N-Europe

Binge Drinking & Alcohol

conzer16

I've never really been out with my friends drinking, mainly because they don't go (Well if they do, i'm not invited)

However i do hear many people at school in the same year as me (Age 15/16) on about "Oh i can't wait to get wasted tonight", to me they sound abit pathetic.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised by how many people have never been drunk or don't drink its probably due to your ages or whats going on in your lives right now. I remember when I was 16 I stayed in one night playing Eternal Darkness didn't actually drink much but it was enough for me to puke all up my bedroom door and then puking for the rest of the next day. After that I didn't drink for a good 9 months as after that experience I just couldn't see the point.

Once I turned 18 though I got into drinking again didn't used to drink to much back then but used to go out every Friday and Saturday so was easily spending £100 a week on booze.

Now at the grand old age of 21 I usually go out once a week usually Thursdays as its nice and cheap I usually have half a bottle of JD before I come out then a few pints before we go to the club then in the club have another two beers. I usually wake up the next morning feeling rough but as long as I have had a good night I don't mind. Saying that most Thursdays you can find me in the club moaning with my mate about how they play the same tosh every week and how they should play more music from the Atlanta scene which they have started doing lately but nobody bloody gets it.

For example the music from Atlanta eg. Lil Jon is designing to get fucked dance like a nut get your lean on and have a good time yet all the ponses in the club still insist on dancing to it as if they're playing bloody Usher or something. Maybe I went a bit off subject there but thats my general view.

And for all those that need a drink to make them feel that extra bit fucked try Crunk Juice more commonly known as Hennessy and Red Bull

Go about once a week usually, unless it's the holidays, in which case, I would go out everyday. Drinks? I'd usually have about 11-14 pints, although it's more like 6 pints and about 8 or 9 shots. Last time I went out, I aquired a taste for green aftershock...mmmn. Going to a bar in Manchester is expensive though, so we often just grab a bottle of our favourite beverage each from Tesco, and go off to the cinema.

I used to drink loads, but since i've finished Uni I hardly drink anymore. Although having said that I have a mamoth session planned for the weekend. Back at uni I would have at least 2 nights out a week pretty much every week. Thats not to say I got trashed everytime though. My alchohol tollerance varies pretty massivley. Some nights I can be wrecked off 3 pints, some nights I can drink a whole bottle of JD and appear completly sober.

On the whole I prefer pubs to clubs, I hate the fact I cant hear what people are saying in clubs and the fact that 80% of the music is shit. However, if I get wasted they are great. So I guess it depends on what I want from the night out.

Drinks? I'd usually have about 11-14 pints, although it's more like 6 pints and about 8 or 9 shots.

LOL. Yeah alright. You're 17, you would be on the floor mate. 14 pints lol what you drinking? shandy? 9 Shots....Leave it out.

lol, you know, I couldn't help but think the same. Barely anyone I knew when we was around that age would be able to have more than 6 pints at the most, I'm not ashamed to say I was proper lightweight(hey, cheaper for me!) and could get tipsy enough on like 2-3 pints.

scubahood, how much was you drinking that it was costing you £100 a week?? I don't think I've ever broken £20 on drink on a night out drinking, and it'd be rare for me to get close to that unless I was somewhere super expensive.

I get drunk... Most nights. Usually I buy a small crate of cider, typically Old English due to the cheapness (£5 for 8 440ml cans). When I started uni, three cans would get me nicely tipsy, then it was up to 6 cans for the same effect. Last night I drank 9 and felt in control. Usually I can tell that I'm reaching the end of my sesh because my tongue starts feeling swollen, and I can't talk as efficiently as I want to!

A lot of the time I'm the only one getting drunk, most of the time a couple of the others will drink as well. We sit, talk, play games, watch movies, usual stuff. I don't always think that alcohol is NEEDED for fun, but I like the looseness that I get.

I don't like it when I'm drinking and someone says to me "you're drunk!" ... well yeah, that's kinda the point... I don't get drunk as an excuse to be a tit to society mostly because I avoid actually going out BECAUSE people are tits when they're drunk in clubs and bars and stuff.

As for underage drinking.. personally I'm glad I started drinking when I did, which was pretty much 14. If I had started drinking aged 18, I wouldn't know my limits, I wouldn't have those 4 years worth of experience of what I'm like when I'm drunk, what other people are like, where's nice to drink, where's not, what I like to drink, what gives me a worse hangover... et cetera, et cetera.

Of course, I'm talking about myself and my friends who were, on the whole, not out to cause trouble or wreck park climbing frames, and so on.

I can't stand cider :heh:

Even so, I'd like to say I'm glad I started drinking when I did, only because I'd be a different person if I hadn't, and I really like who I am, without singing my own praises or nothing lol. Thing is, now when I think back, I do sometimes think about the damage it's slowly doing to me, and how it might start to affect me soon, especially given that I'm of indian asian descent so I imagine my body isn't so tolerant to alcohol. Do you ever consider the damage it might be doing?

Ive only had a small amount of beer before, but i dont really like it much.

Who needs alcohol when you have appletizer? 100% pure pleasure

As far as I know, pretty much everyone is like that, I remember I used to be but now I quite like it, I think theres something about beer thats so different to anything else you can get, if that makes sense.

LOL. Yeah alright. You're 17, you would be on the floor mate. 14 pints lol what you drinking? shandy? 9 Shots....Leave it out.

Of course I'd be on the floor, that's the whole point :blank::heh:. I mean if I'm gonna go out for like 6 or 7 hours, then thats how much I'll have, if I'm popping out to get moderately hammered in about half an hour, then I'd have about 7-8 pints. I'm not shitting you. People always call me on this, but it's true. Maybe you lot just don't get as trashed as me.

Of course, if I'm out for the whole day, and staying over at a mates, I'll probably have a fuckload more. So fuck off with your self righteous bullshit, he asked, and he got an answer. It's totally shit though, cause I end up spending 40 quid and more sometimes on drink on a night out, but my mates buy a lot of it so it's alright.

Of course I'd be on the floor, that's the whole point :blank::heh:. I mean if I'm gonna go out for like 6 or 7 hours, then thats how much I'll have, if I'm popping out to get moderately hammered in about half an hour, then I'd have about 7-8 pints. I'm not shitting you. People always call me on this, but it's true. Maybe you lot just don't get as trashed as me.

Of course, if I'm out for the whole day, and staying over at a mates, I'll probably have a fuckload more. So fuck off with your self righteous bullshit, he asked, and he got an answer. It's totally shit though, cause I end up spending 40 quid and more sometimes on drink on a night out, but my mates buy a lot of it so it's alright.

7-8 pints in half hour? do me a favour. If you are drinking that much then you're a idiot. Especially in that short time scale.

Id rather get a wii game than spend £40 on getting wasted and feeling like shit. It cant be fun drinking that much. I couldnt drink that amount of anything without feeling/being sick. I usually only have 2 drinks, 3 tops, and that isnt even alcohol!

We all know Bard's tendency to embellish the facts.....:zzz:

I started this thread yet conveniently forgot to put forward my opinion :p

I normally only head out ever Saturday or Friday night when I'm at home, and maybe once/twice during the week in uni. On a typical night out I would drink about 5 pints of lager (usually Heineken, Fosters or Miller).

When I go out on a big night out I could have 7 or 8 pints and maybe 2 or 3 vodka and whites/limes, but that is very infrequently. Normally after about 6/7 pints I get into a hyper dance mood, and if I'm in a club I'll spend the rest of the night on the dance floor and almost be sober when I get home. It's very unusual for me to not remember what has happened the night before, and although it has happened before, I don't like it happening.

According to the BBC news article that Dante posted, binge drinking is 5 or more drinks in one sitting, well if that is what is defined as binge drinking then I'm a binge drinker. I am able to drink 5 drinks and still be in (almost) complete control of myself. I know alcohol lowers your inhibitions and your ability to see/think/act normally, but after 5 drinks I am relatively in control of myself. I would never, and I stress never drive a vehicle after even one drink.

I don't understand how binge drinking can be classified at a fixed number of units/drinks though. Surely as every person's alcohol tolerance levels are different, a binge drinking session varies in quantity from person to person?

I will admit, this Saturday (St. Patrick's Day :heh: ) is destined to be a heavy drinking day. I won't be drinking all day, but when i go to my local and then onwards to a club I know I will consume a lot of alcohol.

I'm looking forward to a great night, but I know I will remember it all.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all :D

[sorry, I rambled a bit!]

7-8 pints in half hour? do me a favour. If you are drinking that much then you're a idiot. Especially in that short time scale.

Why does that make me an idiot? It's what I like to do, I don't like it when me or my mates feel inhibited and self conscious, drinks for me and the people I spend time with are just so that we can have fun and do what we please. Interesting things happen, you're not so closed off. As for in that "space of time" I'm seventeen, I'm not totally self dependant, and I have schedules etc. If thats the amount of time I can fit it into, then I do. As for the smell, I just tell my parents that I've been in a bar, easy enough to believe. As for when I walk in and fall on my face though...:heh: Nah, thats never happened.

Id rather get a wii game than spend £40 on getting wasted and feeling like shit. It cant be fun drinking that much. I couldnt drink that amount of anything without feeling/being sick. I usually only have 2 drinks, 3 tops, and that isnt even alcohol!

It totally is fun, for me anyway...but maybe thats because I'm a tad compulsive by personality, I tend to drink more than my mates do, simply because I seem to have higher tolerance.

Actually, this happens everytime someone mentions anything about alcohol, so I'll stfu.

Why does that make me an idiot? .

Drinking a pint every 3 - 4 minutes. :blank:

Anyway whatever. Do what you like and if you are actually telling the truth then good luck to you and your liver. I just find it pointless to drink like that.

When I started college about a year and a half ago I was drinking way too much a couple of nights a week, but I eventually realised I was going way overboard and that drinking till I could barely walk or talk wasn't exactly fun..

So nowadays I generally drink 4 or 5 pints and leave it at that, if i'm in a club that's enough to make me be able to tolerate the music and to dance to it! There's the odd night where I drink more than that. Like last night, it was my college formal ball, and I drank a fair bit of wine on top of my usual few pints and a couple of shots as well but I wasn't too badly drunk. No hangover either, which shocked me considering I was mixing my drinks and that usually turns out bad for me.

Drinking a pint every 3 - 4 minutes. :blank:

Anyway whatever. Do what you like and if you are actually telling the truth then good luck to you and your liver. I just find it pointless to drink like that.

Well, this is the time to drink right? I'm a student, without any real responsibilities, so I'll make the most of it. I don't so much drink pints as pour them down my throat and go for another. Take a look at my Life of A Pro Nerd thread for example.

Why does that make me an idiot?

If you drink 8 pints in a half hour I fail to see how you've never fallen flat on your face.

Has it occurred to you, that the fact you need 7 or 8 pints just so you can be less inhibited by your own friends that you might have 1 of 2 problems if not both?

You are either a reclusive personality and/or a raging alcoholic.

Lol at 7-8 pints in half another whats your real name Billy Bullshit?

And in response to Rummys question it wasn't £100 on drink solely but more nights out as in drink, club entry, taxi, food etc. I did go through a stage of drinking JD in clubs biggest waste of money ever spent £18 just on JD could of gotten myself a bottle of the bloody stuff for that.

Another thing I wanted to add is regarding my hang overs when I don't drink so much I always puke the next morning where as when I drink a shit load sure I feel rough but I don't usually puke. Saying that I don't get out of bed till like 3 in the afternoon so the alcohol probably wears off

If you drink 8 pints in a half hour I fail to see how you've never fallen flat on your face.

Has it occurred to you, that the fact you need 7 or 8 pints just so you can be less inhibited by your own friends that you might have 1 of 2 problems if not both?

You are either a reclusive personality and/or a raging alcoholic.

I wouldn't call myself a raging alcoholic, seeing as it's not like I'm getting smashed at breakfast everyday, but yeah, I am kind of a reclusive personality, and I don't feel comfortable around people I don't know, or sometimes even with people I do know. When I go out, it's usually just 2-4 of us. I can't really see that as a bad thing, I just don't like big crowds. As for that matter, I don't need 8 pints, but once you start drinking, you don't want to stop.

Bard, what are you drinking pints of? Water? I'm pretty sure if you can manage 8 pints in half an hour you're some sort of medical miracle. Go tell your doctor so he can become famous and you can make lots of money!

I love this jackassed tendency people have of comparing others to themselves, and if something seems out of whack, they get all crazy on your asses. Back the fuck off, I don't really feel the need to justify myself to anyone, Conzer asked a harmless question and I answered it. As for Fields, we all know that nobody ever answers anything he says unless it's to rip him, but you'd think he'd figure out that nobody likes him by now.

Still, If you really want, I invite anyone to come down to Manchester and prove me wrong, who knows, could end up being a good night ;).