Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sat eating round a table last night, and Shania Twains "Come on Over" was put on. I remember listening to it as a kid, and I new so many words! It was a little embarassing. Though in the end, you could tell everyone was singing "Man I Feel Like a Woman" in their heads.

I had no idea it the best selling album by a female, ever. 39 million copies. Jeez, thats alot of sales.

Also, "Hot in Herre" is such a funny song. But it goes on, and on, and on.

One more thing. I've got "Hey Mickey" (but the Bring it on version) stuck in my head thanks to the CD I got asked to burn or cheesy songs/ones with sexual lyrics/songs that grate. I hate my friend. :p

Oh! And I'm getting massively into Muse again, thanks to the discussions in this thread. I love them.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

The only other artists that I have in my iTunes that are in league with Bjork (IMO) are Kate Bush and Camille.

I really recommend Camille BTW, even if you can't speak/understand French, it's awesome.

I'm loving Roisin Murphy at the moment. Let Me Know is such a good song to dance to.

I bought No Wow by The Kills, and Hercules And Love Affair today.

But again this all boils down to opinion, I personally can't stomach Bjork in the slightest, her songs aren't personal at all to me, and to be honest she annoys the hell out of me. Tori Amos on the otherhand is, again in my opinion, a freaking goddess and just because someone says someone else is better, doesn't change absolutely anything at all for me.

Not meaning to sound flamey or anything btw, just giving my view on the whole "Bjork for world dominator" thing.

But again this all boils down to opinion, I personally can't stomach Bjork in the slightest, her songs aren't personal at all to me, and to be honest she annoys the hell out of me. Tori Amos on the otherhand is, again in my opinion, a freaking goddess and just because someone says someone else is better, doesn't change absolutely anything at all for me.

Not meaning to sound flamey or anything btw, just giving my view on the whole "Bjork for world dominator" thing.

*looks at his last.fm*

Along with PJ Harvey, they rule the clitrock universe.

But Tori's music is far more human, fallible, which is great. I LOVE her.

Bjork, though I can't listen to her non-stop like I can Tori, produces music that just evokes something otherworldly. She's much more a force of nature, both in musical terms and her actual self. While I watched her dance on stage to Hunter, I was thinking, This is so different to Tori, who is relatively stiff, and the fact Bjork was rampaging around, waving her hair around was such a constrast to recent Tori perfromances, with the emotionless wigs.

I think Tori will always regin in plays on my last.fm, but Bjork is much more powerful than her, but in secret, to me.

I wouldn't leave a Tori show thinking it was the best night of my life, I don't think, especially since her voice has deteriorated so much recently. I really can't stand some of the live tracks I have in her tepid "new" moan. The moan replaces some of the best notes in the originals.

[/end rant against Tori, even though I adore her]

And Camille is nowhere near any of the aforementioned artists, or Kate Bush. She's interesting, but frankly, I can't judge if they connect with me as they're in French, and they aren't affecting enough to transcend the language barrier.

I'd actually add Joanna Newsom to the 3 I mentioned were the best, but she needs more material for me to judge upon.

-------

------

@ Haggis, same here! My mum used to play it, and whenever it comes on my iTunes, I know most of the words! :yay: What I actually like about Shania ia that the two albums we have 'Come on over" and "UP!" are recorded really well. Her voice is so clear. I mean it's easy-listenng, guilty pleasures, but she's got some good songs.

-----

----

Currently listening to Pretty.Odd by PATD, again.

It's not bad at all, the only thing is that it's so overblown that tracks don't stand out as much.

Best Songs after 6-7 listens;

Pas De Cheval

Mad As Rabbits

That Green Gentleman

Northern Downpour

And Camille is nowhere near any of the aforementioned artists, or Kate Bush. She's interesting, but frankly, I can't judge if they connect with me as they're in French, and they aren't affecting enough to transcend the language barrier.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is something a lot of English speakers feel? Cause for me, the lyrics don't mean as much, it's the overall impression a song gives me that matters. Half of the time I can't make out what an artist is singing in a song (even in English), but that doesn't take away from it, in my opinion.

So do more people feel like they need to be able to understand the lyrics to fully appreciate the song?

Just a question. =3

*might check out more from this Camille lady*

Hmmm, I wonder if this is something a lot of English speakers feel? Cause for me, the lyrics don't mean as much, it's the overall impression a song gives me that matters. Half of the time I can't make out what an artist is singing in a song (even in English), but that doesn't take away from it, in my opinion.

So do more people feel like they need to be able to understand the lyrics to fully appreciate the song?

Just a question. =3

*might check out more from this Camille lady*

It probably is, to be honest. It's not a huge deciding factor though. I love Ta Doleur and others by Camille, but it seems very samey due to the language barrier. However, I remember that Suerte is better than Whenever, Wherever by Shakira (same song, different language).

Heresy. One thing is instrumentality, wich is supposed to evoke emotions through melody, rythm, noise, whatever. Another completely different thing is music wich is meant to be heard with the voice... The voice becomes the soul, and the instruments are never as sharp tools when there's a voice present. A magnificient song with bad lyrics/vocal evokation is a bad song. Simple as. And if you don't need it to enjoy it, you're not really listening to music for the artistical pleasure of it, you're just using it as time filler, wich is a great mistake.

Heresy. One thing is instrumentality, wich is supposed to evoke emotions through melody, rythm, noise, whatever. Another completely different thing is music wich is meant to be heard with the voice... The voice becomes the soul, and the instruments are never as sharp tools when there's a voice present. A magnificient song with bad lyrics/vocal evokation is a bad song. Simple as. And if you don't need it to enjoy it, you're not really listening to music for the artistical pleasure of it, you're just using it as time filler, wich is a great mistake.

I don't know about that. Many a time I listen to music without singing. Classical music for instance has very little singing in it, would you say thats not music, jazz/blues (some of the stuff I listen to) also has very little singing, would you say you still can't feel emotion. I understand where you are coming from but don't entirely agree.

I don't know about that. Many a time I listen to music without singing. Classical music for instance has very little singing in it, would you say thats not music, jazz/blues (some of the stuff I listen to) also has very little singing, would you say you still can't feel emotion. I understand where you are coming from but don't entirely agree.

You should read my post more thouroughly. I love Jazz, Classical, post-rock, all kinds of instrumental music much more than I do sung music. What I said was... if the music is built and desinged (composed) to have a voice in it, the voice is going to be the soul, it steals the shine from the instruments. What I meant was... if the song is meant to have a voice, then yes, it most definitely is indeed absolutely necessary to empathize with the voice and it's lyrics. If not, most likely the instruments speak for themselves in a way that sung music can never. I much preffer voiceless music for that very reason, it has the power to evoke much deeper emotions and feelings, as well as thoughts, due to it's abstractness, than sung music, with it's direct approach on communication.

You should read my post more thouroughly. I love Jazz, Classical, post-rock, all kinds of instrumental music much more than I do sung music. What I said was... if the music is built and desinged (composed) to have a voice in it, the voice is going to be the soul, it steals the shine from the instruments. What I meant was... if the song is meant to have a voice, then yes, it most definitely is indeed absolutely necessary to empathize with the voice and it's lyrics. If not, most likely the instruments speak for themselves in a way that sung music can never. I much preffer voiceless music for that very reason, it has the power to evoke much deeper emotions and feelings, as well as thoughts, due to it's abstractness, than sung music, with it's direct approach on communication.

Sorry for the misunderstanding now, I see what you mean and agree with what you have said. : peace:

Can't say I agree with you OW. To me the voice is another instrument that is added to the song; I don't need to be able to understand (all) the words to know what the song is about or what feeling it evokes in me. Sure it's nice when you -do- understand the lyrics, but if you won't listen to music in different languages simply cause you don't understand it, then you will miss out on a lot. :)

To each their own though.

Can't say I agree with you OW. To me the voice is another instrument that is added to the song; I don't need to be able to understand (all) the words to know what the song is about or what feeling it evokes in me. Sure it's nice when you -do- understand the lyrics, but if you won't listen to music in different languages simply cause you don't understand it, then you will miss out on a lot. :)

To each their own though.

I think you may have misunderstood like I did. The point is not about different languages or language being an Impenetrable barrier, but that the voice is the single most important instrument in connecting an artist (Irrespective of language) to the audience and if that fails its likely the song will also fail too.

Currently listening to Pretty.Odd by PATD, again.

It's not bad at all, the only thing is that it's so overblown that tracks don't stand out as much.

Best Songs after 6-7 listens;

Pas De Cheval

Mad As Rabbits

That Green Gentleman

Northern Downpour

All of the tracks would be great if they were on an album with their older stuff. But I've had more chance to listen to it as well, and despite my initial impression, some of the tracks stand out, namely:

Mad as Rabbits

Nine in the Afternoon

Do You Know What I'm Seeing

and indeed That Green Gentleman.

I think you may have misunderstood like I did. The point is not about different languages or language being an Impenetrable barrier, but that the voice is the single most important instrument in connecting an artist (Irrespective of language) to the audience and if that fails its likely the song will also fail too.

Let's make love.

But then why the mention of lyrics being important? Surely if they shouldn't matter then. You can make a song in gibberish and still let it bring forward sadness or happiness or any other emotion.

What I mean is that to me, lyrics aren't important, it's the voice itself and the emotion in it that can make or break a song.

But then why the mention of lyrics being important? Surely if they shouldn't matter then. You can make a song in gibberish and still let it bring forward sadness or happiness or any other emotion.

What I mean is that to me, lyrics aren't important, it's the voice itself and the emotion in it that can make or break a song.

That's false. If the writers designed the song to be fullfilled with lyrics, it's because they felt the lyrics were an important and necessary part of the song, hence, by ignoring them, you're not appreciating the song to it's full potential.

Does anyone here have Autechre's new album - what's it like? I need a new Autechre album, after listening to Amber alot the past two weeks I need more =D

Get LP5, if you haven't still.

When I first listened to Camille, I didn't understand her French at all, but her voice just captivated me.

I remember putting on Le Fil (her A Cappella album) for the first time and hearing La Jeune Fille Aux Cheveux Blancs and thinking "this is so awesomely unique".

Now I understand most of the songs (I can't really sing along though, I'm not that good), and I can just marvel at the way the songs are written, especially Janine I, II and III.

If you ever see it anywhere, I heavily recommend her album "Live Au Trianon". It's probably one of my favourite albums I own. Hearing Janine III live is actually ex(h)illerating.

Let's make love.

... and listen (to) Death From Above.

Sorry, obligatory CSS reference.

Speaking of which, I need their new album to come out soon.

I remember putting on Le Fil (her A Cappella album) for the first time and hearing La Jeune Fille Aux Cheveux Blancs and thinking "this is so awesomely unique".

Le Fil isn't a cappella. There is use of instruments. It's mostly a cappella, however, using voices as instruments, similar, but less ingenious, to Medulla by Bjork.

Is the note that runs throughout Le Fil vocal, and one a loop, or artificial?

Yeah, the note that runs through Le Fil definately isn't vocal but i'm pretty sure it's a loop, no point in holding down a note on a synth for an hour when you can just loop it. And how can you think its completely A Capella? There's clearly a bass on Ta Douleur.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!