• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!

U2 have covered Greg Lake's Christmas classic "I Believe In Father Christmas" and it is absolutely horrendous. :shakehead

Listen to it yourself:

And then redeem yourself with the fantastic original:

Makes me hate U2 so much more. :nono:

I love when you grow to love music you skipped over before.

Like, I've had Aerial by Kate Bush for ages, and I've only really appreciated A Sea Of Honey (the first disc). It has all the obvious singles - King Of The Mountain, Pi, Mrs. Bartolozzi, How To Be Invisible, etc etc, and I never really listened to the second disc.

I now love it. It's literally a lovely journey, penending with 8 minutes of the lovely Nocturne, then the highlight of the album Aerial. I never really understood why the album was called Aerial, but now I know, since Aerial is literally a song I love to hear.

PJ Harvey News:

pj_parrish.jpg

In 1996, Polly joined forces with a Mr John Parrish and produced ‘Dance Hall at Louse Point’, which although not entirely a PJ solo album as she did the lyrics and vocals and he did the music.

On March 30th ‘09, Polly and John are releasing their long overdue 2nd collaborative album, ‘A Woman A Man Walked By’. Rumours are a tour will follow.

PJ Harvey News:

pj_parrish.jpg

In 1996, Polly joined forces with a Mr John Parrish and produced ‘Dance Hall at Louse Point’, which although not entirely a PJ solo album as she did the lyrics and vocals and he did the music.

On March 30th ‘09, Polly and John are releasing their long overdue 2nd collaborative album, ‘A Woman A Man Walked By’. Rumours are a tour will follow.

That's the only "proper" PJ album I don't have, but this new one coming out will definitely inspire my getting the first!

Also, Coolness; A Place To Bury Strangers are pretty cool.

PJ Harvey News:

pj_parrish.jpg

I LOVE LIFE - I LOVE LI-h-FE!

I LOVE - I LOVE LI - I LOV-

I LOVE LIFE, and pull out the pin!

But yeah, I need to Peej live before I die.

Do you think she'll have dropped the White Chalk 1870s attire by then?

I have some new music from my friend. :) Well not new music but people I've never listened to before. Firstly I got Justice A Cross the Universe. :grin:

Then I'm also looking forward to listen to:

LCD Sound System

Liars

Nas

A Place to Bury Strangers

TV on the Radio

M83

To name a few got a whole 5GB's worth. :)

I always wanted to get into TV on the radio but never did. I never gave it much effort but still...

The first one is pretty cool, it's a contempory dance album, "Taut" is the best song off of it:

Polly and John performing Taut on Jools Holland.

I love it! I never knew it was like that!? I assumed that it would be like slow folky songs, based off the title...dunno why.

P.S I love spoken word songs, too. Awesome, too much of it being present.

Anything by the Who is brilliant if you ask me!

This just reminded me, my dad found a load of his old LPs the other day and some of them are just brilliant, including Quadrophenia ^^, The dark side of the moon and Led Zeppelin II. Now I just need to find his old deck.

Anyone up for "Your Top Ten Tracks of the Year" listage?

(p.s, no multiples from the same artist)

(p.p.s Give reasons, of some sort)

10. You Have Been Loved - Sia

The whole of Some People Have Real Problems will forever remind me of the only time I've got completely wasted, which might explain my relative lack of listens to it. However, very recently, this song struck me agains with it's wonderfulness.

9. This Is Not For You - Blood Red Shoes

Missed out on seeing them with my friends due to being away, really upset, as they have so much energy. Love all the songs on the albums, but this one sticks out.

8. Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - Beyoncé

Not an opus by any means, but one of the best pop songs in the charts this year, with an epic video. A phenomenon in school and (remarkably) my family.

7. Courtship Dating - Crystal Castles

Sure they're the hippest thing atm, but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent. One of many awesome tracks, but I love the lyrics to this, and the facts they're really interesting, but you'd never know, as they're purposely obscured.

6. Wait For The Summer - Yeasayer

Awesome atmosphere across the whole of the album, but this is beautiful and fun. I love atmospheric songs. Only got this recently, and it deserves LOADS more listens.

5. Into The Nightlife - Cyndi Lauper

Only just got She's So Unusual, which is great, surprisingly, so I wasn't even aware she'd released an album earlier this year. This track is one of the pop/dance songs of the year, no question. Shame no one noticed it.

4. Gun - Emilana Torrini

I keep meaning to get her better received debut album, but this is a striking track off her new album, Me & Armini. I can't enough of the distant guitar, and the "gunshot" at the start. Contrasts yet fits perfectly with the rest of the album.

3. Geraldine - Glasvegas

Their album demands more attention, a lot of is still "samey" to me atm, but this song is great. I dig their wall of sound, phil spector-ish approach, and considering I hate the Proclaimers for their accent, I love the singer's voice here. Maybe I just hate the proclaimers because their music is crap too..

2. My Manic & I - Laura Marling

The quintessential Laura Marling track, along with Night Terror. Beauty found in both the simplicity of production, the stark voice, and the wonderful lyrics. She effing 19! Amazing talent. Rightfully nominated for the Mercury prize this year.

1. The Rip - Portishead

Just...:bowdown: . So different to what they're known for (Their first 2 albums), loud, jazzy, more oomphy stuff, but this is just perfection. The build-up, Beth Gibbon's vocals (:heart: ), the VIDEO, and then the "breakdown".

----

I hate stuff like that because I never remember what has happened during the year...

Fun - Benson Hedges would be in the list though. Maybe I'll come back to this later..

iTunes has the year of each rack beside it.

Unless it's not from a recognised CD or off a legal DL site...

*suspicious eyes cast over N-E*

Anyone up for "Your Top Ten Tracks of the Year" listage?

(p.s, no multiples from the same artist)

(p.p.s Give reasons, of some sort)

8. Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - Beyoncé

Not an opus by any means, but one of the best pop songs in the charts this year, with an epic video. A phenomenon in school and (remarkably) my family.

I agree with this. :D Same at my school people are hypnotised by the Video. though they "claim" they don't actually like the song! :p

I'm definately up for making a list. (I love lists :heart: )

Does it have to be people who brought stuff out this year? or can it be a song you first heard in 2008 and think is excellent!? :grin:

I agree with this. :D Same at my school people are hypnotised by the Video. though they "claim" they don't actually like the song! :p

I'm definately up for making a list. (I love lists :heart: )

Does it have to be people who brought stuff out this year? or can it be a song you first heard in 2008 and think is excellent!? :grin:

This year only. Though I've had conflicting cources saying which year Yeasayer came out in. Well anyway, it was on Fopp's Best of 08 rack, so I'll pretend I was fooled.

Yeah, just this year.