N-Europe

God of War II

Dante

God of War II will be a two disc set, with bonus materials on the second disc, including a diary of the game production. There is no special edition, and all copies will ship with both discs.

Release date

US March 13, 2007

Europe March 30, 2007

Story

Kratos is seen looking down on the destruction of Rhodes. Athena comes to Kratos and pleas that he stop destroying the cities of Greece, because the Gods are becoming increasingly angry. Athena warns Kratos that he is in her debt, because she gave him his throne. Kratos ignores Athena, saying he owes her nothing, at which Athena mumbles that then he has left her with no choice. Kratos descends to Rhodes himself. A crow-like creature flies over Kratos and starts draining his godly power, turning him into a mortal. The creature flies over the Colossus of Rhodes and brings the statue to life. Kratos then begins the battle against the Colossus, as it rages throughout the city.

Gameplay

After being stripped of most of his abilities, Kratos will be left with Blades of Athena and Poseidon's Rage to start out the game.

Kratos will be able to take flight on the back of Pegasus. In a recent gameplay of flight combat with the Pegasus, it appears that the combat will be similar to rail games such as Panzer Dragoon Orta in which Kratos can tell the Pegasus to move up, down, reverse, speed up, left, and right. Apparently if the Pegasus crashes or accelerates too quickly it will fall into a tumble in which the player must shake the analog stick to escape.

Another story trait that has been confirmed is that the relics will be more closely tied with the story, like obtaining the Golden Fleece to ward off the gaze of a Gorgon that is emblazoned on a temple door. Items like Cyclops eyes can only be obtained by completing mini-games.

There are new costumes with new abilities, and the costumes can be customized.

There will be a new "Challenge of the Titans" mode with 7 challenges, which is said to be very difficult, and includes a ranking system. There are bonuses for achieving the highest rank, however, the next level can be reached by achieving the lowest rank. There is a save feature in between rounds as well.

Another mode revealed is Arena of the Fates, in which the number and types of opponents can be customized. The experience points carry over to the main game. But, the Challenge of the Titans must be completed in order to play this mode.

Images

Videos

Reviews

1UP - 9.5

IGN - 9.7

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IGN said 'God of War II may in fact be the best action game ever made.'

Can't be better than RE4 can it?

Even though both are action games, they're totally different, so it's unfair to compair them. But man, I'm really looking forward to this, I'm glad they didn't make it for PS3.

According to guys at 1up it doesn't do 720p on PS3. Just 480p.

IGN posted a apology, they got it wrong. It doesn't do 720p sadly...

Still, it still looks the business and will be out of this world! Is 480p what a PS2 game normally runs at then?

Bingo! It would kill me to have to wait years to play it...

That's because God of War 3 is coming out for the PS3. :) Man I can't just wait to see that because 2 looks really damn good for a PS2 game.

Not all PS2 games have progressive scan, but if they do it's usually 480p. They are some exceptions like GT 4 that had 720p.

IGN posted a apology, they got it wrong. It doesn't do 720p sadly...

Still, it still looks the business and will be out of this world! Is 480p what a PS2 game normally runs at then?

It really does look amazing. I'm not sure whether to get it or not, might leave it a while and then get both God of War games.

Im not sure if that date is confirmed for Europe.

Just booted up the first game last night having only played to the end of the first boss. played loads and it is awesome but it is very much *hammer hammer hammer* on the pad. I enjoy dmc more as dante is one cool mofo and he does everything really slick. The way he whips out ebony and ivory kicks ass. But god of war is still amazing. very similar to PoP

It would be good to play the first one. Since it follows directly after in terms of story. It's not like playing the first one is bad neither. God of War is bloody brilliant. It's why it's so damn awesome that the second has somehow manage to surpass the first game.

Yeah I think it might be the next PS2 game I get once I get through my big stack of games to play.

Ok - I Just played through the demo - OMG Its incredible - Visually its absoloutely stunning even on a 26 inch HDTV. The game runs at a super smooth frame rate, even when theres 12 enemies circling you, 3 shooting arrows at you from the rooftops and a 100ft bronze colussal statue smashing the place up wildly like an extremely overgrown angsty teen. :)

The animation has been reworked - with new sets for all the combat moves you finished up with at the end of the first game. The sense of scale is immense - and really makes you wonder why we need a ps3 or 360 yet. With rumblings that this game is twice as long and even BETTER then the original - I cannot wait till i can sink my teeth in to this king of epic-ness in 2 weeks time :P

"ATHENA!!!!! YOU CONSPIRE AGAINTST ME??"

*Insert epic god of war fanfare.

Any questions?