N-Europe

Laptops

Jav_NE

Right, i'm buying a laptop with the price range of only up to £500. Now, i know there's not much choice but i was wondering if i could get your opinion.

I've been teetering on getting a Dell from their website. If i make one with the stuff i'd need i think it comes to £440. the question i have is, are Dell's any good? My g/f's dad seems to think they are prone to problems with poor customer support.

The problem is, the only other options are makes i've never heard of and don't trust anyway, like some EI Systems laptops from PC World.

Or do you know of any offers at the moment? I just need it for internet access and word purposes really, though a nice quality screen for watching DVD's would be nice, and being able to burn DVD's would be good. Memory isn't so much an issue but i guess it helps performance.

A few of my friends, my sister and my cousin all have Dell notebooks and have never had problems with them, in fact they've all been pretty impressive, though sub-£500 leaves out the best ones. I don't usually have much love for Dell but they seem to do notebooks better than desktops.

Never thought I'd suggest this but... have you considered the dark side? For your purposes you might find it ideal. Plus, all the cool kids are doing it these days.

I assume you mean laptops and notebooks as a desktop is a big tower PC with a separate monitor. Laptops and notebooks are the same thing with a different name, basically notebooks are the ones that get too hot to put on your lap so they call them notebooks instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Go with Dell, they sell some very nice and reliable laptops and are usually cheaper than everywhere else in regards to what you get. Furthermore they do a lot of offers such as free double memory which is a great bonus! Plus their customer service is very good.

I bought a Dell XPS notebook last summer. Although it cost me almost £1300, I use it for gaming and it actually performs better than most of my friends desktops.

Back to the topic, I'd recommend Dell.

Some of Dell's stuff is killer. Lenovo are also good for business type laptops. HP have a killer tablet/laptop right now called TX1020.

Also check out Sony. Models like the SZ series have no competition as they are lightweight yet powerful. You have to pay for the honour however.

you will get a beter spec laptop for the price of a mac.

You know (here I am all mac again), hardware is as good as it's software. Macs might not be the most powerfull books in the world, but they've got a great, optimized, operating system. So you can do things as good on a mac as on a 'better' windows computer. That's why you're wrong, thirtynine. And your avatar annoys me like hell. Anyway, it scares the hell out of me.

I've got a iBook G4 and compared to recent windows computers mine is as fast as a nine-medal olympic runner. Compared to the bronze medal for the 100-meter, that is. Sorry.

You know (here I am all mac again), hardware is as good as it's software. Macs might not be the most powerfull books in the world, but they've got a great, optimized, operating system. So you can do things as good on a mac as on a 'better' windows computer. That's why you're wrong, thirtynine. And your avatar annoys me like hell. Anyway, it scares the hell out of me.

Its called linux my friend.

(writing this on 3 year old P4 3.2Ghz, 1024Mb, Radeon 9600M laptop)

Guest Stefkov

I really want a laptop, a cheap powerful one. One that would run photoshop but also WoW and other games.

However I dont know what to look for. I've had my mind set on an alienware for a while, however flicking through a laptop magazine in WHSmith said the battery life for one of them was 88 minutes.

I remember a long while ago Jordan posted a pic of the latop he had, someone else had the same howerver I cant remember what it was.

I wish I knew what to look for for my specs.

I really want a laptop, a cheap powerful one. One that would run photoshop but also WoW and other games.

However I dont know what to look for. I've had my mind set on an alienware for a while, however flicking through a laptop magazine in WHSmith said the battery life for one of them was 88 minutes.

I remember a long while ago Jordan posted a pic of the latop he had, someone else had the same howerver I cant remember what it was.

I wish I knew what to look for for my specs.

It was me, and just make sure it hasnt got intergrated graphics, look for Geforce go in the specs. If you need any info just PM me.

Guest Stefkov

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5200 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Basic Package, 2 Year At-Home Service

15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)

160GB (5,400 rpm) Sata Hard Drive

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software

256MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 HyperMemory™ graphics card

(Is this any good?)

Caris I took your advice and went onthe Deel website and this was conjured up. The RAM and the HDD are upgraded, offer ending today. I just had a chat with my dad who sounds like hes trying to persuade me out of getting a laptop. I really want tone, but I actually cant think of any other eason for getting one. MY pc is alright its not struggling. I dont need one for Uni fora while. But I want one, and thats not a valid enough reason damn.

The graphics card is not stellar. You should get at least an X1600 or 7600 (GF) for any real graphical performace. An X1400 is as good as an integrated chip. Also, if it says 'HyperMemory technology', it's PR-talk for this chip is cheapass. The rest of the system is ace though.

What's your target price?

Guest Stefkov

Damn right thanks. Thats annoyed me. Gotta look for a new one now.

What about a 128MB NVidia GeForce 6100 Graphics?

Thats on the laptop Caris bought. That comes with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL 50 Processor 1.6GHz though, thats not a very good chip isnt it?

Damn right thanks. Thats annoyed me. Gotta look for a new one now.

What about a 128MB NVidia GeForce 6100 Graphics?

Thats on the laptop Caris bought. That comes with AMD Turion 64 X2 TL 50 Processor 1.6GHz though, thats not a very good chip isnt it?

CPU is fine (though Core 2 Duo is much better), but if the type number ends in something below blabla-600-blabla for either brand, it's only suited for office work.

For WoW and Photoshop you should really look for the X1600Pro or 7600GS or up. Thing is, GPUs are especially pricey in laptops because they're not sold seperately. Therefore, powerful chips only come with powerful other hardware, making the package far more expensive.

If you could wait though, it might be worth it to wait for the DirectX 10-compatible chips to come out. They should make things run more smoothly and be more powerful for their price in general.

EDIT: I've found the first laptop you posted and you can upgrade the graphics to a 7900GS, which is a great chip. It's pricey though. The system now comes with a free extra gigabyte of RAM (at least in the NL) which is excellent for Vista.