NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Boo

360 or Wii? tempted for 360...

I was talking about console bundles, the Xbox 360 deals are far better than the Wii ones and actually bring the prices down to just about level.

As you decided to go down this road though:

Wiimote + Nunchuck retails at £45, 360 Wireless controller retails at £33. Bit more than a £5 difference, especially if you add a classic controller on top of that.

New Xbox 360 games might be a little bit more (£40 to the Wii's £35) but again there are some excellent deals around at the moment. Argos are doing 2 for £40 on some brilliant 360 games and Tesco have some good games at £18.

Right now the 360 is the better machine, it has a decent back catalogue of games, many of which are available on the cheap. Microsoft seem to be doing a good job of keeping gamers involved in the community and keeping them informed about what is going on.

The Wii on the other hand has a limited catalogue of games, all at full price. The release radar is looking a bit confused and Nintendo dont seem to be in the mood for telling us what will be happening when (online play, connect24 updates, game releases).

Actually you are wrong. Xbox 360 games retail for 10 pounds* more than Wii's games, and wireless controllers cost only 5 £ pounds less than wiimote + nunchuk combo. So if you start to buy new games, gap just widens and fast. Of course, I don't know anyone these days who would actively buy their games on full retail price. Doesn't make any sense when stuff comes rather quickly to discount bins.

* 39 vs. 49.

Take a look on Gameplay, they're only £5 more expensive there. Isn't the wireless controller £35 and the Wiimote/nunchuk £45?

Edit - Why did I think 360 games were £37.99 on Gameplay?

Edit - Why did I think 360 games were £37.99 on Gameplay?

They did knock a couple of quid off selected 360 games before christmas, stopped doing it now though.

The problem with the 360 is that the games seem to expect that you have no unonline friends.

I don't really know what you mean. I have played Gears Of War, Kameo, ... offline multiplay. No online. I never play online that often, so I don't even bought XBox Live Gold (just silver for some downloads) but that's it...

The problem with the 360 is that the games seem to expect that you have no unonline friends.

Bullshit. I've played the 360 and loved it whilst offline (often with frieds round playing multiplayer) on holiday/when my internet fails like it does weekly. I'm not denying the experience is improved when on Live (Not mentioning the fact that the Wii has no online service AT ALL except for Wi-Fi connection. Which is more of a joke than anything else), because it is. But offline or not, the 360 is the way to go.

Well:

The Wii has not yet launched its Internet Playing things so I would say we should wait until that one got released (although I don't think it will be that brilliant but it will do what it shall do connect players to play online - question is just how it does this, lobby or ...)

I don't really know what you mean. I have played Gears Of War, Kameo, ... offline multiplay. No online. I never play online that often, so I don't even bought XBox Live Gold (just silver for some downloads) but that's it...

Interestingly enough there was discussion about this on Penny-Arcade forums, and yeah, we came to conclusion that that number of games that offer four player split-screen multiplayer mayhem is decreasing in next generation. This is seems to be true no matter what platform is. You find two player games, but four player games seems to be way more rarer.

Im confused. 1 person said it was £40 and someone else said £20. Which price is right and do you have to pay monthly?

Engadget reports that Microsoft is busy working on a second version of Xbox 360 codenamed 'Zephyer':

Quote:

The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered

Bullshit. I've played the 360 and loved it whilst offline (often with frieds round playing multiplayer) on holiday/when my internet fails like it does weekly. I'm not denying the experience is improved when on Live (Not mentioning the fact that the Wii has no online service AT ALL except for Wi-Fi connection. Which is more of a joke than anything else), because it is. But offline or not, the 360 is the way to go.

It's amazing that so many games only have online multiplayer though ey?:indeed:

Im confused. 1 person said it was £40 and someone else said £20. Which price is right and do you have to pay monthly?

The Xbox live subscription pack is a one off purchase that gives you access for 12 months. You get a card in the pack and validate it online (Like with nintendo star points).

The RRP asking price is about £40, but some places are clearing out their old Xbox stuff and have failed to realise the old live packs are completely valid for 360 Live. If you shop around there is a possibility you can find them still (As I said Comet at last check were doing them for £20 with Splinter cell and a Xbox live headset).

360 is decent for offline and online. Id suggest before even thinking about getting one, if you can get it set-up online. It makes it so much better. When i had no internet for 2 weeks, my 360 didnt get used either.

It's amazing that so many games only have online multiplayer though ey?:indeed:

What on earth are you on about? :blank:

Plenty of gamers are capable of playing both on and offline games. And the 360 is more capable than the Wii in both departments anyway.

It really depends what you want really. As far as I'm concerned, both machine's offer different things.

Before puchasing a console, I have to ask myself a few questions, such as:

"Will I really enjoy this?"

"Will I definitely be purchasing titles for this machine in a year or two down the line. Beyond?"

"Will others have fun, too?"

When I mean others, I mean multiplayer. It plays a very, very important part of gaming, for me. That's why I value games like Mario Party, or SSB: Melee, and that's for their multiplayer aspect.

If you're really not sure about which machine to purchase, maybe it's best to wait a while for things to pan out a bit, then you'll feel more comfortable spending your money.

Maybe ask yourself a few questions, too. Like I sorta did.

What on earth are you on about? :blank:

He just simply stated that many games don't have local multiplayer anymore, only online. This is at least partially true.

And the 360 is more capable than the Wii in both departments anyway.

Yoda voice: "specs don't make console". If there isn't really anything worth playing, technical capabilities aren't really worth anything. X360 does have terrific games, and worth the price, but statement like this sounds somewhat stupid to my ear (IMO, of course).

Yoda voice: "specs don't make console". If there isn't really anything worth playing, technical capabilities aren't really worth anything. X360 does have terrific games, and worth the price, but statement like this sounds somewhat stupid to my ear (IMO, of course).

That's not what I meant. That's not what I meant at all. And it's not what I said either :p

I meant that it already has offline play wraped up. Not that it had the specs had any bearing on which machine was worth owning at the moment.

I couldn't care less about the specs. It's about the games.

[/i]

As someone else, you can buy an old Xbox Live Starter Kit for £39.99 which includes a microphone and a few Xbox (not 360) game demos. These aren't actually made anymore and many shops are selling them cheaper than RRP. You can buy subscription cards in either 1, 3 or 12 month options. 1 month is £5.99 (or maybe £4.99), 3 months is £14.99 and 12 months is £39.99, so you're better of getting 12 months.

It's all on http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/

Ah cool, that doesnt sound as bad as i thought it would be! cheers guys.

Could someone find me a premium xbox bundle then? cheers for help, everyone is so useful here.

Ah cool, that doesnt sound as bad as i thought it would be! cheers guys.

Could someone find me a premium xbox bundle then? cheers for help, everyone is so useful here.

I think that you are little bit too late on that. Biggest and smallest retailers might have some copies lying around, but I'm believing it is lost cause. :hmm:

how much will it cost me then?

I don't know about prices, but finding them can be problematic. Most shops were quickly ransacked when Xbox 360 hit the shelves.

best deal ive found of late: http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=XB2PR04

That pack probably the best buy around at the moment and available at Gameplay, Woolworths and loads of other retailers for £300. Last time i was in GAME they had bundle deals with this pack in, thing it was £309 with Smackdown

Argos have some good games in 2 for £40 at the moment

EDIT: Next best price i can find, same pack but for £289. http://www.simplygames.com/info/14591/XBox-360-Console--Premium-System-Entertainment-Bundle-XB360

Just in case you dont want to order from ShopTo

You'd get the best deal buying instore. I got my 360 with PG3, Live Arcade, an extra pad, and any game (I took GoW, and they gave me the special edition) for £300. On top of that when buying they said I could buy any game for £20. So I got Viva Pinata.

Engadget reports that Microsoft is busy working on a second version of Xbox 360 codenamed 'Zephyer':

Quote:

The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered

Yeah that's the only thing making me question buying a 360 now!

I've been looking around for 360 bundles and there are 2 great ones at play.com;

This is the best one but is currently SOLD OUT! - Worth waiting around for??

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/3294018/XBox_360_Premium_Console_+_Gears_of_War_+_Entertainment_Pack/Product.html

£299.99 - Premium Console, Gears of War, PGR3, XBox 360 Live Arcade game, 20GB Hard Drive, 2 Wireless Controllers, Headset - Voice Communicator, Component HD AV Cable (with SCART adaptor)

Then there's this one which I think is the same as has been listed before in this thread;

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/3274399/XBox_360_Premium_Console_Entertainment_Bundle/Product.html

Sign in to follow this