Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Having now listened to The Resistance by Muse I can now confidently say that I like it, however I don't love it...

The singles such as Uprising and USOE do sound better on the album but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't that brilliant, infact if I'm quite honest I would cut the album in half and just have the following as these are the standout tracks for me...

Resistance

Unnatural Selection

MK Ultra

Exogenesis Symphony, Pt. I - Overture

Exogenesis Symphony, Pt. II - Cross-Pollination

Exogenesis Symphony, Pt. III - Redemption

If the album was just the above tracks - possibly adding one more - I would most likely score it 8/10 but as it is, it gets a 7/10 from me atm. :/

This may seem a little harsh to some but I think the album would be better this way because as for Undisclosed Desires it's good but not great, Guiding Light I just can't warm to and while I Belong To You is brilliantly sung, the lyrics aren't that brilliant.

Of course this is just my opinion and only from first listen but it's pretty undeniable that this album is a mixed bag, some of it is genuinely decent whereas the rest meanders in terms of quality.

Verdict : It's good but Muse are capable of much more.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

I screamed at Fopp today. Or, in Fopp.

Rachel Unthank & The Winterset have a new album out, and no one warned me. That, AND they've got rid of one of the band members, and added 2 random men, and renamed themselves The Unthanks.

For those not in the now, they are such a brilliant, brilliant group that make this real folk music, kinda sad, but wonderful. All Newcastle-y, and sortof pre-war sounding. I NEED.

My Recent New Album Listening Round-Up

Metric - Fantasies

I love Grow Up And Blow Away, but knew nothing of how they currently sounded. While I still like them, Help, I'm Alive seems like such a stand-out compared to the rest. Needs more time, but atm 6.5/10

Hilary Duff - Dignity

I'm such a fan. :p (Actually am, though)

It's actually surprisingly good. Never seems particuarly heavy-handed lyrically, but could do with shaving 1-2 tracks off, to make it more concise, as the heavy bass in a lot of tracks (which I like) is overpowering after a while. She's not that great a singer either, but it's diguised well.

The CD cover is a nice change from the usual pop whoriness to sell albums.

I love, considering./10 (6/10)

Muse - The Resistance

Nothing particularly wrong with it, but blended into one, and didn't have too much going for it either. Some nice stompy beats in some of the songs, but the terrible Queen impressions need to die in a fire. Only had 1 1/2 listens though, so I'll keep at it.

5.9/6/10

Fiona Apple - When the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king

What he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight

And he'll win the whole thing 'fore he enters the ring

There's no body to batter when your mind is your might

So when you go solo, you hold your own hand

And remember that depth is the greatest of heights

And if you know where you stand, then you know where to land

And if you fall it won't matter, cuz you'll know that you're right

Previous holder of the record for longest album title. :p So far, so good. She takes a while to get into, and can often be a bit of a downer. Sounds lovely though. (If not AS lovely as Tidal)

7.4/10

After listening to The Resistance by Muse for the second time on my MP3 player I actually like it a lot more than I did from my first initial listen; it's actually pretty accomplished on a technical level and I appreciate more what the band have set out to do even if I still don't like all of it...

Guiding Light for instance still doesn't sit right with me and I feel that if one track had to be removed from the album then that would be it because for me it adds nothing whereas the rest of the tracks at least introduce some sort of new dynamic to the album.

It's a decent middle-of-the-road album and it's definitely growing on me for the most-part but again, as much as I like it overall I don't love it but it's still very enjoyable indeed and not the travesty that some might claim it to be... I do however look forward to them releasing a better album next time around because they are still capable of much more, but as it stands. 7.5/10

Guiding Light for instance still doesn't sit right with me and I feel that if one track had to be removed from the album then that would be it because for me it adds nothing whereas the rest of the tracks at least introduce some sort of new dynamic to the album.

Exactly how I feel about the track, though it has grown on me ever so slightly today, it'll never sit right with me. As for my comment on Micro Cuts...I just don't like it at all :heh:

Exactly how I feel about the track, though it has grown on me ever so slightly today, it'll never sit right with me. As for my comment on Micro Cuts...I just don't like it at all :heh:

Yeah, I completely get why you singled that track out now, it's easily the weakest track on the album and the one I would choose to remove... and I suppose you could say that if you absolutely had to remove a track from OOS then maybe Micro Cuts would be that track for you?

Personally I wouldn't mess with any of OOS as I love all the tracks but as for The Resistance... yeah I'd be much happier if Guiding Light just wasn't on it. :/

I saw it on a live stream last night, but I adored GaGa's peformance of Paparazzi even more after seeing it in proper quality on television. Absolutely love the dramatics of it all. I love the sound of the crowd the instant they see her "bleeding".

--

I've fallen for "Torn" (Natalie Imbruglia) all over again. Hadn't heard it in absolutely ages, but as soon as I heard it I couldn't help but sing along.

Hmm, I've always thought that Micro Cuts was one of the hidden gems on that album. That chorus. Hearing the music cut out for that split second, then the vocals kick in, it just goes together so nicely.

"I'VE SEEEEEEN

What you're dooooing to meeeee"

Although, I'm not a huge fan of Screenager. Could happily live without it. Haha.

I've fallen for "Torn" (Natalie Imbruglia) all over again. Hadn't heard it in absolutely ages, but as soon as I heard it I couldn't help but sing along.

Haha, I actually listened to that about a month or two ago when it come on randomly via Last.FM and while it's not one of my favourite songs or anything I did kinda enjoy it at the time, think it was the vague nostalgia-value. :heh:

------------------------------------

Giving The Resistance its third listen already :o It's gradually growing on me, quicker than I expected though.

Although, I'm not a huge fan of Screenager. Could happily live without it. Haha.

Nooo... Screenager is awesome! haha :D well I guess everyone has their favourite and not-so liked tracks even on albums as awesome as OOS. :)

Torn is one of my favourite songs. :)

It reminds me of being young again, heh.

Plus, Natalie is so damn hot. She's in my top 5. I just look at her and know that if we ever met she would say "oooo, Jim, ravage me. Take me with your masculinity. I also like it up the bum."

Nooo... Screenager is awesome! haha :D well I guess everyone has their favourite and not-so liked tracks even on albums as awesome as OOS. :)

The album is great, and I think it's natural to like some songs less than others. I can see why many wouldn't like Micro Cuts, because it probably could grate after a while. Screenager just seems a bit lifeless compared to the rest of the album, imo. Especially compared to Hyper Music and Bliss, those sorts of tunes.

I'm actually listening to Showbiz right now, the album I always seem to forget about when naming my favourite Muse songs. It's got some brilliant tracks.

Showbiz! I absolutely love that album :) there are a lot of good tracks in there, some of my favourite Muse tracks even.

---------------------------------------------------

Nearing the end of my third listen of The Resistance and as much as I still know Muse are capable of more I can't help but appreciate what they've done on this album, a lot of it is very nicely done indeed and there are one or two tracks that have now become firm favourites. 8/10

I'm thinking Resistance, MK Ultra and Undisclosed Desires? Those are my solid favourites off the album.

Yes, Yes and Yes! but I'm also really liking the Exogenesis Symphony as well, though I don't think of it as the next Knights of Cydonia because it's completely different, though if any track is the next Cydonia for me then it'd be Unnatural Selection which is another favourite, because think about it... it's almost as long, has quite an epic feel to it overall, a change in pace towards the end which then builds up to a satisfying finish.

Though really comparing it to Knights of Cydonia is silly really because they are different tracks entirely in actuality, but... just an observation. :D

You're certainly right about Space Dementia...well, wait. What about New Born? Bliss? Aaargh..

I love the Symphony too, SCG, it's fantastic. Does take a couple of listens to appreciate it though I think, as it doesn't have a huge build up and payoff like you might imagine it to. It's a strange one, with that at the end of the album there's no 'big finish' to it, and it feels like there should have been a track added after the symphony to round off the album.

You fools! Space Dementia is clearly the best on OOS. And the bass in the last minute of Micro Cuts is amazing. Love it.

Bliss is my favourite off that album. Space Dementia does kick arse, massively. The first 5 songs on that album just go together so well. Well grouped together.

And yes, that last minute of Micro Cuts. :D

Wow, I just got a box of Poppets, ate 3, and then tipped the whole box in between the cushions on this sofa. Thanks for ruining my night, Davey underscore Tee.

That bass riff is awesome, though.

Off OOS my favourite is most definately Space Dementia. It is beautiful. :)

I'm loving the new Muse album and I don't care who likes it/doesn't like it or even wants to wear the CD cover as a hat! :p

My favourite songs off it are Undisclosed Desires, United States Of Urasia and Guiding Light. :D

And now to move on I have NEVER listened to Show Buisness and I'm edging towards 800 plays of Muse. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Still have to listen to Pixie Lotts and Nelly Furtado's new albums!

Still have to listen to Pixie Lotts and Nelly Furtado's new albums!

I've been giving Mika and Pixie Lotts new ones a listen. Not sure of you're a fan of Mika, but you should try the new album. I swear you'll really enjoy at least half of the album. "Good Girl Gone", "Rain" and "Blame It On The Girls" are brilliant.

Lotts album actually suprised me. Apart from a few to many ballads (two more than there should be to be exact) it's not half bad. I've got a thing for her voice, it manages to sound young whilst at the same time making every song she records sound vaguely like a throwback 60's record.

Wait... you've never listened to Showbiz Coolness? :o I can't wait till you actually give it a listen, I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the album. :D

Me thinks I will. I shall give that a listen to some time tomorrow. :)

I've been giving Mika and Pixie Lotts new ones a listen. Not sure of you're a fan of Mika, but you should try the new album. I swear you'll really enjoy at least half of the album. "Good Girl Gone", "Rain" and "Blame It On The Girls" are brilliant.

Lotts album actually suprised me. Apart from a few to many ballads (two more than there should be to be exact) it's not half bad. I've got a thing for her voice, it manages to sound young whilst at the same time making every song she records sound vaguely like a throwback 60's record.

Hmm Mika creeps me out but I can't help love his songs. Very much like We Are Golden and will be checking out more of his new stuff.

Pixie Lott I've been waiting for the album to come out so can't wait to give that a listen. I get what you mean by her voice, arousing. (wrong use of the word)

I also Forgot I listened to The Asteroid Galaxies - Fruits which also surprised me that it was out! :grin:SO extremely happy about that and on first listen it was great! I shall give it more listens when I give Muse a bit of a break!

Also had a go with Kylie Minogues - Impossible Princess which continues to fascinate me! :yay:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!