happy she's a part of my life.

(Yes.)

I love knowing Soft As Chalk is her chosen song to perform.

The first disc is the one I put on instinctively, because Easy stuns. The second disc is the most stunning though. Pierces all my defenses. I've still not managed to get the third disc, apart from Soft As Chalk and Does Not Suffice.

Plastic Beach by Gorillaz, I couldn't wait so I got the Japanese version. I want to like, but for the moment I don't particularly. I'm always like this with them though, hopefully it'll grow on me.

Where does one get this? Did you take a trip to Tokyo and not tell me?

Speaking of them, in prep for the new album been listening to Demon Days a few times. I love El Manana, such a wonderful song:

(damn YT disabling embedding!)

I also love that being a fictional band they can kill off Noodle (poor Noodle :() and carry it on over to the new album.

Not many bands kill off members. Except Boyzone maybe (who also have a new album tomorrow...hmm).

Ellie Goulding's offering is...well it's perfectly divided into the shit, and the actually not so bad. It's a shame because you can tell there was probably a lot of her record company's direction forced upon it, when actually I'd prefer just her and a guitar for the most part of all her songs.

Show me your divisions, I hear nothing shit about it. Nothing truly amazing either, but nothing even close to shit.

What I've been listening to this week:

An assortment of J-lo songs.

jennifer_lopez_0.jpg

I got Jenny from the Block in my head and found her highly audible this week. My needs have been fulfilled for now. :)

Bitch Brigade: Dendrite

crunch068.jpg

I would Nosepass this in the face all night long. :grin:

Ellie Goulding: Lights

Ellie+Goulding+-+Lights+(Official+Album+Cover)+Thanx+to+Fabrizzio.jpg

Goodness is contained with in! :) Only played it twice so don't have much else to say!

Alphabeat - The Beat is

51MIMhTviAL._SS500_.jpg

Surprisingly fun. I enjoy the song Chess.

Along with Nelly Furtado, Miley Cyrus and Shakira. :D

Next week (starting from now) I've moved back onto Lady Gaga as her Spiciness levels have increased by 37. : peace:

Diana Vickers - Once

Stupid embed rule. Words cannot describe how much I adore the song, though I expected more from the video. Still, it manages to be a relatively pleasent 3 minutes. Managed to find the 5 track sampler from Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree that critics have had hold of for the past few weeks, and I'm absolutely in love with it. The Boy Who Murdered Love and My Hip are fantastic. So excited for the rest of the album.

Hmm, I tried to listen to two Joanna Newsom songs (Have One On Me and Easy), but I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this sort of music right now, or she's just not what I like... though it does fit in with the rest of my music taste so I don't know haha.

Maybe Ys is easier to get into?

Anyway, I'm about to buy at least one Ratatat album, but maybe two. I just don't know yet which one(s). Maybe I should just get all three? I'm in need of some good music with beats that I can dance to!

YS

GET YS

It's better than Milk-Eyed Mender, and less likely to put you off. It's astounding. Truly indescribable.

Have One On Me is the reality to YS's fantasy. It's as gut-wrenchingly beautiful but less showy, more concise.

Hmm, I tried to listen to two Joanna Newsom songs (Have One On Me and Easy), but I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this sort of music right now, or she's just not what I like... though it does fit in with the rest of my music taste so I don't know haha.

Anyway, I'm about to buy at least one Ratatat album, but maybe two. I just don't know yet which one(s). Maybe I should just get all three? I'm in need of some good music with beats that I can dance to!

Firstly, you have no soul! It's been a long time since a musician encapsulated a mood so complete! :heh:

As for Ratatat albums, I would really say that there's not enough consistently good material on their albums to warrant a single purchase, although you could compile a good 15-16 absolutely awesome songs from all their collective works. My personal favourite of their original material is their first album (RATATAT) for thumping beats, beautiful washes of psychedelic guitar and just general euphoria.

To be fair, the best regardless is their Remixes Vol. 1 album. Some of the best remixes I've ever heard, but if you're not into rap, then don't bother.

Firstly, you have no soul! It's been a long time since a musician encapsulated a mood so complete! :heh:

As for Ratatat albums, I would really say that there's not enough consistently good material on their albums to warrant a single purchase, although you could compile a good 15-16 absolutely awesome songs from all their collective works. My personal favourite of their original material is their first album (RATATAT) for thumping beats, beautiful washes of psychedelic guitar and just general euphoria.

To be fair, the best regardless is their Remixes Vol. 1 album. Some of the best remixes I've ever heard, but if you're not into rap, then don't bother.

Well I'd never heard anything by her before (that I know of, don't know about stuff on the radio), so didn't know what to expect. The two songs I listened to just didn't capture me at all, but maybe it wasn't such a good idea to listen to it in class.

As for Ratatat, each album seems to have a few songs I like, so I find it really hard to decide what to go for heh. And nah I'm not into rap at all heh. I might just get one album now and then get another album in a month or two or something or whatever. =P

*can't decide*

Maybe Ys is easier to get into?

I wasn't much of a fan of Ys (yeah, I said it kids!! (Though I never really gave it a proper listen)), thought it was a bit too flamboyant and showy. I didn't get her.

Yet today I finally had the revelation. Having missed my only lecture of the day I was determined not to waste the day, and thus I set off for a massive walk with big headphones and Have One on Me for accompaniment.

And I love it. Stunned, hold me close, OpheliaInaRiver.jpg and so on. It is beautiful.

As for Ratatat, LP3 is brilliant, not that I have the others to compare to.

Elsewhere, just me or has 2010 already put out most staggering albums that all of 2009? Joanna, Hot Chip, Broken Bells, Four Tet, Delphic, Vampire Weekend and coming soon LCD Soundsystem? Somuchwin.

brueghel_icarus.jpg

I have got some business out at the edge of town

Candy weighing both of my pockets down

'Til I can hardly stay afloat, from the weight of them

(and knowing how the common-folk condemn

What it is I do, to you, to keep you warm

Being a woman, being a woman)

But always up the mountainside you're clambering

Groping blindly, hungry for anything:

Picking through your pocket linings - well, what is this?

Scrap of sassafras, eh Sisyphus?

I see the blossoms broke and wet after the rain

Little sister, he will be back again

I have washed a thousand spiders down the drain

Spiders ghosts hang soaked and dangelin'

Silently from all the blooming cherry trees

In tiny nooses, safe from everyone

- nothing but a nuisance; gone now, dead and done

Be a woman, be a woman!

Though we felt the spray of the waves

We decided to stay till the tide rose too far

We weren't afraid, cause we know what you are

And you know that we know what you are

Awful atoll

O, incalculable indiscreetness and sorrow!

Bawl, bellow:

Sibyl sea-cow, all done up in a bow

Toddle and roll;

Teeth an impalpable bit of leather

While yarrow, heather and hollyhock

Awkwardly molt

along

the

shore

Are you mine?

My heart?

Mine anymore?