Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Banning of swords in the Uk

Chris the great

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are lots of people who are interested in guns and explosives, should they be allowed to collect them?

Actually, I believe if you have special permission, you are allowed to collect guns. Though I suppose then you could argue that those who want to own swords must have a licence of some sort, but then again, swords arn't exactly as discrete as guns.

I'm not signing because they're dangerous weapons that serve no purpose other than to cause bodily harm, and I believe they should be banned.

ps. Nice to see you back Chris, I seem to remember you were a good poster back in the day.

Martial arts involving swords? Art of the sword? People who take pride in their swordmaking abilities? The weapon isn't dangerous, it's the person who uses it and how they use it. In fact, anything could be a weapon in the right hands.

Also, like other people pointed out, when last did you hear about some sort of malicious sword related death, or even a non malicious one?

Apologies Fields, I didn't read the whole thread and missed that completely, I take that comment back. Still stand by the first part though.

In fact, having read that article about an incident from last may, I'm going to write to Tony Blair asking him to ban screwdrivers or at least set up a licensing system for them. Cars too.

Martial arts involving swords? Art of the sword? People who take pride in their swordmaking abilities? The weapon isn't dangerous, it's the person who uses it and how they use it. In fact, anything could be a weapon in the right hands.

Also, like other people pointed out, when last did you hear about some sort of malicious sword related death, or even a non malicious one?

Precisely.

If you read the thread, you will see that I have already posted a link to a recent news article about a brutal sword murder. I can post plenty more if you like.

Look at the related statistics, how many attacks are baseball bats related in in the UK? how many times have you seen kids play baseball? the fact is theres a bigger demand for baseball bats as weapons, yet they get away with it. In fairness, there are a few sword killings each year, but then theres a huge number of knife killings, and not just the usefull kitchen knife, go down to some of the shadier areas oif town and you will find pretty brutal knives on sale perfectly legaly, though clearly not designed for cooking or camping.

Well boomerangs are weapons too...let's ban them:indeed:

Oh....and sticks!!...And so are bow n arrows if I'm not mistaken...and rocks; let's ban them, and peashooters could be changed to be a weapon too:indeed:

People probably use gravity more than swords to kill people; so l think maybe we should deal with that bigger problem before swords.

Guest Stefkov

Its not like you can walk down the street and carry a 2 foot sword in your pants. Who actually uses swords for anything anymore, if anything is machetes and f they have machetes then they're mean mothers with a lot of machetes not just the one.

I just think is unfair to tose who want a sword for display purpose only.

What about those old people with swords from wars that their grandfathers or so used? They're just gonna take them away from them? What about their sentimental value?

I think the point is swords serve no real purpose other than to be a potential weapon, even if the majority of people do like to collect them (and I'm surprised so many people here do, what's that all about?). I would think many times that they are used as a weapon they weren't bought for that reason, but happened to be there when someone got angry.

I'm not desperate for them to be banned, but I think you need to look at both points of view.

I think the point is swords serve no real purpose other than to be a potential weapon

Thank you. That's the real issue here. People need knives to prepare food, baseball bats to play baseball etc. Swords are, by design, tools of violence. Whatever the realities of sword crime, I still find it very difficult to accept the fact that people can legally buy items that are designed to kill.

Its not like you can walk down the street and carry a 2 foot sword in your pants. Who actually uses swords for anything anymore, if anything is machetes and f they have machetes then they're mean mothers with a lot of machetes not just the one.

I just think is unfair to tose who want a sword for display purpose only.

What about those old people with swords from wars that their grandfathers or so used? They're just gonna take them away from them? What about their sentimental value?

have a WWII Japanese Machete, a 'prize' my Gandfather got apparently..Fuck knows why I've used it to cut things instead of keeping it nice:hmm: It's pretty tatty now though....

Thank you. That's the real issue here. People need knives to prepare food, baseball bats to play baseball etc. Swords are, by design, tools of violence. Whatever the realities of sword crime, I still find it very difficult to accept the fact that people can legally buy items that are designed to kill.

Well boomerangs are weapons too...let's ban them:indeed:

And so are bow n arrows if I'm not mistaken

You're suggesting swords are just used for killing...when for one they're not....Just like 2 other weapons.

I'm sure all the murderers get really angry and rush to find their bow and arrow.

It's not quite the same is it.

Well the same could be said for a sword.

Okay then...I'll use the axe as an example shall I?:indeed:

You're suggesting swords are just used for killing...when for one they're not....Just like 2 other weapons.

Boomerangs and bows are used for recreational activities. Axes are used for chopping wood. Swords are not. Sorry mate but your argument is severely flawed.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!