Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I think what Bard is saying is mostly some true. Some people here tend to think an insult on their favourite band is a personal attack on them or their so called identity. Haggis also has the right idea but I dislike people constantly labeling their posts about certain artists being the best, music has no measurable scale. I think that's why people get ticked off and start slagging other peoples taste. You like what you like, even though others might think it's turd.

There is a scale though.

It can't be disputed that Bjork is better than Lady Gaga (both musically and for the "fun factor"). Tori Amos' older albums are better than Fori Amos' newer albums, no question.

If there is a comparative, there must be a superlative.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon

This music thread needs more music so...

I love It by Sneaky Sound System

I like it, but you may not. I have my reason and you will have yours. I am not correct and you are not wrong.

But feel free to discuss anyway...

Whats wrong with "bopping" along to Paramore and the like anyway? Sometimes people just want a catchy tune or something mindless. I agree that some people can get too into mindless songs and believe there's something more to it. But who are we to judge? If they get some sort of pleasure from listening to it, either in a trivial way or some deep meaning, how is it a bad thing? You said yourself that "I've always felt that music is supposed to be evocative or create a mood.". Maybe people can see something in their music that you can't. Thats the great thing about being human, different things mean different things to different people.

I don't know you personally. For all I know you may in fact, not be a douchebag, unlikely as it may seem. Well, the thing that's wrong with Paramore specifially, is that not only are they pop rock wimpyness, they're bad writers too, objectively speaking. So you have to have an amazing propensity to tolerate immensely spastic (in a bad way...not in a DEP way), badly placed instrumental work to actually enjoy them. Now, for example, if you cited Fall Out Boy for example; they are the the definition of...well...so many things, but at least they know how to write a catchy hook, and can structure a verse/chorus/verse song without much trouble; thus they are tolerable.

There is a scale though.

It can't be disputed that Bjork is better than Lady Gaga (both musically and for the "fun factor"). Tori Amos' older albums are better than Fori Amos' newer albums, no question.

I'm not going to try and defend any of those artists because I've never listened to them, but even I can see they can be disputed. You might like the new albums but im guessing quite a few will prefer the older stuff. In my view I put Bjork on the same level as The Wombles, though i'd probably give them more of a listen. Of course that's just my view, not me posting professing to cover the view of everyone in the world.

There is a scale though.

Thats crap (the fun factor bit). If I had to choose which I would have more "fun" listening too, it would be GaGa by a mile.

So yes...it can be disputed.

I don't know you personally. For all I know you may in fact, not be a douchebag, unlikely as it may seem.

Why is it unlikely that I'm not a douchebag? You only know that I like Paramore and whatever other bands I've posted on here. EVERYONE has guilty pleasures, the only difference is I'm not even remotely guilty.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just making points as I see 'em. I'm a nice guy, honestly!

I'm not going to try and defend any of those artists because I've never listened to them, but even I can see they can be disputed. You might like the new albums but im guessing quite a few will prefer the older stuff. In my view I put Bjork on the same level as The Wombles, though i'd probably give them more of a listen. Of course that's just my view, not me posting professing to cover the view of everyone in the world.

Tori Amos wrote the brilliant Boys For Pele. She was the idiosyncratic piano songstress that could get away with clawing at her vagina and shouting abuse at her own crowd.

Fori Amos was just produced the embarrassing joke that is Welcome To England. She has failed. She's had so much plastic surgery she cannot even pronounce "a"s properly anymore.

It's a fact that her older stuff is better. It is musically more complex. More personal. More thought and energy put into it. More epic. Technically less accessible, but only because good music tends to be harder to get into.

As it is a fact that Bjork is better than the Wombles. Objectively its a fact. If one cannot discern that Hyperballad is a better song that Wombling Around then they need their heads checked.

Thats crap (the fun factor bit). If I had to choose which I would have more "fun" listening too, it would be GaGa by a mile.

So yes...it can be disputed.

Lady Gaga is the most contrived thing in the world though. If you derive fun from her, why not cut to the chase and listen to some rnb-pop which does the same thing but is more sincere?

Lady Gaga is the most contrived thing in the world though. If you derive fun from her, why not cut to the chase and listen to some rnb-pop which does the same thing but is more sincere?

Because personally I enjoy her music...as hard as it seems to be for you to believe. Saying "It cannot be disputed" or "It's a fact that" doesn't actually make it so. For you, that may be the case, but for me it isn't.

Tori Amos wrote the brilliant Boys For Pele. She was the idiosyncratic piano songstress that could get away with clawing at her vagina and shouting abuse at her own crowd.

Fori Amos was just produced the embarrassing joke that is Welcome To England. She has failed. She's had so much plastic surgery she cannot even pronounce "a"s properly anymore.

It's a fact that her older stuff is better. It is musically more complex. More personal. More thought and energy put into it. More epic. Technically less accessible, but only because good music tends to be harder to get into.

As it is a fact that Bjork is better than the Wombles. Objectively its a fact. If one cannot discern that Hyperballad is a better song that Wombling Around then they need their heads checked.

Right Okay.

It is a Fact that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are better than anything you listen too or have ever listened too. Technically it's far superior to anything you can do with a piano and sounds a lot better than a pre-pubescent boy or Bjork. It's complexity far outweighs anything. In fact you're better off just never listening to music ever again.

Edited by Jon

Why is it unlikely that I'm not a douchebag? You only know that I like Paramore and whatever other bands I've posted on here. EVERYONE has guilty pleasures, the only difference is I'm not even remotely guilty.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just making points as I see 'em. I'm a nice guy, honestly!

Dear god man, it was a joke. I've practically called everyone on here a douchebag at some point.

When someone releases a work of art, it's existance in the world is a constant. The only variable in the interaction between that creation and the person consuming it is the person themselves. Of course, I believe in the democracy of interpretation as much as anyone, but the worth of art is measurable to a certain degree. Boundaries do blur, I mean, who is better at their craft, Jeff Buckley, or Nick Drake? That, in my opinion is where subjectivity becomes part of the equation.

Bah, whatever.

Utterances. All you've said here is pretty much irrelevant. So what if she shouts abuse and claws at her vagina? I'm not interested, unless shouting abuse and the clawing at vagina somehow made it onto the recording for the express purpose of being listened to and consumed as music. You've not actually approached discussion of the music itself. What the fuck is going on here? Why are your "facts" not even remotely justified?

Utterances. All you've said here is pretty much irrelevant. So what if she shouts abuse and claws at her vagina? I'm not interested, unless shouting abuse and the clawing at vagina somehow made it onto the recording for the express purpose of being listened to and consumed as music. You've not actually approached discussion of the music itself. What the fuck is going on here? Why are your "facts" not even remotely justified?

Well bear in mind I'm not even that good at stringing an argument up in an entirely sober state. :heh:

Anyway, my point was more general in my first post - now I've got stuck in a Bjork/Tori example rut.

I listened to Royksopp's new album Junior earlier, twice in-fact... a genuinely lovely sounding album. :)

I gave it one run through and it was lovely, I'll admit.

I wuv you bardy. You take the time to write up my brain while I go out and get sozzled on cheap vodka cokes in shitty rock clubs :)

Anyway, my point was more general in my first post - now I've got stuck in a Bjork/Tori example rut.

this is new? :heh:

now for something completely different!

Jake To The Bone by Toto. Spotify if you dare!

spotify:track:5ZMiKNozPwzIIkaL0vHZOb

Fuck I love Toto

I know the convo is over, but I have to chip in and say that chair's example of old Tori Amos compared to new Tori Amos is actually a very good one. He expresed it dubiously, but in essence he's right. It's like 2 halves of an obvious coin.

However, the fact not many people would know this to be true (JonSt) lead them to believe that chair was saying she was the best thing ever, it seems. (JonSt)

I know the convo is over, but I have to chip in and say that chair's example of old Tori Amos compared to new Tori Amos is actually a very good one. He expresed it dubiously, but in essence he's right. It's like 2 halves of an obvious coin.

However, the fact not many people would know this to be true (JonSt) lead them to believe that chair was saying she was the best thing ever, it seems. (JonSt)

No, No, No.

I'm not getting into this again. Suffice to say, when you start using the word Fact over and over again in a music thread, you're speaking large amounts of Bullshit.

Oh, I'll chip in. Paramore are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, gotta say. Like three or four songs perhaps.

Music facts are bullshit.

No, No, No.

I'm not getting into this again. Suffice to say, when you start using the word Fact over and over again in a music thread, you're speaking large amounts of Bullshit.

Yes indeedy.

I physically cannot stop listening to Bat For Lashes Two Suns. I've tried and it was painful I couldn't make it through a song. :)

Me thinks it is my favourite album of the year thus far and it shall take a lot to beat it for me! (maybe Grizzly Bears new album which I have yet to listen to.)

Two Planets started playing as I entered into a tense Boss battle in Resident Evil 5, twas brilliant. :grin:

Edited by Coolness Bears

For a minute there I thought we were comparing The Wurzels to Bjork, I was then gonna post.

"I've got a brand new combine harvester, every day of the week"..

Alas you were discussing The Wombels.. (of Wimbledon common?)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!