• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Chairdriver's top 5 albums you'd expect to be quite bad, but are actually quite good:

1) Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks

2) I'm Not Dead - P!nk

3) Paper Scissors Stone - Catatonia

4) Life For Rent - Dido

5) Try This! - P!nk

Ah dixie chicks, became more well known for writing on themselves =]

MSN Musics Top Albums of 2007

1) Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare: How do you top a first album that became the fastest-selling debut since Oasis' Definitely Maybe, featured on the 9 o'clock news and inspired a generation of youths?

Chief Monkey Alex Turner had the answer in Favourite Worst Nightmare - refine the songwriting and use more mature references while simultaneously keeping the infectious enthusiasm of the first offering. Love, loss, jubilation, regret and big fat bingo pens - what more could you wish for?

2) Kings Of Leon - Because Of The Times: Their first album Youth And Young Manhood repackaged Southern rock for the masses, while their second outing Aha Shake Heartbreak cranked up the melody. No one really knew what to expect from this third album before its release in April, but what we got were scuzzy, Pixies-esque basslines, squealing guitars and a batch of the Followills' finest songs to date.

From here, world domination is only around the corner.

3)The Good The Bad And The Queen -The Good The Bad And The Queen: Damon Albarn used to be the singer in Blur, you know. It's worth reminding ourselves of that every now and again, such is the quality of his side projects, which of course, also include Mali Music and Gorillaz.

For this album, he teamed up with ex-Verve man Simon Tong, Clash bassist Paul Simonon and Fela Kuti's drummer Tony Allen. The result was this stunning and criminally underrated album, featuring 12 songs about London, yet with universal appeal. A modern masterpiece.

4) The White Stripes - Icky Thump: How does Jack White keep reinventing the wheel? Get Behind Me Satan, the band's fifth album, was an unlovable affair, with some naysayers hinting the wheels may have come off Jack and Meg's blues train.

This album proved that wasn't the case, emphatically. The title track is a prog-rock done Detroit-style, while the rest of the album boasts some of Jack's very best guitar work, Meg's primal drumming and, wait for it, bagpipes. Brilliant.

5) Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight: Rilo Kiley risked alienating their hardcore fans with this album, but the gamble was well worth it. Their last album, More Adventurous, brought the band's country-tinged rock and Jenny Lewis' sultry voice more toward the mainstream.

This time around, they seemingly dove headlong into LA's seedy underbelly, listened to a whole load of early 70s Fleetwood Mac and let their imaginations run wild. And for that we should all be grateful.

Hmm, it's just never got stuck in my head. Her new single "Piece of me" has though. It's a great song, it's number 15 on Rolling Stones best songs of 2007 too.

Her album is amazing, seriously.

And The_Bard flamed me for buying it or even liking it, it just really pisses me off when people slate you for liking something they don't.

I mean have I ever flamed him for liking "heavy metal" or whatever he is into?

:indeed:

Her album is amazing, seriously.

And The_Bard flamed me for buying it or even liking it, it just really pisses me off when people slate you for liking something they don't.

I mean have I ever flamed him for liking "heavy metal" or whatever he is into?

:indeed:

I've not listened to it, and don't really want to tbh. The new song is catchy though. :)

He's not slating the fact you like her, he's slating the fact you think she's great I think. (Or am I wrong?). I mean, Avril Lavigne, when compared to some of these fantastic artists around, is shit, but I still love her music. But I'm not pretending she's amazing at everything she does etc etc.

Or have I completely missed bards/oxigens point?:heh:

I've not listened to it, and don't really want to tbh. The new song is catchy though. :)

He's not slating the fact you like her, he's slating the fact you think she's great I think. (Or am I wrong?). I mean, Avril Lavigne, when compared to some of these fantastic artists around, is shit, but I still love her music. But I'm not pretending she's amazing at everything she does etc etc.

Your wrong, I don't think "she" is great, I mean, she isn't =/

Far from it in fact.

I'm saying her album is amazing.

Your wrong, I don't think "she" is great, I mean, she isn't =/

Far from it in fact.

I'm saying her album is amazing.

Thats what I mean, I think they are getting at you for saying a britney spears album is "amazing". Saying you like it, but there's a masses of better artists out there etc is fine...btw I'm just trying to understand what Oxigen/Bard mean. I'm not moaning at you for saying something. :)

No! It seems we have thought you well, my son. :)

Of course, considering it's a wonder you can read anything at all, you're not one to be making that statement ;).

And why is it a wonder I can read? If your stating im "dumb", I'll have you know, I'm predicted A's and B's on my GCSE's...

Anyway, Oxigen has now stated that you and him were slating me for "thinking Britney was great"

I didn't say that, I said I liked her new album...

So he either misread, or didn't quote Haggis correctly...

EDIT: Oxigen wasn't really the one flaming me, so sorry I made it sound like that in my post.

Right...because GCSE's are quite obviously incredibly taxing and indicative of intelligence...aren't they...:indeed:

Anyway, bought "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk," listening to it now. I quite like Vancouver. It's good shit.

Oh for fuck sake, why would you think I'm unintelligent?

And yeah, GCSE's mean quite a fucking lot at my age, getting into the better colleges, getting first job etc