NEurope

What's with the Bjork pedastal, she's good, but not as special as some are making her out to be O_o

She sounds like Joanna Newsom but with Electronic music.

What's with the Bjork pedastal, she's good, but not as special as some are making her out to be O_o

She sounds like Joanna Newsom but with Electronic music.

And do you really believe that Joanna Newsom is not worthy of her pedestal? They're two fucking goddesses, unrivalled in their work, in different spaces in time.

Origin of Symmetry is a brilliant album :D Citizen Erased and Space Dementia are my favourites, what about you? (or anyone's favourite muse track)

Citizen Erased. Always and forever.

They may make better music than most people, but they're still just that. People.

They may make better music than most people, but they're still just that. People.

So is every other artist on the face of the earth. Your point falls flat right there. I have no interest in their persona as "people", all I care about is their artistic performance... for instance, if they die, I won't miss them, I'll miss their music. It's not them who are on pedestals, it's the music they created. And that's something that actually means something... unlike "people".

Anywho, I've now decided that Okay, Let's Talk About Magic by Fuck Buttons is the best song of 2008, so far.

I prefer Colours Move but you're not far from the money on that choice. Seeing them in a few weeks at ATP, there are rad times ahead.

I've been wondering the same thing for some time.

Only listened to black holes and revalations and Absolution so far but will listen to origin or symmetry soon :D

Absolutely Knights..its an amazing song.

Hysteria is the best, no doubt.

Also love Assassin, Stockholm Syndrome, Plug In Baby, The Small Print, Citizen Erased...I'll stop there, I could go on all day :smile:

Origin of Symmetry is a brilliant album :D Citizen Erased and Space Dementia are my favourites, what about you? (or anyone's favourite muse track)

Bliss is an absolute beast of a track. As soon as that comes on, the volume goes up to near maximum. :)

Origin is a frightfully good album. It should be illegal for music to be so sexy.

Rogue Traders - Better In The Dark is such a...consistent (not sure if that describes what I mean, but still) album. It's got to be the best Electro Pop/Dance Rock album I've heard in a long while.

I wish they'd have released it here. It cost me too much to import the thing. :p

It's much better than their first effort, which is also rather good.

Saw the Subways last night. Was amazing, so glad they're back. 3 years since their first album....damn. Charlotte was as hot as always (see my sig) yeah good night all round.

OH YEAH OH YEAH.

I prefer Colours Move but you're not far from the money on that choice. Seeing them in a few weeks at ATP, there are rad times ahead.

The whole album is a fucking colossal effort. Brilliant stuff, really. Street Horrrsing is right up there for best album of 2008 with obZen and Crystal Castles, so far, that is.

Saw the Subways last night. Was amazing, so glad they're back. 3 years since their first album....damn. Charlotte was as hot as always (see my sig) yeah good night all round.

OH YEAH OH YEAH.

Micro Cuts is brilliant by The Subways. Shit i mean Girls & Boys :P. Love The Subways really. Leeds 06 was amazing

Seeing Bjork last night has made me be able to die happy. Seriously.

She is beyond anything else musically to me.

If I had to say I worship anything as a god/deity, it'd be her music.

It was the greatest night of my life, and probab ly the best thing i'll ever see.

She played ALL my favourite songs, even Cover Me, a secret favourite of mine, and kept looking right at me (I was at the front), so I felt a real connection. Plus the fact that the end was so rave-ish I died.

Somebody please fight Hyper-Ballad/Freak mash, Pluto, then Declare Independance.

I saw Bjork in Manchester last night.

:heart:

It just feels like every other artist shouldn't even be called an artist when Bjork is around.

We were like three rows of people away from the stage, and during Hyperballad/Pluto, my ears and knees exploded because of the pulsation of the sound waves. At the end of Hyperballad it was actually like a visitation of Hecate, the goddess of the Underworld; like strobe lights and fuck-me electro beats causing a premature death to come to all that heard. Actually screaming down a micro-phone, yet it wasn't screaming because the sound was good to listen to. Like pleasantly powerful. Like controlling the various winds with her voice.

It is actually really strange. Watching Bjork perform Army Of Me. It's actually like she's vying for her place amongst the pagan gods. It's inspiring to watch. Screaming and jumping up and down in the crowd whilst laser beams are flying everywhere, the bass of the beats actually hurting my shins. But then, when the song ends, it's like the possession is over, and she returns to being a meek 5 foot-tall Icelandic woman, and says "Stzwank Yoo" quietly into the microphone, lest she offend someone. The contrast just feels really strange.

It bugs me when people say she can't sing. You may not like her voice, but she can sing. I mean, if you listen to Wanderlust, Pagan Poetry or All Is Full Of Love live, then come to the conclusion that she can't sing, I'm sorry but you've lost all credibility as a music-critic in my eyes. Pagan Poetry was superb. Actually, and literally, awesome (when I say literally here, I mean it. It was actually awe-inspiring). In the last verse before the "She loves him" part she stamps her foot and like waves her hand exactly in time with the beat/what she's singing and its just empowering. It's like she's actually singing for a reason. Then at the "She loves him" bit, the whole hall went deadly silent, for one and all knew that it would be the highlight of the song and probably the concert. She stood at the very front of the stage, so her face was in darkness, the lights behind her, and sung with such emotion you could almost see her body yearning to give itself up to her love.

Then there's the beautiful Cocoon. This was the first time I had actually heard the lyrics properly, and I never knew I loved it.

Who would have known

That a boy like him

Possessed a magical

Sensitivity?

Who would approach a girl like me

Who caresses, cradles his head

In her bosom

That song had never caught me from listening to the album, I always thought it was boring, but live it felt like it meant something. This concert only confirmed that you have to hear things live to really experience them.

At other gigs I've been to, it felt like the artist just sung their songs. With Bjork, it felt like she was actually performing.

At the end of Declare Independance (the last song), I was so drained by jumping up and down screaming "HIGHER! HIGHER!" for 6 minutes that I felt like I could collapse there and then, but the adrenaline wouldn't let me.

I've never heard anyone else that even compares to Bjork. I like Tegan and Sara and Camille and Joan As Police Woman and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and a host of others and I probably listen to their music more often than I do Bjork's, but realistically none of them can even start to say they are in the same league as her.

I think what makes her so great for me is that offstage she is meek and dares not be extrovert; but onstage, its like she has returned to her homerealm.

It just feels like every other artist shouldn't even be called an artist when Bjork is around.

We were like three rows of people away from the stage, and during Hyperballad/Pluto, my ears and knees exploded because of the pulsation of the sound waves. At the end of Hyperballad it was actually like a visitation of Hecate, the goddess of the Underworld; like strobe lights and fuck-me electro beats causing a premature death to come to all that heard. Actually screaming down a micro-phone, yet it wasn't screaming because the sound was good to listen to. Like pleasantly powerful. Like controlling the various winds with her voice.

It is actually really strange. Watching Bjork perform Army Of Me. It's actually like she's vying for her place amongst the pagan gods. It's inspiring to watch. Screaming and jumping up and down in the crowd whilst laser beams are flying everywhere, the bass of the beats actually hurting my shins. But then, when the song ends, it's like the possession is over, and she returns to being a meek 5 foot-tall Icelandic woman, and says "Stzwank Yoo" quietly into the microphone, lest she offend someone. The contrast just feels really strange.

It bugs me when people say she can't sing. You may not like her voice, but she can sing. I mean, if you listen to Wanderlust, Pagan Poetry or All Is Full Of Love live, then come to the conclusion that she can't sing, I'm sorry but you've lost all credibility as a music-critic in my eyes. Pagan Poetry was superb. Actually, and literally, awesome (when I say literally here, I mean it. It was actually awe-inspiring). In the last verse before the "She loves him" part she stamps her foot and like waves her hand exactly in time with the beat/what she's singing and its just empowering. It's like she's actually singing for a reason. Then at the "She loves him" bit, the whole hall went deadly silent, for one and all knew that it would be the highlight of the song and probably the concert. She stood at the very front of the stage, so her face was in darkness, the lights behind her, and sung with such emotion you could almost see her body yearning to give itself up to her love.

Then there's the beautiful Cocoon. This was the first time I had actually heard the lyrics properly, and I never knew I loved it.

Who would have known

That a boy like him

Possessed a magical

Sensitivity?

In her bosom

That song had never caught me from listening to the album, I always thought it was boring, but live it felt like it meant something. This concert only confirmed that you have to hear things live to really experience them.

At other gigs I've been to, it felt like the artist just sung their songs. With Bjork, it felt like she was actually performing.

At the end of Declare Independance (the last song), I was so drained by jumping up and down screaming "HIGHER! HIGHER!" for 6 minutes that I felt like I could collapse there and then, but the adrenaline wouldn't let me.

I've never heard anyone else that even compares to Bjork. I like Tegan and Sara and Camille and Joan As Police Woman and Yeah Yeah Yeahs and a host of others and I probably listen to their music more often than I do Bjork's, but realistically none of them can even start to say they are in the same league as her.

I think what makes her so great for me is that offstage she is meek and dares not be extrovert; but onstage, its like she has returned to her homerealm.

I am so jealous right now.

Seeing Bjork last night has made me be able to die happy. Seriously.

She is beyond anything else musically to me.

If I had to say I worship anything as a god/deity, it'd be her music.

It was the greatest night of my life, and probab ly the best thing i'll ever see.

She played ALL my favourite songs, even Cover Me, a secret favourite of mine, and kept looking right at me (I was at the front), so I felt a real connection. Plus the fact that the end was so rave-ish I died.

Somebody please fight Hyper-Ballad/Freak mash, Pluto, then Declare Independance.

Who would have known

That a boy like him

Possessed a magical

Sensitivity?

In her bosom

I hate you both

:blank:

What is all the fuss about Bjork?

*Acknowledges he is going to get flamed and is quite looking forward to it*

Now, I love Bjork and everything, but you can't go around saying that when she is around that she should be the only one called an artist. She's got nothing on Stockhausen, Cage, Reich, Riley, Derbyshire, Glenn Branca - these are THE important names for modern music, without which Bjork would be nowhere.

She makes some fantastic music, but in terms of innovation she has nothing on those guys. And they're all artists, they all make music to be challenging and to say something, thats what an artist is, what an artist does. Whether through challenging, artfully conventional pop songs as Bjork does or composing an entirely silent song which runs for 4 minutes and 33 seconds as Cage did.

So sure Bjork is a fantastic pop song writer, with an incredible taste in music, but she doesn't challenge our perceptions of music like the greats have done and will continue to do. The closest Bjork got to that was with Medulla.

Even so, I prefer her.

I wish she just got her wish, and was accepted into the pantheon of the greek gods. She's been trying long enough.

I have the same opinion as Chair, I just didn't write it down. I've been infatuated with her music for 3 years now, and I didn't realise until last night that I knew all the words to every song she played (even the made-up langauge bits).

I know it's massively elitist, or whatever, but it feels like people who don't get her are missing out on one of life's truths.

But interestingly, I can see why people wouldn't get her. If i (a MASSIVE Bjorkphile) take a step back and listen to it as background music, it sounds bit like "....ok right, its not bad, but yeah". But when it clicks, it adds to your brain. Like adds a new opinion on life to a stagnant repertoire.

I realised last night that Bjork would beat Tori Amos in a fight without even trying.

[/end]